It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if your online friend was an enemy in war

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The internet has made the world such a small place, with people from all nations talking on boards such as this. If world war three were to break out and you came across someone who you realised you had enjoyed speaking with online and had got to know well (perhaps you had sent photos to each other and recognised them straight away) would you hesitate on the battlefield?
I really don't know how I would react in that sort of situation. I think that it would be an awful decision to have to make.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
hopefully we will never have to make any sort of decision like that in our lives. if it were to happen, one would just probably hesitate but have to deal with it.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   
One of best friends lives in Scotland. We discuss world events and do not always see eye to eye but we discuss them. If by chance I met him on the battlefield, there is NO WAY I could hurt him. I would rather die for him. Just the way Iam.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Boy thats a tough one
I guess it would depend on what the war was about to me. If it was a war for freedom and my friend was on the opposing side(against freedom) then I think I would not hesitate to take them out. I cant imagine anyone being an influence on me in that way when it would come to my families freedom and their rights. This is how I feel I would react if this were the case. If the war was of another kind then I really dont know.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
A friend is a friend no matter where they are from or their personal beliefs as long as you are considered friends. How could you even think about killing them unless of course they were terminally ill or were about to die a long and painful death for some strange reason? Unless some drastic matters came up between you and couldnt be worked out and in turn that led to hate for one another and therefore the only revenge that would be an acceptable outcome would be death to the other individual........but thats only in extreme circumstances though.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 06:00 PM
link   
This is a very very very very bad situation. If he was the enemy, and this was the last battle to win the war, would I take the shot? Probably no. If he was firing at me, and I wasn't being hostile to him, would I defend myself? There is circumstances involved for something like this, but probably no.

-wD

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   

A friend is a friend no matter where they are from or their personal beliefs as long as you are considered friends. How could you even think about killing them unless of course they were terminally ill or were about to die a long and painful death for some strange reason? Unless some drastic matters came up between you and couldnt be worked out and in turn that led to hate for one another and therefore the only revenge that would be an acceptable outcome would be death to the other individual........but thats only in extreme circumstances though.

This is true but my family is far more important than any friend. I know this sounds kind of cruel but for me this is my belief. Besides that, if one would have to kill 1 to save a 100 then what would your answer be? War isnt pretty and sacrifices have to be made.

This is a little of subject but how in the heck do you quote with it showing the original poster. I cant seem to make it happen unless I type it in. Is there another way?

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DipSchnit

This is a little of subject but how in the heck do you quote with it showing the original poster. I cant seem to make it happen unless I type it in. Is there another way?

I had the same problem and had to post in questions to find out. there is a button in the top right hand corner of peoples posts that says quote. you have to click that

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Oh ok. Thanks for the tip Pantha:roll

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
What are the off chances that you would even recognize someone in all that crap BEFORE you blast them on reflex?

If you cant fight a war against all your enemies dont be a soldier

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuTroll
What are the off chances that you would even recognize someone in all that crap BEFORE you blast them on reflex?

If you cant fight a war against all your enemies dont be a soldier

Vaid point........I agree

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Isn't this what people had to face in the Civil War, family against family, friend against friend.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Usually people respond to their instinct in times of great stress or danger.

Even if that cyber friend would not kill you then annother person of the other side would. Would you be able to avoid that?

It would help to agree beforehand to not harm each other but then you are taking a risk but a calculated risk though.

Funny question,

why do you ask?

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Years ago I saw a cool cowboy movie about two friends who were real close when they were teenagers.

They practiced quickdrawing often and were both very fast at it.

They drifted apart and went out into the big world to prove that they were the fastest draw around. Until eventually they had to face each other and find out who was the fastest draw.
They were all grown up and real mean killers by this time, and they met at the old shack where they used to hang out and practice shooting when they were young.

They looked at each other with contempt and hate, knowing that soon they would have to try and kill each other.

Then one of them pulled out a joint and said "Let's have a smoke, like we did in the old days, before we fight it out."

So they smoked the joint and suddenly were able to see what life had done to them. How it had turned them into ruthless killers and ruined the friendship they once had.

They both gave up the idea of killing each other and became close friends again.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
The internet has made the world such a small place, with people from all nations talking on boards such as this. If world war three were to break out and you came across someone who you realised you had enjoyed speaking with online and had got to know well (perhaps you had sent photos to each other and recognised them straight away) would you hesitate on the battlefield?
I really don't know how I would react in that sort of situation. I think that it would be an awful decision to have to make.
You have no choice! Once you are an agent of the government, you are brainwashed to act out every order of your superiors
If I was there in that situation, yes, it would be awful!
But, let's not forget that soldiers are soldiers, and theyare trained to KILL!

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Usually people respond to their instinct in times of great stress or danger.

Even if that cyber friend would not kill you then annother person of the other side would. Would you be able to avoid that?

It would help to agree beforehand to not harm each other but then you are taking a risk but a calculated risk though.

Funny question,

why do you ask?

it's just that the world really is getting to be a smaller place and the likely hood of coming across people ,that years ago there was very little chance that you would have even known about ,is growing larger. Before I got internet access I would never have had the chance to interract with the variety of different people that I have.
It would be nice to think that the more we communicate across the globe the more tolerant we will become of other peoples views and way of life. I think that if I went to america for example I would now be wondering if I had ever talked to any of the people that I came across, online before.
I know if it came down to it you would have to defend yourself in any given situation but it is obviousley easier if your enemy was just another face. I expect that one day computers will have some sort of built in web cam and the world will seem even smaller when you can see so many people from around the world. The chances of coming across a face that you recognise would be even smaller then.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 04:58 AM
link   
There is only one choice to make: don't kill I would never fight in a war so I wouldn't have to make this choice. I would rather be locked awau in prison then have to kill other people just like. It would be so terrible to see somebody you knew on the battle field on the opposing side.

Then one of them pulled out a joint and said "Let's have a smoke, like we did in the old days, before we fight it out."

So they smoked the joint and suddenly were able to see what life had done to them. How it had turned them into ruthless killers and ruined the friendship they once had.

I think that's what the world leaders should do. sit round a table, smoke a few joints and then I think they'd see their problems were alot easier to solve if they weren't just out for their own greed and interests.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
There is only one choice to make: don't kill I would never fight in a war so I wouldn't have to make this choice. I would rather be locked awau in prison then have to kill other people just like. It would be so terrible to see somebody you knew on the battle field on the opposing side.

I think that's what the world leaders should do. sit round a table, smoke a few joints and then I think they'd see their problems were alot easier to solve if they weren't just out for their own greed and interests.

Didnt they do that in ALI G the movie?

P.s. worked in that too!

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I havn't seen that movie, It's just adream I have every now and then.

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha

would you hesitate on the battlefield?

On the battlefield, hesitating is equal to dieing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join