It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone remeber Starlite plastic it was meant to be indestructable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 04:33 AM
link   
back in 1990's a guy made a new discovery with some sort of substance that could be coated on anything, it made what was coated highly laser, nuke, fire, bullet everything proof, they tested it on world s most pwerfull laser and it almost destroyed the laser, it has the ability to convert power into protective energy, so that when a force is put on it it would become stronger. Nasa and the us military bought it for a tidy sum, and it has not been heard of since that.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
back in 1990's a guy made a new discovery with some sort of substance that could be coated on anything, it made what was coated highly laser, nuke, fire, bullet everything proof, they tested it on world s most pwerfull laser and it almost destroyed the laser, it has the ability to convert power into protective energy, so that when a force is put on it it would become stronger. Nasa and the us military bought it for a tidy sum, and it has not been heard of since that.

I have designed various polymers in the past and have never heard of this. I mostly worked with free-foaming PVC and never really had to make compunds that would be tested by the military. I imagine though, with my knowledge on plastics that that is not that far fetched. Plastics are extremely good at holding heat and spreading it evenly throught the "part". Some compounds in platics' such as the stabilizars can be changed to make the product have a harder skin, which makes heat reflect off it like a mirror. The possibilities with Plastics are endless.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Sounds like Unobtaineum (The Core).

I had never heard of this either; a search using various keywords on Google didn't provide anything similar.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Well menkind can already make nano tubes of about 50,000 miles lang and the thickness of less then a piece of paper, with on that an elevator so perhaps they also found such a thing allready

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
-edit- double post

[Edited on 30-11-2003 by LeenBekkemaa]

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeenBekkemaa
of less then a piece of paper

The measurement is called "micron" or "microns", less than half the thickness of a human hair.

I have seen some awsome and crazy stuff, even after seeing with my own eyes what man is capable of, I still find it hard to believe.

So, nothing really surprises me these days.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
i remember Horizon on bbc1 or 2 did a documentary about it or was it that other show similar to Horizon cant remember name, but it was done about 4 years ago i think god i cant remeber how long ago it was in 1990's, so a documentary exists about it.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
where does teflon ,and kevlar fit in to this ,were'nt they disigned for the nasa space program?.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   
where does teflon ,and kevlar fit in to this ?

they fit no where in to this subject.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   
www.alternativescience.com...

Too hot to handle

In April 1993, the defence magazine Jane's International Defence Review announced the discovery by a British amateur inventor, Maurice Ward, of a thin plastic coating able to withstand temperatures of 2,700 degrees Centigrade

The reason why it was a defence magazine who first published news of This revolutionary invention is that the coating is so resistant to heat that it can make tanks, ships and aircraft impervious to the effects of nuclear weapons at quite close range -- and hence is of great interest to the military mind.

A little later that year the whole nation had an opportunity to see for themselves the effectiveness of Maurice Ward's new paint on BBC Television when it was featured on "Tomorrow's World". Presenter Michael Rodd showed viewers an ordinary chicken's egg that had been painted with the new coating. The paint was so thin it was not visible. Rodd then dramatically donned welder's visor and gauntlets, lit up an oxyacetylene torch, and played the flame directly onto the egg for several minutes.

When he removed the flame, and cracked the egg on the table top, viewers were able to see that the coating was so heat resistant that the egg was still raw and had not even begun to cook.

This invention, a simple paint that can render anything impervious to very high temperatures, has been the holy grail of chemical research for more than fifty years. Teams of scientists in the world's greatest industrial and defence laboratories have poured billions of pounds and hundreds of man-years into the search for such a substance -- a quest which made Ward's discovery even more extraordinary.

Ward's invention is remarkable enough, but the story of how he came to make it, and the resistance he encountered in getting anyone to believe him, is even more remarkable.

Maurice Ward comes from Blackburn and has no professional scientific background. The closest he has come to the chemical industry was when, as a young man, he drove a fork lift truck in the warehouse of ICI. For the past two decades, he has earned a living as a ladies hairdresser.

Part of his income was derived from selling his customers hair preparations such as shampoo, conditioner and hairspray. To maximise his income he rented a small workshop, bought standard chemicals and mixed and bottled his own brand hair products.

In the best traditions of Ealing Comedy, it was when playing around mixing up chemicals in his 'skunk works' that Ward stumbled on the formula that had eluded the finest minds in chemical research.

Realising at once the value of his invention, Ward wrote to Britain's major chemical companies, offering to demonstrate his material to them. Every one sent him the standard brush-off letter they send to cranks and crackpots. After the "Tomorrow's World" demonstration, Ward stopped getting the brush-off and starting getting offers instead.

One consequence of his contacts with chemical companies was that the head of research of ICI's paint laboratory left the firm and went into partnership with Ward to exploit the discovery commercially.

One other interesting consequence is that the large corporations who had rejected his initial approaches in such a knee-jerk fashion, conducted internal inquests to find out what had gone wrong, both with their own research and with their dealings with the outside world.

On the face of it, it was perfectly understandable that Ward's claims should be ignored since he was merely an amateur, with no scientific training and no track record in research.

ICI's own paints laboratory held an internal audit and what they found puts this claim in an entirely different light. For the audit showed that the most scientifically qualified of its research chemists had contributed to the least number of patents, and the fewer scientific qualifications the staff possessed, the greater the number of patents they had contributed to. In the most striking case of all, the person who had contributed to most ICI's patents had no scientific qualifications at all.

It seems that Maurice Ward's greatest strength as a researcher was that he had not been taught how to think.

In the light of examples such as this, the phrase 'Alternative Science' seems less a contradiction in terms and more a harbinger of something that professional science is likely to see more and more of in future.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This reminds me of the "Fire Paste" that Troy Hurtubise (the guy from Project Grizzly) has created.

www.improb.com...

"Troy Hurtubise says he doesn�t feel the heat, even with a 2,000� C blowtorch flame blazing at his head.

Hurtubise has invented a physics-defying substance called fire paste, which he claims eliminates the cross-transfer of heat and prevents anything coated in the substance from burning up."

I've seen the helmet demonstration on Daily Planet and it was pretty neat. Actually, I think I seen him at Wal-Mart...

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by aadombom
This reminds me of the "Fire Paste" that Troy Hurtubise (the guy from Project Grizzly) has created.

www.improb.com...

"Troy Hurtubise says he doesn�t feel the heat, even with a 2,000� C blowtorch flame blazing at his head.

Hurtubise has invented a physics-defying substance called fire paste, which he claims eliminates the cross-transfer of heat and prevents anything coated in the substance from burning up."

I've seen the helmet demonstration on Daily Planet and it was pretty neat. Actually, I think I seen him at Wal-Mart...

It takes a lot to impress me and I just have to say that this stuff IS IMPRESSIVE! The applications of it are endless. I just hope that the consumer gets the best part of this stuff, its price! Only one thing bothers me and that is the fact that this stuff isn't commercially available yet. What's keeping this guy from producing it? If not but for novelty purposes it would be a great sell.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   
You could make lava suits, where a person could 'swim' in a volcano.

That would be cool.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ok, now that the power has had its hiccup (It went off three times as I was trying to reply to this). According to the article:

And the ingredients are cheap too.

�I can buy a 45-gallon drum of one of the main ingredients,� Hurtubise said, �for five bucks.�

Now, in the most recent interview with him a couple of weeks ago, he had the paste tested at a lab and he revealed that one of the main ingredients is Diet Coke. Now, if the whole product was made with common materials such as this, I couldn't see the price being too high. Also, could anyone venture a guess as to what that drum might be of?

As for a lava suit, I'm not exactly sure how long the fire paste lasts, but, I'd agree that it certainly would be neat.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   
This stuff sounds neat. Go skydiving from space, through the atmosphere... Whole new area of extreme sports.

What could be keeping him from producing it? You said it yourself, the stuff would be so cheap that it would hardly make any money, the guy could make more money selling it to the government.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
LOL! Just love it!

I always say that science is just too damned important to leave to scientists.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
This stuff sounds neat. Go skydiving from space, through the atmosphere... Whole new area of extreme sports.

What could be keeping him from producing it? You said it yourself, the stuff would be so cheap that it would hardly make any money, the guy could make more money selling it to the government.

If he owned the patent to the formula, he could charge basically whatever he wanted. BUT since he's already said it's so cheap to make he would probably receive a double whammy... 'for $5.00 you get 45 gallons then try to sell it to us at HOW much??'. Seriously, this stuff has limitless applications; I want to see it in production.

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Final_Wave

Originally posted by aadombom

www.improb.com...

It takes a lot to impress me and I just have to say that this stuff IS IMPRESSIVE! The applications of it are endless. I just hope that the consumer gets the best part of this stuff, its price! Only one thing bothers me and that is the fact that this stuff isn't commercially available yet. What's keeping this guy from producing it? If not but for novelty purposes it would be a great sell.

I just saw this on TV 2 days ago. He doesn't have it patented yet. I would assume he needs to find an investor or someone to buy the patent from him once he gets it patented before they could mass produce it.

new topics

top topics

join