posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:24 PM
As of right now, the Wrestlemania card is starting to take shape and aside from the two confirmed matches, there seems to be a bunch of matches that
are all but confirmed by WWE. Below are a list of matches that are rumored to take place at the year's biggest event:
- It is heavily rumored that Chavo Guerrero will defend his newly won Cruiserweight Title against Paul London at Wrestlemania. Many backstage are
pleased with this as many such as Eddie & Chavo Guerrero as well as Rey Mysterio have been pushing for the Cruiserweight since early 2004.
- Of course, it is pretty obvious to anyone that Kurt Angle will accept Shawn Michaels' challenge and we will have our first inter-promotional match
of Wrestlemania. Many backstage are saying this could be the match of a lifetime and will definitly steal the show.
- As the reports lately confirm, it is being said that WWE is scraping its plans to go with Undertaker & Kane Vs. Heidenreich & Snitsky for Undertaker
Vs. Randy Orton. This seems to be the better path to go as Orton seems to have no other big plans, and a high profile match-up could give Orton the
momentum he needs. Many backstage are saying that Orton will defeat the Dead Man after turning heel in the match. On a side note, Undertaker is
expected to retire from WWE competition by this summer.
- According to one backstage source, one agent backstage pitched the idea of Christian Vs. Edge at this year's Wrestlemania, with Christian playing
the face and Edge playing the heel. This was only pitched by one agent and was met to mixed reviews by the creative team, so take that with a grain of
salt as of now.
- Opponents for the WWE Tag Team, Word Tag Team, & Intercontinental champions are not yet known; however, it is expected that Eddie Guerrero & Rey
Mysterio will lose and Guerrero will turn heel on Mysterio thus setting up a big storyline and feud between the two.
- The Women's Championship is scheduled to be defended against Alexis Laree, an OVW Diva. WWE had plans last month to call Laree up by mid March for
the match, and last this site heard on the subject, the plan was still going forward. Alexis Laree has been in OVW since mid-2003 and has appeared on
many Dark, Velocity, & Heat matches in WWE.
- Finally, the only two matches so far that are confirmed are for the WWE & World Title. Triple H will defend his title against Batista, while John
Cena will challenge John Bradshaw Layfield for the WWE title. It is not yet known if Cena will drop his US title before Wrestlemania or if the match
will be a "title for title" match-up.
Wrestlemania is little more than a month away and with the way WWE operates, half of these matches could be re-packaged or scrapped by then. Most of
the matches listed here are in-fact rumors and should be taken as such, and we will have more on Wrestlemania news as it comes.
Credit: PWInsider, Pro Wrestling Torch, Wrestling Observer, & 1Wrestling