It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why have we not gone back to MOON since we landed on it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
i would of thought we could of learnt alot from going to moon, and doing experiments with rovers an little robot probes for other planetary exploration, also wouldnt it be cool if they left some sort of robot web cam on moon?

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blobby
i would of thought we could of learnt alot from going to moon, and doing experiments with rovers an little robot probes for other planetary exploration, also wouldnt it be cool if they left some sort of robot web cam on moon?

I dont think there is too much more to learn from it. It is quite expensive and very risky. We went to the moon before due to pressure from a rival nation. We dont have that pressure now.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Because it's expensive and there's nothing there of immediate value. Getting anything out of the moon will require much more than a few token visits.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Go back for what? The trip was a political one as well the old Because its there reason.

Unless there were minerals there that was worth huge sums per ounce, it would not be practical to go back.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I agree with what has been said. What we should be working on howevers is, the ability to get to Mars.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Because theres aliens on the dark side of the moooonnnn.....

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I think there is an alien moon base (if not the entire moon being a base), but the reasons for not going back are not because we were warned off, but because its a pain in the ass to keep publicly going back to the moon and edit UFOs out of video and pictures. NASA going to the moon on a regular basis would only make it easier for a massive info leak to happen which the U.S. government does not want. I'm sure there are more private expeditions that happen on a regular basis.

[Edited on 30-11-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
to be honest i would've thought that it would be well worth continuing the moon projects, as at the very least it would help us with exploring other planets in terms of experience and developing new technologies.

we havent learned everything about the earth yet, there must be plenty more knowledge to be gained by visiting the moon

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   
we supposedly explored what, one tiny section of the moon? how do we know whats on the rest of the rock, like perhaps the dark side? we should have sent a remote control mini rover up with them they could have sent it anywhere. But we didnt we went to some desert took some pictures for the world and who would know the difference?

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Uh, there's nothing of value on the moon? Are you kidding?

There's Helium-3 (I think that's the right number) on the moon. That would be well worth the investment. I would provide a link, but I don't really care enough to.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Uh, there's nothing of value on the moon? Are you kidding?

There's Helium-3 (I think that's the right number) on the moon. That would be well worth the investment. I would provide a link, but I don't really care enough to.
Flinx is right regarding Helium-3 being an amazing resource that the moon has. Apparently little to no radiactive component to it, stable, and powerful enough to give the entire world energy for thousands of years. At least thats what I've read on it.

posted on Nov, 30 2003 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by blobby

I think it's because experimenting on the moon might drastically alter gravitational pull on the earth.

It could also be, too, that governments have information of Alien visitation to the moon regularly. Installing a public camera on the moon will probably create reactions on earth because of all the ufo/alien activity up there--something the governments/military would no want happening.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 01:18 AM
link   
You are assuming they really did go to the MOON, there are alot of conspiricy theorys about the whole subject.
The Soviets claim that it would be impossible due to the VanAllen belt (an area between the earth and the moon) that is so highly radoactive that Neil Armstrongs Ball's would have fallen off, after the ONE STEP FOR MAN speech, I myself have not done alot of research on this subject of fatal radioactivity in this area, but experts claim the apollo capsules would not have had the sheilding necessary to sustaian the men on board on the way there nevermind the trip back ,and for them to still be alive today. nobody to my satisfaction has explained this.
Park

[Edited on 1-12-2003 by parker]

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
That's alright. I'll provide the link for you, and the reason I saidwhat I said. People aren't through making money off of oil yet for the fuel to be replaced.

"Although helium 3 would be very exciting," says Bryan Palaszewski, leader of advanced fuels at NASA Glenn Research Center at Lewis Field, "first we have to go back to the moon and be capable of doing significant operations there."

Economically unfeasible

Indeed for now, the economics of extracting and transporting helium 3 from the moon are also problematic. Even if scientists solved the physics of helium 3 fusion, "it would be economically unfeasible," asserted Jim Benson, chairman of SpaceDev in Poway, California, which strives to be one of the first commercial space-exploration companies. "Unless I'm mistaken, you'd have to strip-mine large surfaces of the moon."

www.space.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 02:29 AM
link   

A certain professor, who wished to remain anonymous, was engaged in a discussion with Neil Armstrong during a NASA symposium.

Professor: What REALLY happened out there with Apollo 11?

Armstrong: It was incredible, of course we had always known there was a possibility, the fact is, we were warned off!(by the Aliens). There was never any question then of a space station or a moon city.

Professor: How do you mean "warned off"?

Armstrong: I can't go into details, except to say that their ships were far superior to ours both in size and technology - Boy, were they big!...and menacing! No, there is no question of a space station.

Professor: But NASA had other missions after Apollo 11?

Armstrong: Naturally - NASA was committed at that time, and couldn't risk panic on Earth. But it really was a quick scoop and back again.

Armstrong confirmed that the story was true but refused to go into further detail, beyond admitting that the CIA was behind the cover-up.

You can find more here http://j_kidd.tripod.com/b/127.html

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   
There could be some things we could do to practice for things like going to mars mabey we could find a way to stay on the moon for lengths of time like the spacestation months mabey even years

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   
We did go back. A couple of times. I think that national interest fell off.
I say screw the moon anyways. We should focus on the problems on Earth before we worry about the moon.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Who says we ever went to the Moon in the first place!
India is planing a moon mission.
Dont ask me why, A bunch of *snip* up in space

Deep

[edit on 12/27/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Yeah, it is basically a waste of money. The moon is a ball of rock, nothing more. Don't think there are "alien" bases up there. If anything, they are government controlled bases.

-wD

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 02:19 AM
link   

It is quite expensive and very risky

Expensive? Nah they can get a logitech webcam at wal-mart relatively cheap.

Although since this is nasa, a $40 webcam would cost them $4,000

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join