It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAH-66 Commanche.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Nice pics and even some cools videos.

www.rah66comanche.com...

posted on Nov, 14 2002 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Yea i like these, i prefer them to apache 64D's

posted on Nov, 14 2002 @ 02:48 PM
link   
KOoOOl...

OrionSirius

posted on Nov, 14 2002 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Depends on the mission, AH 64's have a different role then what the RAH-66.

As far as looks, I love the Apache. It's a beautiful thing to me.

They're having trouble with the -66. As more and more requirements are being called for, DoD is pushing its capabilities to the limits.

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 04:32 AM
link   
It's a handsome piece of machinery (the Russian Hokum is rather splendid too); but it's had rather more success with the model-makers and gamesters than in real life, as Thomas points out.
Since the first prtotype in 1995, there have been numerous hints at problems with effects of vibration on the structure, and there is no doubt that the spec. has increased massively -as has the requiremnts for a support system. If GWB ever means to deliver on tax cuts, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Commanche in the gun-sights and maybe the F-22 not far behind.
Sometimes I think the military helicopter has gone too far - so much money on what will probably always be a relatively easy target.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Seeing as no one has really mentioned the Comanche for some time, and seeing as the official website recently underwent a major revamp, I wanted to bring two of the previous "questionables" into the light again.

Mission Applications:

During the first few years after the public unveiling of this helicopter, there was little more information available than to suggest three things apart from stealth:

1. Firepower
2. Advanced technological/computer integration
3. Reconnaissance

It would appear they are finally bringing mission possibilities to us with some albeit digital images (but nice artwork nonetheless).

Scout

Armed Reconnaissance

Attack

Special Operations

Affordability

The RAH-66 consumes only 4.4 percent of the U.S. Army's research, development, and acquisition (RDA) budget during the development phase (1995-2003)

More importantly, the 20-year life-cycle costs of a Comanche force is within 30 percent less than an upraged current fleet while providing 5.4 times the effectiveness.

RAH-66 provides a reduction in operating and support costs, a saving of $20 billion over 20 years.

A Comanche force would represent a fleet cost savings of $1 million per flight hour.

19 major studies and three COEA's have come to the same conclusion:

RAH-66 is the most cost-effective weapons system for armed recon and attack.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 07:19 AM
link   
You can also read some of the tech specs and public information at ATS's page about the Comanche (www.abovetopsecret.com...).

The new information I provided above was from www.rah66comanche.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I ones heared and saw something about this propably being the last real attack helicopter for the US because they have predicted that when the end of service comes for this copter. anti-grav will follow up the rotor crafts. Can some one confirm this and please some links to this.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
ah-64 longbow is a true piece of weaponry it has so many diffrent cababilities. it all depends on what the mission is but from what i have heard the 66 still has a few bugs

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
RAH-66 is a good, for a chopper.. but it is still a chopper..

Better for it to avoid day light and well defended areas..

And strike from a distance..
(pop up)

And the RAH-66 really is just a scout..

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I always thought the comanche was designed for scouting and not for fighting, because of his stealth device and manoeuvrability.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yes It Was but I was responding to Thomas Crowne as he was comparing the rah 66 and ah 64

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by tealc]

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salem
I always thought the comanche was designed for scouting and not for fighting, because of his stealth device and manoeuvrability.

Well it can only carry two quad hellfire launcher rails.. and some individual missiles (of total 6-8) internaly..

That isnt much of a fire power..

And also if the dual quad launchers are carried.. it loses alot of the stealth..

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So for combat the apache is better

But this choper is revolutionnary, he got every new techs on it. Next chopter will be awsome

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I love the Comanche! Its so poisefull and gracefull.

I think I just made a word up there.

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
I love the Comanche! Its so poisefull and gracefull.

I think I just made a word up there.

Yeah,

Care to share us what 'poisefull' means?

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salem

Actually it was design for both. The Comanche evolved from the Army's LHX-SCAT (light helicopter experimental-scout/attack) It's not for heavy combat but it is for fighting.

Tim

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 12:05 AM
link   
From how it looks its for speed and scouting.
If you want a combat helicopter take a Mi-28H.

top topics

join