It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant squid babies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I've heard about some scientists finding the larval forms of possible giant squids. Has anyone else heard about this, and if so, where could I find info on their research?

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 03:37 PM
link   

The giant squid (Architeuthis), the world�s largest invertebrate, has never been seen alive � until now. A new Discovery Channel special joins an international expedition team in the waters off New Zealand as they succeed in capturing living juvenile specimens for the first time. The juveniles were found in the larval stage, ranging in size from 9 to 13 millimetres.

www.niwa.cri.nz...

Some squid naturally lose the tentacles in post-larval stages, so that the adult possesses 8 arms only; some squid can have more than 2 fins.

www.tonmo.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Kick ass man. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 03:59 PM
link   
amazing creatures those giant squid

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
yeah it's going to be great watching them in development, nad in captivity

See how big they can get

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Damn that was a good as link. It seemed really serious for a while... The Octopus News Magazine Online... TONMO, of which I am unfamiliar teaches us that Architeuthis is not actually the largest squid out there even though it is commonly referred to as the giant squid.

Instead, they actually say the biggest were a species I actually share a last name with, no kidding. I tried to remain annonymous on this website, but my humility could not prevent me from sharing this public service announcement with all the ladies on the board:

Mesonychoteuthis lacks a hectocotylus � a specially modified arm used to transfer spermatophores to the female. As a rule, species that lack a hectocotylus have a relatively large penis, and presumably they use this organ directly to implant spermatophores hydraulically into the female. As no mature Mesonychoteuthis male or female is known, we cannot begin to guess how the monster does its business.

That's right, in reality my last name is Mesonychoteuthis... What? I'm Greek. I wish to remain annonymous so the scientists can't come study my member. Please Do not inform your local university of my existence.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 05:22 PM
link   
LMAO

Not laughing at you, of course.

top topics

join