It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: Keith Jackson Retires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
After 39 years doing play-by-play, legendary college football announcer Keith Jackson is retiring, claiming that he "does not want to die in a parking lot". Jackson actually did announcing in several other sports, but it is college football he will always be remembered for. It's the accent, delivery, and phrases of his that we will miss: his trademark "Whoa, Nellie!" and the Chris Berman-adopted "FUMBLE!" will always be remembered. It is incredibly fitting that his final broadcast was the 2006 Rose Bowl, a game that deserved the best.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The man who called the second most expensive play of my sports gambling life: Dan Marino's TD pass to his tight end, on fourth down from about 30 yards out, with about 30 seconds left, to lift Pitt over Georgia in the 1982 Sugar Bowl.

It's ok, Keith. You're forgiven. You were perhaps the greatest college FB announcer I ever heard. Certainly better than the ones who immediately come to mind. Thanks for all the years of "down home" professionalism.

BHN

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
He's just been announcing West Coast games th elast few seasons, isn't that correct?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
You may be right. He had tried to retire after the 1998 season, but ABC talked him into returning. Perhaps they offered him a special arrangement.

BHN, what play cost you the most money?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Do you know what a "middle" is?

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You mean sandwiching, right? Where you bet on both teams when the spread is at two different values, and then the actual margin falls between those bets, resulting in your winning both bets. Did you have a good sandwich deal going that went bad with one play?

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Yes. It was a KC-Denver game, and KC was down by three with seconds remaining. If KC WINS by 3, my friend and I win $2,000 apiece. That was a LOT for either of us to win on bets, but we'd each put up $1,000 on each side, because we got the dream middle: 2.5 and 3.5 in an NFL game. As you might suppose, huge numbers of NFL games are decided by 3 points.

All it took was a 29-yard FG to get it into OT, and as you know, almost all NFL OT games get decided by a FG. KC had Nick Lowery, who at that time was the most accurate kicker in NFL history. They also had a good offense, so I loved our chances if it got to OT.

It didn't.

Fricking Nick Lowery shanked a 29-yard field goal attempt. That wouldn't happen again in 50 tries, but it happened that day, at that moment. My late friend, who shared my physique and my attitude toward fighting, went on full-fledged tilt. And mind you, he was about 50 at the time, whereas I was about 35 or 36.

He punched three holes in his living room wall. He also physically destroyed both of the TV's remote controls. His wife was NOT amused. Neither were we.

I have never been so angry at a football player.

BHN

new topics

top topics

join