It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: Indiana University Basketball

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I don't think we'll be in complete agreement, but I would say that an underage player drinking should be sanctioned by the coach. Just for clarity, I also believe that pot is a more serious offense, and should be dealt with accordingly, certainly for a repeat offender. Legalize it and my answer changes. I think "arrest" is irrelevant in this situation. What you owe to the State and what you owe to me as Coach can be two separate things.

Any underage player caught with alcohol, or ANY player caught using pot should not be playing in a game 11 days later. Period.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I didn't realize this guy was a repeat offender. If he loves his pot that much, then he must not love his pulmonary fitness much, nor his duty to be in the best shape possible for his team.

I continued to use pot after I quit my 4-5 pack a day cigarette habit in late 1979. I had always thought the drug TOTALLY benign until then, but as I rode my bike 30 or 40 miles per day, to keep from gaining massive weight from the massive food I was eating, I made a discovery:

On most rides, I felt great after a mile or two. But on days after nights when I'd gotten stoned, my lungs hurt like hell for the first 5 or 10 miles, and I never really enjoyed the ride the way a guy in terrific shape does, because my lungs kept hurting. They'd be good as new (or, feel that way) the day after that, but obviously a hoops player cannot be doing that to his lungs. And this is why I've been so mystified by the NBA players' insistence on their right to smoke pot in the regular season. Off season? Sure. But not in season.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yeah the NBA players' "right to smoke pot" or beat their girlfriends, or whatever. What a lovely bunch. [Again, not equating, but people's view of "rights" always amuses me].

Of course, most things in moderation are generally not harmful. There's a lethal dose for anything. Some people can be moderate, some can't.

One piece of wisdom my dad shared in my youth, "Son you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, as long as you're prepared to pay the consequences."

I think you've hit it squarely. I don't much care if pot or alcohol is legal or not. As a player on a team, you have a duty to be as prepared as you can be. Smoking ANYTHING or drinking any alcohol is not going to help your performance.

I'm not sure how we got this far afield, but I'll reiterate, Sampson needs to brook no nonsense when it comes to team behavior. That, I assure you, will not be tolerated no matter how much they win.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this incident for over a week, now and have contemplated long and hard about whether or not to share it. Now you know what I decided...

I was at a meeting in the northern part of the state last week. Before the meeting started, there was just me and one other guy in the conference room and the small talk gravitated to the new coaching hire. We agreed that Knight's leaving was a sad day, indeed, and he had a very personal reason for thinking so.

This is the story as it was related to me-

This gentleman had three daughters that had cancer. One of them eventually passed away. When she was in the hospital, one of the nurses had a son that was an "assistant manager" on the IU basketball team. He had some "issues" and Knight took him under his wing and was providing some help and guidance. Knight found out from the assistant about the girl in the hospital. Knight called the family, flew them down to Bloomington and had a car meet them to come watch a practice.

My contact told me that Knight was every bit as intimidating in the practice as you would imagine. He told me he was scared to even approach Knight to thank him after the practice for fear of the reaction. But, he said Knight came over to them and it was like a switch going off. He was as compassionate, kind, and caring a person as you could ever hope to meet. Knight talked to them for well over an hour about their daughters and how things were going. He offered to do anything for them he could and asked if they needed any money. As he told me this story, the tears were welling up in his eyes. I was a little choked up, myself. Knight flew them down for several games that year and always took the time to personally find out how they were doing and to see if there was anything else he could do for them.

Anyone who travels around Indiana and talks to people will eventually encounter any number of stories like this. This just happens to be the latest one I've heard. I, personally, have heard dozens like this. And Knight never wanted anything like this made public throught the media. Naturally, the people who were recipients of his good will have always honored that request.

So this, to a great extent, is why there still is, and will always be, a large contingent of people in this state who will remain loyal to Knight and what he stands for. We are more than willing to overlook the childish media outbursts because we know that there is much more to the man than just his basketball coaching legacy.

Kelvin Sampson cannot possibly have a realistic idea about the shoes he's going to try to fill. And I'm not referring to Mike Davis. I sure don't think Rick Greenspan [the AD] has a clue.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Well, those are the stories, of course, which one never hears about Knight. Wow. It's like Babe Ruth's well-known penchant for visiting cancer-stricken boys in hospitals, except that got all sorts of media play, even in the twenties.

You are giving me a whole new perspective on the guy. AND, did you see how far Davis fell? From head coach at Indiana to head coach at, what was it? UAB? Now, THAT is a long, hard fall.

BHN

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I dunno, the UAB job's a pretty good gig. Gene Bartow built the program up after stints at Illinois and UCLA [52-9]. He was at UAB for 18 years and the arena's named after him. They've got a pretty good program. Mike's from Alabama and I think he'll do well there.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Oops. 'scuse me.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well, this took a long time-
>LINK< Fire Sampson

It's no secret I'm not enamored with this choice, but this is just stupid.

Here's the site header-
"Welcome to FireCoachSampson.com! The best online site for opinions and discussion on why Kelvin Sampson will have trouble succeeding as Head Coach of the Indiana Universities Mens Basketball Coach."

Huh?

I don't think the site author had to miss any Mensa meetings to create this mess.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

I don't think the site author had to miss any Mensa meetings to create this mess.

LMAO< ROTF!!!

It's great that there is so much support of th enew caretaker of the proud tradition that is Indiana Basketball. WTF are these people thinking?

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
They're thinking, "Wher'm I gunna get supplies for the meth lab?" Then they drag the sofa into the front yard and set it on fire.

IU always has, and always will have, a large fan base that not only didn't attend the university, but probably couldn't spell "university" if you spotted them the first 8 letters. Hell, some of them have trouble spelling "IU".

Bless 'em though. Usually I'm glad to see all the support we can get. But sometimes I want to say, "Hey, there's a school in West Lafayette. It's called Purdue. How 'bout cheering for them for awhile?"

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Bless 'em though. Usually I'm glad to see all the support we can get. But sometimes I want to say, "Hey, there's a school in West Lafayette. It's called Purdue. How 'bout cheering for them for awhile?"

...That's what we've got Pitt for...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join