It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: Alabama vs. LSU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This week's big game, who's gonna win? I have a hunch that the Tigers will prevail...

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
16-13 overtime. What a game. Good job LSU.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Well, I was sort of right. I said 3 points was too many for Alabama to be getting at home in this game. And indeed, LSU didn't cover the spread--sort of. Ditto for Bama--sort of. But having watched the highlights on ESPN, it looks to me like Bama failed abysmally to take advantage of first-half chances, then was real lucky to not lose bigger after halftime.

But I am really peeved about my other pick, Cal plus 19 against USC. Cal ran 31 times and averaged 5.4 yards per carry. USC ran 47 times and averaged 4.0 yards per carry. Clear, and important, advantage to Cal. Meanwhile, Cal passed 23 times and averaged a lousy 5.5 yards per attempt; USC passed 32 times and averaged a fair 7.2 yards per attempt (figures include sacks). Clear, and important, edge to USC. BOTH TEAMS averaged 5.5 yards per play. Dead even on the most important team offensive stat.

But Cal didn't even cover a 19-point spread, let alone the kickoff spread of 17, much less become the third or fourth team to threaten the Trojans' endless winning streak, and instead almost lost 35-3.

Why? The game's most crucial stat:

TURNOVERS:

Southern Cal: One
UC Berkeley: Six

That kind of b.s. is why I quit betting on sports. Now, I was playing Duplicate Bridge and did not get home until 5 p.m. Pacific Time, so I didn't see the game. But it's obvious from those stats that Cal outran USC, because I doubt Cal was running constantly against a prevent defense while down 28-3 and 35-3. All their rushers except Forsett ran for good averages, so it's not like one huge run bloated their averages, as PASSES during garbage time often do for a losing team in a one-sided game.

Yup, this kind of game makes me glad I am in sports-gambling retirement--until at least the bowls and NFL playoffs. Getting 17 points and losing because of a 6-1 turnover ratio would have driven me freakin' nuts. Especially when my other big play, Bama, dominated the first half on its home field, carried only a 10-0 lead into the locker room, then got outplayed badly enough in the second half (from what the "play-by-play" on the Net shows) that they were lucky to lose only by 3 points, pushing the spread.

B.H.N.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well, congrats to the tide, I didnt' get to see much of any games yesterday, I went out to the woods, and got drunk with a bunch of rednecks. With guns.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
I went out to the woods, and got drunk with a bunch of rednecks. With guns.

Funny i didn't see you there. but then again i wasn't seeing much of anything. apparently we do similar things Gibbsy, we had a massive rifle sighting in party on saturday, along with our pistols and shotguns, and there was a little C-4 involved too.

On to bigger things though, it's rivalry week and i'm looking forward to Bama vs. Auburn. in my opinion the best rivalry in college football, followed closely by Ohio State/Michigan.(i don't know if they play this weekend though).

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
Funny i didn't see you there. but then again i wasn't seeing much of anything. apparently we do similar things Gibbsy, we had a massive rifle sighting in party on saturday, along with our pistols and shotguns, and there was a little C-4 involved too.

On to bigger things though, it's rivalry week and i'm looking forward to Bama vs. Auburn. in my opinion the best rivalry in college football, followed closely by Ohio State/Michigan.(i don't know if they play this weekend though).

I didn't shoot, but it was hilarious watchign 8 guys shoot at one clay pigeon, after several beers were downed by each...

Yeah, Ohio State/Michigan is this weekend too. I don't know about the time, but I'm rooting for the Wolverines, then as long as Penn State beat Michigan State, they have sole possesion of the Big !) championship.

top topics

join