It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: 2005 BCS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, the most recent BCS standings are officially out now, here is how the top 10 teams stand -

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Alabama
4. Miami (FL)
5. Penn State
6. Virginia Tech
7. LSU
8. Ohio State
9. Georgia
10. Oregon

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
CBS Sportsline has these current Bowl predictions -

Rose - USC vs. Texas
Orange - Miami vs. Penn State
Sugar - West Virginia vs. Alabama
Fiesta - Oregon vs. Notre Dame

CBS Sportsline

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
BCS standings as of today -

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Miami (FL)
4. Penn State
5. LSU
6. Virginia Tech
7. Ohio State
8. Alabama
9. Notre Dame
10. Oregon

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
And again, CBS Sportsline's current Bowl predictions -

Rose - USC vs. Texas
Orange - Miami vs. Penn State
Sugar - West Virginia vs. LSU
Fiesta - Oregon vs. Notre Dame

CBS Sportsline

Is it really fair that Miami gets a home Bowl game???

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Miami friggin' choked tonight. Took a page right out of the Dolphins playbook.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
will giving up 42 points to Fresno state knock USC out of #1?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I do not think the 42 points per se should hurt them. Here is what I think should hurt them, and quite a bit:

They trailed Fresno State, a ranked but far inferior team, 21-13 at halftime. Presumably they got their derrieres chewed out REAL good in the locker room. They then played accordingly in the 3rd quarter, outscoring Fresno State 28-7 to go ahead 41-28.

At that point, given USC's presumed greatness, incomparability, enormity of talent, etc., the game should have been over and Fresno State should have gotten buried in the 4th. Instead, Fresno State scored a TD 5:01 into the 4th, then took advantage of a USC turnover and scored another TD on a one play, 18-yard "drive" to go ahead 42-41. Not until the clock hit 6:22 did USC go ahead again, and not until the clock hit 3:06 did USC get ahead by 8 points. Even then, they had to withstand a Fresno drive which reached their 25 yard line.

Please understand one other thing: USC was not "looking ahead to UCLA." They don't play the Bruins for another TWO weeks. Plus, UCLA's ranking (#12) is not much higher than Fresno's (#16).

If USC had played that game against Texas or Notre Dame, fine and well, but Fresno State just isn't in that league. How, after USC took the wind out of their sails and got them down, could USC possibly allow that fourth quarter, 14-point comeback?

I am a lifelong Northern Californian, and thus hating Southern Californian sports teams (esp. the Dodgers) is supposed to be de rigeur for me, but I think I'm being fair about this. USC has done the same sort of thing, only less spectacularly, against lesser teams than Fresno State this year. And despite their ranking, Fresno State is light years from being a juggernaut.

Color me unimpressed with USC. I realize all they have to do is beat a very vulnerable UCLA team to play for another national title, but I'm not sure they're one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country. And I'm sure as hell not certain they actually beat Notre Dame.

B.H.N.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The current rankings are -

1. USC
2. Texas
3. Penn State
4. LSU
5. Virginia Tech
6. Ohio State
7. Oregon
8. Notre Dame
9. Miami (FL)
10. Auburn

Go USC, lose this weekend, you can do it!

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I don't forsee USC losing a game this year, and even if they did they'd just go to number 2 and still get the national championship bid and beat texas. USC hasn't lost a game in 33 bouts, and (even though i wish they weren't) are number one. it will be a couple years before we see this kind of dominance in NCAA football again. so what's everyone's predictions for the bowl games? i have USC #1, Texas #2, and LSU #3. those are my top 3, after a little more research i'll have my top 10, but right now i need to hit the sack.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I strongly disagree. The BCS has been altered so that the human polls are the big deal. And everyone knows USC has repeatedly dodged bullets against far lesser teams this year, and has "won" a game which, by most accounts, they actually lost to Notre Dame.

Now, a loss to this year's Notre Dame is no great shame, but these other teams that have pushed USC hard are another story. I watched the fourth quarter of the Fresno State game, and I can only say it was absurd. USC was down at the half, undoubtedly got reamed in the locker room, came out breathing fire, scored FOUR TD's in the 3rd quarter to open it up... and STILL gave up two TD's to blow the lead. They didn't regain it until about six minutes were left, and didn't put it away until the final seconds, as Fresno State had a 1st and 10 at USC's 25. Texas would have blown Fresno to kingdom come, and I believe Penn State would have done the same.

Other moderately impressive teams have likewise pressed USC. And in two weeks, having had almost 3 weeks to prepare and study the film of USC's pitiful defensive performance against Fresno State, a potent UCLA offense will try to outscore USC. Bet "over."

If UCLA does it, I believe the general reaction among voters will be that USC finally flirted with death once too often, isn't really that great, and does not deserve to play for the big one. I only hope the winner of the SEC Title Game doesn't leapfrog Penn State, because, although Penn obviously would be big underdogs against Texas, I want Jo Pa to have his shot at winning the greatest Cinderella--no, more like miracle/Phoenix--championship in college football history (at least, within my limited historical knowledge).

I'm an honest person and my word is gold. Anyone here want to put up $200 or less that IF the Trojans lose the UCLA, and IF Texas doesn't lose their title game, USC won't play for the big one? I vote that they won't, assuming those circumstances. And, given all the self-inflicted "exciting" victories they've had--especially this last one--I think a loss to UCLA should drop them to #4 or #5 at best.

Are we allowed to make factually conditional wagers here? (If not, please edit my post as appropriate.)

B.H.N.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
BCS SUCKS

[Edited on 05/27/05 by chaingangsoldier247]

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Regardless of how much the BCS sucks, the standings remain unchanged from a week ago. I'm still rooting for UCLA.

BHN, I cannot make that wager with you, you know where my heart lies.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
And UCLA may or may not do it, but anyone who saw the Fresno State game knows this much: It COULD happen.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Go Tigers no. 3 here we come

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
chaingang, you think that ther will be an upset in the top 3 this weekend? UCLA?

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Gibbs,

I've repeatedly admitted my lack of deep football knowledge, and I'll do it again now. I can remember tons of games I've seen, and who won what, but I do not have a deep understanding of the game's fundamentals and cannot watch a team and recognize its vulnerabilities the way an expert can.

BUT....

I think the USC-UCLA game is your best shot. I don't think Texas was ready for the kind of heart A&M brought with them, and for that reason a team with a garbage defense and a QB who couldn't pass--but had a heart like Secretariat and ran & hit like a LB--pushed them hard. I think that was a fluke caused by Texas's not being fully ready to play, which in turn was caused by Texas's not realizing the fire and brimstone A&M was bringing with them.

I expect Coach Brown has had a few words with his team since that game. Don't you? And don't you think Colorado will be facing a somewhat different quality of Texas play? They could still lose, for sure, and you caught a big break when Iowa State blew their big chance and lost. But I don't like your chances in that game.

As to USC, however....

They've been pushed quite a bit and are lucky to be undefeated. No one team has done to them what Cal did last year (or was it the year before?), when USC absolutely deserved to lose and admitted they were lucky and unworthy to win. But USC has been pushed hard several times, and anyone who saw the Fresno game can't be too impressed with the mighty Trojans.

Meanwhile, the Bruins have only one loss and have scored tons upon tons of points. Yeah, USC will score loads of points unless they make numerous turnovers. UCLA has almost lost several games, gives up points by the bucketload, has a laughable defense, etc. But they have a helluva potent offense and have risen from the dead in the fourth quarter repeatedly, coming from as far down as 21 points well into the 4th quarter. And don't you just KNOW that UCLA has spent the last 3 weeks studying the Trojans' bad games, and the last 2 weeks poring over tapes of the Fresno game?

I know USC's defense can have great games, and their running game will probably be the big difference, and could keep UCLA's offense off the field for long stints. But if this turns into a passing-game shootout a la the old Chargers teams (see my earlier post), 50 points may not be enough to win and it may be a coin flip who prevails.

As I think back, it seems like a major upset occurs on this Saturday every year, doesn't it? I recall that Kansas State was the team getting "screwed" by the system a few years ago, being undefeated but #3. Then UCLA, one of the top 2 undefeateds, lost their game to Miami, Fla, in a colossal shootout--a game tainted by a terrible referee call near the end. And Kansas State's players, upon hearing the UCLA score, acted like they'd just won the Super Bowl, thereby royally p.o.'ing their opponent in the Big 12 Title Game, which I believe was A&M. Kansas State proceeded to lose, too.

If you think back, I believe you'll recall a bunch of upsets on this Saturday over the years. As I said, if anyone wants to give me 5-2 odds, I'll bet that one of the big two games this Saturday ends in an upset--without specifying which one.

And Gibbs, if all other lines of reasoning lose their appeal, just remember the darkest hours is just before dawn.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Well I am the man that says that Colts can go 16-0 so I can say that LSU can get no. 3 in BCS standings. Penn state sucks no offense to any real fans

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Dear EVERYONE,

Has anyone heard a computer expert talk about the possible effects of tomorrow's games? I am sitting here looking at a printout of the current BCS rankings, and this is what I see:

(1) #1 and #2, USC and Texas, are far ahead of all other teams, at .986 and .974, respectively (I'm rounding off the 3rd digits);

(2) The #3 team, Penn State, which has finished its regular season, is far below those two teams, but far ahead of the rest, with a ranking of .899.

(3) The #4 and #5 teams, LSU and Virginia Tech, are pretty close to each other, with rankings of .849 and .834.

(4) The next two teams, #6 and #7, are pretty much by themselves. Ohio State, #6, is at .797; Oregon, #7, is at .745. And #8, Notre Dame, is pretty much by itself at .694. They are all idle, as is the #9 team, Miami of Florida, now at .661.

So....

Just how much can happen this week, according to the experts? Will a loss throw one of the top 2 out of the big game, as I strongly believe it should? Can LSU, or even Va Tech, close all that distance and overtake Penn State? If Florida State upsets Va Tech, will idle Oregon move up to #6 or better? Will #8 Notre Dame, which now sits far back, at .694, move up to at least #7?

Whose BCS berth hopes can be harmed or helped tomorrow? Notre Dame's? Oregon's? Obviously Va Tech's. Obviously LSU's can be hurt; can they be helped? Isn't Notre Dame pretty much a cinch to get a BCS berth, for emotional and commercial reasons?

OK, enough of my rambling....

Have any of y'all heard a detailed account, from a computer savvy person, about just how much can happen tomorrow, depending on the outcomes of UCLA-USC, Colorado-Texas, LSU-Georgia and Florida State-Va Tech? If so, I'd love to be enlightened, and I'm sure a lot of the rest of us would, too.

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well, this is what happens when one lives in a remote place and works out of one's home, writing appeals for condemned prisoners. One loses track of time.... Completely.

Obviously I don't mean "tomorrow's" games. Strike that idiocy and please make it "Saturday's games."

B.H.N.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I stick to my guns and I'll say it again the Tigers will get that no. 3 spot because of one man: Les Miles. Quite frankly he is the "second best" coach next to Saban but if you talk to certain fans they hate his guts. In fact there is a website to get rid of him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join