It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: Can Bucknell do it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
64-63!!!

They pull it off!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
:party-smiley-018:
:cool2::smug::approve::bounce::bounce::party-smiley-018::sport-smiley-019:
:bounce:
:cool2:

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Unbelievable.

That's why they play the games.

Congrats to Bucknell, first Patriot League NCAA victory ever!

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Did you notice how one of the announcers was mis-pronouncing Bison the whole game?

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
No, I missed that, what was he calling them?

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
he pronounced Bison similar to by-soon instead of by-sun. It was rather annoying... He must be from England

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
By Dennis Dodd
SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Kansas thought it could flip a switch come tournament time. All the great ones do when injuries, meaningless conference tournaments and tedious regular seasons get in the way of what really counts.

Something flipped all right -- maybe James Naismith in his grave.

Let's be clear about one of the most ignominious defeats in Kansas history: Not only did KU lose a first-round NCAA Tournament game for the first time since 1978, it was upset by a Patriot League team with five scholarship players.

Bucknell, a name some Kansas players couldn't even pronounce properly earlier in the week, beat the mighty Jayhawks 64-63 late Friday in the biggest upset of this tournament. The first victory by a No. 14 over a No. 3 seed in six years was more than an upset.

It chipped away at one of the most glorious legacies in the sport.

Kansas was beaten by a coach, Pat Flannery, who twice left the bench at halftime this season and drove home because of stress and other medical reasons. That before taking a three-game leave of absence for the same reason.

It was beaten by a school that didn't award scholarships until two years ago. And the Patriot, which has the highest graduation rate in Division I, now has its first NCAA Tournament win in 14 tries.

Lacking a pep band, a Bucknell assistant AD approached Northern Iowa's band and "rented" it for the Kansas game. The Panthers band received free T-shirts and $150 to spend on pizza. The Bison fight song was faxed in Friday morning.

cbs.sportsline.com...

I had Kansas going to the Final 8 in my pool but I was rooting for Bucknell last night. This game seemed as lopsided as they come, a true David vs Goliath. You gotta love an underdog!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
From ESPN's article -

When the game ended, Bucknell celebrated wildly at midcourt -- as you'd expect from a program that once had Jim Valvano as its coach.

I didn't know that!

This is the fourth time the NCAAs have held first- and second-round games in Oklahoma City, and every time a bottom seed has won at least one first-round game. This site has already sent a No. 12 and a No. 13 into the second weekend of the tournament, and the Bison would love to add a No. 14 to this locale's unique bit of NCAA lore.

Had I known that beforehand, I might have even picked Bucknell to beat the Badgers...

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

When the game ended, Bucknell celebrated wildly at midcourt -- as you'd expect from a program that once had Jim Valvano as its coach.

Had I known that beforehand, I might have even picked Bucknell to beat the Badgers...

They brought up the fact that Jimmy V coached there a few times during the game, saying he was looking down with a huge smile.

Gibbs, did you hack into our tourney pool website? You might be the only person in the country who picked Bucknell over Kansas, at least the only guy!

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
They brought up the fact that Jimmy V coached there a few times during the game, saying he was looking down with a huge smile.

Gibbs, did you hack into our tourney pool website? You might be the only person in the country who picked Bucknell over Kansas, at least the only guy!

I must have missed that, I hadn't noticed the mispronunciation until late in the game, since I was scoring the office poolduring the game...

There are 2 other guys in the office pool who picked Bucknell, they both have them going on to next weekend, I wasn't quite that brave, but I'm kicking myself now for it...

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
They're at it again Gibbs!!!

They are trailing Wisconsin by 2 with 12 minutes left to play.

The thread is titled "Can Bucknell do it?" meaning, win the Patriot League. Well they won that, they beat a great Kansas team in the NCAA's, and are ten minutes from the Sweet 16 if they can beat the Badgers. I hope they do it, they're the Cinderella story!

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Well they couldn't get past Wisconsin.

They made a great run though, and put their school on the map.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well, the kids made a good run for it, unfortunately I was traveling for the first half of the game, but I did get to catch the second half at the restaurant.

I guess rich brats can play basketball, after all...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Kansas coach Bill Self apologized to Bucknell coach Pat Flannery after some of the Jayhawks didn't shake hands with the Bison following the No. 14 seed's upset victory in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday.

Only a handful of Kansas players stayed around for the traditional handshake last week when the Bison shocked the No. 3 seed Jayhawks 64-63. It was Kansas' first opening-round loss since 1978.

Self said one problem was that Bucknell's players did not all line up to shake hands after Wayne Simien's desperation jumper at the buzzer came up short. Instead, many of them ran onto the floor in celebration.

Appalling. But good of Self to apologize for his own brats.

ESPN

[Edited on 3/23/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i am predicting that bucknell will fall short of their dream this year, next year may be a different story

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join