It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: ACC Tournament

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's been a good game so far, I'd say.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Amazing finish to a good game. Congrats, Dukies!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
That was a good game.

I still have no idea what foul that ref called that put Duke at the line with 4 seconds to go. I've always thought Duke gets a bit of ref bias but thats a whole different story. Good game by both teams, could this get Duke a #1 seed?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
That's what the talking heads are saying, guess we'll find out in a bit...

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Wow... at the very beginning of the year, I don't think anyone would've thought (outside of... the team itself) that this Duke team in particular would be ACC Champions (6th in 7 years). It was a brilliant effort by Jarrett Jack, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm super glad it went the way it did. The defense on both sides was... insanely good. There was... a lot of heart, will, fight. I think that's what it came down to, really... it's why this team is a (Duke) fan favorite. Oh... yes, it took... a little luck... meaning the foul call. But... a lot of games are like that, I think.
About the fouls? yes I agree, the 2nd to last foul (not the last one that put Dave McClure on the foul line, but the one that put JJ there) was a little iffy... But then again, I feel like there were missed calls on both ends just like in every game. I mean... this game was yes, generally well called, but what about that Maryland game where like... the majority of the Duke starters fouled out? and the fact that Shav Randolph is on the ref. training video thing and was... plagued with fouls this season. I think it goes both ways... cause a lot of calls are... made on presumed contact.
Most people (not just me) have said that if Duke wins the tournament, they are more than likely to get a 1... We'll see, I guess... but I think at least on Joe Lunardi's bracket at ESPN.com, Duke is a 1 seed.

[Edited on 3/13/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Do you think they'll get the # 1 seed, wnyc5?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I... try to stay objective (I hope that's visible)... but I am very very very much a Duke fan, not a casual one at all (I also don't like getting attacked for the team I support... it's happened on other boards, unfortunately). However, in this case, I will say yes, I do believe that Duke deserves not only the 1 seed, but the chance to play @ ... is it Charlotte? (just as UNC most likely will). My feelings on this are partially... sentimentality... this season's team was not supposed to be able to contend in the least. But in terms of records and whatnot... Duke and Wake basically have very close win loss records. But Duke had a harder conference schedule (Wake didn't have to play at Chapel Hill), and if I remember correctly, a better RPI/SOS (although I'm not completely sure on that). Additionally, being Tournament Champs (I think) gives a automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, and it wouldnt make sense to give the 1 to Wake when they... didn't win it. I think that Duke will bump Wake by nature of... okay, theyre just not going to give the ACC 3 one seeds. Can you imagine the uproar? Also, Washington, has had a really good season/ really statistics... so... I would say at this point, my 1 seeds would be Illinois, UNC, Duke, and Washington. I of course could be completely wrong on this... and yes, I realized that was a really long and convoluted answer. Condensed... Duke? yes.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wnyc5
I think that Duke will bump Wake by nature of... okay, theyre just not going to give the ACC 3 one seeds. Can you imagine the uproar? Also, Washington, has had a really good season/ really statistics... so... I would say at this point, my 1 seeds would be Illinois, UNC, Duke, and Washington. I of course could be completely wrong on this...

Or you could be completely right, could I borrow your crystal ball?

Good call wnyc5, and I agree with the committee's selections.

There's alot of potentially interesting matchups.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Arn't those the 4 number 1 seeds as of right now?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hehe... yes those are the 1 seeds

I dont have any arguments with the committee selections either... I mean, Duke is a 1 seed and playing in Charlotte. What more can I ask for? (Other than an absurdedly easy bracket, but that's not... possible) However, UNC definitely has the toughest bracket, by my estimation... or everyones. But it's pretty balanced... there are potential pitfalls everywhere. About my 1 picks... I think I was just paying attention in the period right after the Duke game. Unfortunately, I feel like my bracket picks are going to... stink. Just to put a disclaimer on it to begin with. I was going to do research on it... but once i filled out a bracket (for class) I kinda settled. Heh. At least I didn't pick based on how cute the team is.

PS... with the strength of the ACC (tournament and basically conference) I feel like the teams will do really well against... the field (?)... not to underestimate the competition in other conferences... I'm sure its intense... but the ACC this year? it was like... they were like... baby eaters.
Also? I kinda really think they make brackets based on matchups sometimes. I mean... they set it so that if everyone carries their own weight, we see Duke/Kentucky (oh 92), Duke/UNC (holy goodness), UNC/Kansas etc etc. I have to say that if you're like my friend and have tickets to the games at Syracuse... like for the sweet 16 and the elite 8? I'm completely jealous. Those will be insane games if everyone holds up their end.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Impressive picks for the #1 seeds, I hadn't seen Washington coming...

Originally posted by wnyc5
but once i filled out a bracket (for class) I kinda settled. Heh. At least I didn't pick based on how cute the team is.
So, you're not the typical woman. BTW, what class are you taking that you fillout a bracket, Bookie 101?

I have to say that if you're like my friend and have tickets to the games at Syracuse... like for the sweet 16 and the elite 8? I'm completely jealous. Those will be insane games if everyone holds up their end.

That would be awesome. i hadn't even thought about trying to get a ticket, now I might make a road trip that weekend, it's only about 2 hours for me...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Hehe. I'm not sure if it's believable... but I filled out brackets for my Human Rights class. Yup. The professor is a little....... odd. I'd like to add that even if I wanted to fill out a bracket based on how cute the team was... I'm quite certain it'd be off by a great deal. Cuteness is subjective, after all.
I think that I could probably make it to either the Worcester site or the Syracuse site... but... I mean... my interest in the teams is limited. Interesting and great games, yes. But I find it's that much more fun when you have a vested interest (like or dislike) in a team. But even if you can't get tickets at this point, I'm sure theyre having open practices... today? tomorrow? something like that. and goodness... I do so wish I could make it down to Charlotte to catch the Duke open practice... but no. heh.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join