It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: ACC Tournament

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
There has been a lot of hype surrounding the ACC this season, now the tourney is here. Clemson pulled the upset of Maryland, most likely ending thier NCAA hopes. NC State won, and Virginia pulled off an upset of Miami.

So, who's gonna make it to the championship game? With 3 of the top 5 ranked teams in the country in this conference, the eyes of the sports world are focused on Washington, DC for the nest couple of days.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Wake Forest sophomore guard Chris Paul was suspended Monday for one game for throwing a punch at NC State's Julius Hodge that landed below the belt in the first half of Sunday night's game in Raleigh.

source

ESPN

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

North Carolina leading scorer Rashad McCants was cleared Wednesday to return to practice.

McCants has missed the Tar Heels' last four games because of an intestinal disorder.

In a release sent by the school, coach Roy Williams said he wasn't sure how much McCants would be able to play on Friday in the opening round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.

source

ESPN

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
McCants return is HUGE for the Tarheels. :bounce:

Yep, Maryland lost and most likely are NIT bound after the Clemson upset, despite sweeping Duke. UNC takes on Clemson tomorrow night in the second round.

That was a real cheap shot by Chris Paul. He's a great point guard but I lost alot of respect for him after that incident.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Re: Chris Paul. I know I've said it in the other threads... but Chris Paul? kinda... a punk. It's actually a visible pattern... punching Julius Hodge in the groin was not an isolated incident.
Also... goodness... Maryland... losing to Clemson 3 times? I shake my head over it, if only because they swept Duke in the regular season. That team... highly erratic and apparently, only able to like... get up for games against Duke. Weird.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
That is quite strange, losing 3 times to an average at best Clemson team and sweeping Duke. That was Clemson's first ACC tourney victory since 2001, Maryland won this very tournament last year.

The loss was a serious blow to the Terrapins' bid to reach the NCAA Tournament for the 12th straight season. Maryland has lost four straight and five of six, the lone win in that stretch a double-overtime escape against last-place Virginia.

If the Terrapins don't advance, they can only blame themselves. Maryland shot 35 percent, missed 10 free throws and committed 23 turnovers.

www.sportsline.com...@MD

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Thursday's Round 1 results

Clemson 84, Maryland 72

Virginia 66, Miami 65

NC State 70, Florida St 54

Friday's Quarterfinals Schedule

Clemson vs North Carolina

Virginia Tech vs Georgia Tech

Duke vs Virginia

Wake Forest vs NC State

www.sportsline.com...

theacc.collegesports.com...

(c)TheACC.com- The Official Site of the Atlantic Coast Conference

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
So, I'd say Maryland's a lock for the NIT, right?

[Edited on 3/11/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
So, I'd say Maryland's a lock for the NIT, right?

Yeah, I'd say their first round ACC exit to Clemson, their 3rd loss this season to them, has all but eliminated them from the tourney. Then again, they are probably alot better than half the teams that won automatic bids but thats how it goes.

Earlier today, UNC beat Clemson and Georgia Tech beat Virginia Tech.

UNC will play Georgia Tech tomorrow.

Right now, Wake is playing NC State and Duke plays Virginia at 9:30 and the two winners will meet tomrrow.

I didnt even realize until watching the Va Tech-Ga Tech game that this year's ACC tourney is being played in DC. Why? As long as I can remember they have played at the Charlotte Coliseum.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Wake and NC State are tied at 38 at the half.

I'd love to see the Wolfpack pull off the upset. :bounce:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
NC State smoked Wake Forest 81-65 to advance to the next round and will play the winner of tonight's Duke-Virginia game.

:loudhorn: ~ Way to go Wolfpack!!!

7 minutes into the game, Virginia leads Duke 13-8.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
well, there goes my prediction of Wake winning this tournament...

I guess I'm gonna have to go with the favorites now, UNC.

PA, pray that my prediction doesn't have the weight of your avatars

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
PA, pray that my prediction doesn't have the weight of your avatars

Two wrongs always make a right.

Duke beat Virginia 64-56 to advance to the next round.

Saturday's SemiFinal matchups

North Carolina vs Georgia Tech 1:30

Duke vs NC State 3:30

I dont want to count my chickens, but I'd love to see a UNC-Duke rubber match Sunday afternoon.

:party-smiley-018:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Very well could be, but don't count out Tech just yet, I almost forgot how good they are.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
At the moment, the score is 36-28 Tech with 3:10 left in the 1st half

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Sean May had an awful first half gainst the Yellowjackets, but man has he woke up here in the second half.

The score is tied at 55 with 13 and change to go.

Go Heels!

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Congrats to the Yellowjackets who played a great game this afternoon and knocked out Carolina. UNC got outplayed and could have very easily lost to Clemson yesterday, they need to get their game together if they want to have any chance to go deep in the NCAA tournamnet. Their defense has looked very suspect and they cant seem to hit the open shots. McCants missed a couple clutch free throws down the stretch and then missed a 3-pointer that would have tied the game and sent it to overtime.

So much for a UNC-Duke rematch.

Now I'll be rooting for NC State.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Georgia Tech vs Duke

Should be a great game.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Duke leads Georgia Tech 34-28 at the half.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join