It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: North Carolina vs Duke

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Of all the people to miss it, it would have to be Reddick....

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hey all.
I usually try to avoid boards around duke unc games, cause well... duke fans tend to get lambasted (i.e. on the espn board). It was definitely an intense game... it (obviously) didnt end as I wished it could've... but as a Duke fan, I have to say that I'm really really proud of the team this year. Who wouldve thought that facing a deeper, (arguably) more talented team, Duke would have had as good a chance to win as they did. It's just like with the Wake game... they play with a lot of heart and moxie (yes i sound like I'm... 70) but its true. They definitely missed Sean Dockery, just as UNC missed Rashad McCants (I was surprised he didn't play) Definitely props to UNC for a well played game... though heart breaking for me. Oh and... Sean May's effort truly was amazing. It's certainly no wonder Coach K was so complimentary toward him before the game.
About JJ Redick... (and I suppose this couldve gone on the JJ Redick thread but... all the same) While I know that Jackie Manuel/UNC's defense was a big factor in terms of his ineffectiveness in the 2nd half... I also kinda feel like he was thrown off when he twisted his ankle a little bit. That is, though he did contribute (I'm sure he had a couple of assists... and in the very least, acted as an awesome decoy); he mightve been bothered by his ankle... as someone said at dbr, "He is a jump shooter and a small injury can throw you off." I can imagine it wouldve been hard to take screens as he does on a painful ankle. I don't mean to take away from UNC's defense at all, because they definitely clamped down hard...
Regardless, good game... just as the last one was. Close with great efforts and luck on both sides so... yeah.

By the way... if anyone was watching the NCState/Wake game... I heard that Chris Paul punched Julius Hodge in the groin... (the people at dbr feel Chris Paul is a punk... which is a statement I lean toward myself, no offense to any Wake fans... but how is there an incident with someone on almost every team they play?) By the by... now that Ive turned on the game... the NCState crowd is practically booing every time Chris Paul touches the ball... which is often.

[Edited on 3/6/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
*patiently awaits new rankings with UNC at #1*

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sure UNC will be number 1 for now, but come tourney time (march madness) will unc still continue to performe like they have been?

Don't forget that illini are still a very good team, and same with duke, they are many top teams, and you can't forget about the cinderella teams, during the madness

[Edited on 3/7/2005 by hawkeye8424]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
UNC is over-rated, sure there good, but come tourney time there is no way that they are going to walk away the champs! I personally don't think they can do it, there are plenty of better teams out there that are going to walk away with it.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
UNC is over-rated

Over-rated? They're the #1 team in the nation and are 26-3 playing in arguably the best conference in all of college basketball. And they beat a tough Duke team without their best player Rashad McCants. I cant see how they could be considered overrated but you're entitled to your opinion. No doubt that tourney time is a whole different season and there are alot of upsets but dont be surprised to see Roy Williams and his squad cutting the nets down after the tournament.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It's about time my UNC beat Duke. I finally get to see them as #1 in the country.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The AP top 5 are... 1. Illinois, 2. North Carolina, 3. Wake Forest, 4. Kentucky, 5. Duke.

In... a follow up to my comment on Chris Paul punching Julius Hodge in the groin and perhaps being a... for lack of a better word, PUNK. ... Wake Forest has suspended him for a game for his actions... After the commisioner of the ACC said that they were looking at the film of what happened.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well that's just weak.

Anytime the top team loses and the #2 team wins, the top team gets knocked off the top. Especially when they lose to an UNRANKED team and the #2 team beats the #6 team. WTF?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
They cut 'em down in Chapel Hill yesterday celebrating their ACC title.

:bounce:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Well that's just weak.

Anytime the top team loses and the #2 team wins, the top team gets knocked off the top. Especially when they lose to an UNRANKED team and the #2 team beats the #6 team. WTF?

Pa, I truly, truly hate to bring up this memory, but you do remember the 1994 football season, don't you? The polls are absolutely worthless.

At least in basketball, the poll really doesn't count for anything, the tournament take scare of finding the answer of who's best. Penn State never had that opportunity.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Of course I remember the '94 debacle.

This is obviously much less significant than that situation but I thought for sure this would assure them #1 to end the regular season. I also dont think you can quite compare playing in the Big 10 to the ACC but as you say Gibbs, the polls mean diddly. Selection Sunday is this weekend, lets get the tourney rolling and find out who's really #1.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
... I've heard that Illinois and UNC are basically locks for the 1 seed...probably joined by Wake and Kentucky or something like that. Duke would (hopefully) be a 2 seed... 2 or 3 at the very least at this point. Additionally, Duke will probably be put in the same bracket as Illinois (sigh). I've heard some people do... an s curve? Of course, if Duke runs the table in the tournament, they probably should be considered for a 1 seed as well. But apparently tournaments, especially the ACC tourney, have less bearing what with proximity to the selection time and all. Additionally... theres like... no way that the selection committee would make 3 ACC teams 1 seed. Can you imagine the uproar? I mean it would awesome... but... unlikely. Either way... both Duke and Carolina will probably get positioned more than decently in the tourney (except for the whole Illinois thing... of course they may decide to put Duke and Kentucky together in hopes of a rematch of the 92 final). I also kinda wanted to say that I was amused by how Duke moved up in the rankings with a loss. Shows how good the programs are, i think... or really, how well played the game was.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Yeah go figure, Carolina wins and stays put and Duke loses and moves up.

I agree that the #1 seeds should be UNC, Duke, Wake, and Kentucky. It just doesn't get any better than the ACC. I mentioned before that UNC and Duke have never met in the Big Dance, I wonder if they've even ever been seeded in the same region?

So the ACC tourney starts tomorrow night! :party-smiley-018:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
In terms of UNC and Duke being seeded in the same region... I'm not sure if it has happened (it probably has, but I'm not much of a historian), especially as there is are really only 4 regions, and recently the ACC has had more than 4 teams qualify. But I think theres a rule of sorts that says that teams from the same conference cannot meet until a certain round of play. Actually...

From the NCAA Handbook for the Tournament:
Each of the first three teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions.

No more than one team from a conference may be seeded in the same grouping of four (in line Nos. 1-4 and 13-16) in a region. (Note: The only possible exception would occur if a conference has five or more teams seeded in line Nos. 1-4. The other principles herein would apply in the exception case.)

In line Nos. 5-12, two teams from the same conference may be placed in the same group of four, providrd that they would not meet until the regional championship game.

Conference teams shall not meet each other before the regional final unless a ninth team is selected from a conference. Two teams from the same conference within the same region, therefore, shall not be seeded together in either of the following groups: Nos. 1,4,5,8,9,12,13,and 16; or Nos. 2,3,6,7,10,11,14,and 15.

There shall not be more than two teams from a conference in one region unless a nonth team is selected from a conference

Additionally, I think that they tend to set it up so that later in the tournament, we might get some crazy matchups... like Duke/Kentucky (same teams from 92) and whatnot, so if both Duke and UNC were doing well, I would imagine that the committee would not put them too close together so that there would be the possibility of meeting up for a really really really big game.

I know I said this on the JJ Redick thread... but can you imagine of the 1st team All ACC actually played together? I would pay... a lot of money to see that... that would be insane... and they could go around playing other all conference teams and whoever won could claim to have the top conference. Yes, I know I totally faded into dream world... but yeah... Shelden Williams and Sean May together? would be... overpowering... and overwhelmingly dominant.

[Edited on 3/10/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
PA, your list of #1 seeds doesn't include Illinois. Why?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
PA, your list of #1 seeds doesn't include Illinois. Why?

Because they're awful. Nah, just kidding. I saw wnyc5's suggestions and just agreed with them, totally forgetting about the #1 team in the country.

I guesss it should read.....

Illinois, UNC, Wake, and Kentucky.

Somehow I let a Duke fan make me think they were worthy of a #1 seed!

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Somehow I let a Duke fan make me think they were worthy of a #1 seed!

Silly of you!

I'm gonna stick with the big 10 for my faves, Illinois all the way...

:sport-smiley-019:

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hey! I never discounted Illinois
... I just said that if Duke wins the ACC tournament, they probably will be considered for a #1 seed. At the expense of whom? I'm not sure... probably Wake or Kentucky. Especially because they would probably then have 2 wins over both Wake and UNC (which... I totally have faith in this team, but statistically... highly unlikely... also, the tournament ends the same day that the brackets are released so i cant imagine a big impact in that way, theyre probably settled by then). So really, Wake because (as I said) there's ... basically no way the selection committee would allow for 3 ACC teams to take the top spot. And then I added in speculation about both the bracket that Duke might occupy and the seeding (probably a 2 or 3. Potentially in the same bracket as Kentucky so that theres potentially a rematch between Duke and Kentucky). But yeah... if Duke makes it to the final/wins the ACC, they definitely deserve to be looked at for the 1 seed... because of the wins... to add, their losses were not exactly blowouts... they had a chance to win each game... especially the games against wake and unc.

And personally, I do believe that Illinois and UNC are going to be 1 seeds... they're locks, definitely. I actually don't know that much about Kentucky, so I dont know where I stand on their 1 seed. It seems pretty likely that Wake will be a 1 seed... unless maybe they lose bad.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wnyc5
can you imagine of the 1st team All ACC actually played together? I would pay... a lot of money to see that... that would be insane... and they could go around playing other all conference teams and whoever won could claim to have the top conference. Yes, I know I totally faded into dream world... but yeah... Shelden Williams and Sean May together? would be... overpowering... and overwhelmingly dominant.

I think that's a great idea, and I'd definitely go see them play. If you think about it, all professional sports have all-star games, college football has Senior Bowls and Blue-Grey games and East-West shrine games, college hoops might be the only team sport to not have something like that. And I think your idea would be the best way to go about it, have different all-conference teams play each other, like a weekend round-robin or something. I like it! And I'd like the ACC's chances even better!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join