It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: North Carolina vs Duke

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

#2 North Carolina vs. #6 Duke

North Carolina always has plenty of motivation when it squares off against archrival Duke. The second-ranked Tar Heels will have just a little extra this time.

The Tar Heels can clinch their first outright Atlantic Coast Conference title in 12 years when they host No. 6 Duke on Sunday.

North Carolina beat Florida State 91-76 on Thursday, earning at least a share of the regular-season title for the first time since 2001. The Tar Heels followed that season with a dismal 8-20 campaign.

Carolina leads Wake Forest by a game in the ACC standings and will earn the top seed in the conference tournament with a win Sunday. However, if the Tar Heels lose, the Demon Deacons can take the top seed because of their 95-82 win over North Carolina in January.

The Tar Heels played without leading scorer Rashad McCants for the third straight game because of an intestinal disorder. Williams said Friday that he does not expect McCants to play Sunday.

The Tar Heels lead the all-time series 123-95.

www.sportsline.com...@NC

sports.espn.go.com...

This should be great game as usual when these two rivals get together. I dont think there's any question that this is one of the best rivalries in all of sports. The Heels are definitely going to miss their best player McCants, I just hope he can get healthy in time to play in the ACC and/or NCAA tournaments.

With #1 Illinois losing to Ohio State this afternoon, a win by #2 UNC would make them the top team in all the land!!

:party-smiley-018:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Tipoff is in less than an hour!

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Who is the favourites to win?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Who is the favourites to win?

Well, North Carolina is ranked #2 in the nation and Duke is #6 so I'd think UNC would be favored but their best player, Rashad McCants, will miss the game with an intestinal disorder. Another factor in UNC's favor is that the game is in the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill. These games are always super close and full of intensity. This rivalry ranks up there with the Yankees-RedSox.

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Sounds like it is going to be a real good game.. Nothing like a bit of rivalry to get things going..

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I wonder where our JJ Reddick fan club is today?

www.sportztawk.com...

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yeah they havn't been around for a few days. Funny thing is i did a search and most other boards seem to slate him in one way or another..

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well you either hate Duke or love them, so the same goes with their players. I dont like Reddick, I think he's one-dimensional, but he is one heck of a shooter. They'll probably have Raymond Felton guarding him, he's really quick and should be able to prevent JJ from getting too many open looks.

Tipoff in about 5 minutes.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
#1 Illinois lost to unranked Ohio State this afternoon.

#3 Kentucky just lost to unranked Florida.

Carolina wins and they're undoubtedly the #1 team in the land.

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Whats the score so far PA?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Whats the score so far PA?

UNC leads 42-40 with 2 minutes left in the first half.

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Pretty close as you said it would be.. :party-smiley-018:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The Tarheels lead at halftime, 47-41!!

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
UNC still leads 58-54 with just 12 minutes left to play. :bounce:

www.sportsline.com...@NC

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
That is real close and it could still go either way. It would be hard luck to UNC if they lose as they have been leading most of the way...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Duke leads 68-64 with 4:15 left to play.

Sean May is having a huge game for the Heels.

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by ProudAmerican]

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Whoah that doesn't look good for your UNC PA.....

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
74-73 UNC with 17 seconds left to play, Duke getting the ball after the timeout.

May has 26 points and 22 rebounds.

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
How close...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
JJ Redick misses a three-pointer with 5 seconds left and Ewing missed the follow-up.

UNC wins 75-73!!!

They'll be Numero Uno tomorrow when the new rankings come out. They also win the regular season ACC title over Wake Forest.

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by ProudAmerican]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join