It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: John Chaney

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm sure that you all have heard about the incident with John Chaney, the head coach of Temple University's Men's Basketball team.

If you aren't familiar, here's a little snippet to brief you on it -

Chaney's explosive temper caught up with him last week when he ordered hard fouls that led to Saint Joseph's senior forward John Bryant breaking his arm in a fall.
- ESPN

Apparently, Chaney was upset, thinking that the St. Jo's players were getting away with fouls. Not an excuse, just his train of thought in the heat of the moment.

Hindsight is 20/20, though, and Chaney deeply regrets his actions, he suspended himself for one game, and offered to pay for any and all medical bills of Bryant's associated with the incident. The University stepped in, and suspended him for the rest of the regular season. and then, for the Atlantic 10 tournament.

For more information, click here -

ESPN article

I have a ton of respect for Chaney, so I'm probably biased, but he's always been an upstanding, if somewhat volcanic, personality. He does a great job teaching his kids how to be men.

Can you imagine Bob Knight suspending himself for doing something stupid like this? That's the difference here, Chaney wasn't thinking when he sent the guy in to put hard fouls on the other team, but he regrets it.

[Edited on 3/3/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
this is an unfortunate event in chany's career, he has had a long and storied career with much success along the way but this will probably be the end of it...the bad thing is that this is what people will remember him for, not the succesful seasons or the good things that he has done over the years much the same as woody hayes will always be remembered for hitting the player from the opposing team a number of years ago, sad to say it is just the way people are....i expect that he will be forced to step down or be fired over this incident

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I think he can come back for one season, give him a chance to clear his name. After all he has done, he deserves it.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

John Chaney will return to coach Temple in the NIT.

Chaney was suspended for the final five games of the season after ordering rough play from one of his players, who subsequently broke the arm of St. Joseph's senior John Bryant.

Chaney, 73, first suspended himself for one game before the school extended the punishment to three games after the extent of Bryant's injury was discovered. The Hall of Fame coach then banned himself from the Temple sidelines for the Atlantic 10 tournament.

source

ESPN

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I dont think he should be allowed to coach yet. I dont think he should be allowed to coach until the players arm that he is responsible for breaking is able to play. Seems fair to me.

I could care less about his prior resume, what he did was wrong and he should pay the full penalty. John Bryant is a senior and his college career was ended early because of his poor decision. Why should Chaney coach if Bryant cant play?

As a matter of fact, St Joe's lost the Atlantic-10 title game to George Washington for an automatic NCAA tournament bid. Maybe the outcome would have been different had Chaney not pulled this crap and instead of the NIT, maybe the Hawks would have won the auto bid to the NCAA's.

I don think the punishment fits the crime.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Although, his self-imposed punishment will go on for the rest of his life. I truly beleive that coach will regret this until the day he dies, and I'm sure that he has insisted on paying for all of the bills that this boy has incurred, and probably then some. He should know better than to have done what he did, and he knows that.

[Edited on 3/5/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I agree with your entire post Gibbs.

I just dont get how this college senior is watching his last few games of his career from the sideline in street clothes and Chaney is coaching his team in the NIT.

Crazy.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Temple lost tonight in the first round of the NIT to Virginia Tech, 60-50.

I just heard the post-game press conference with Chaney, he totally ripped his players. Not only for their poor play tonight, but all season. It might be a good time for him to walk away.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Temple lost tonight in the first round of the NIT to Virginia Tech, 60-50.

I just heard the post-game press conference with Chaney, he totally ripped his players. Not only for their poor play tonight, but all season. It might be a good time for him to walk away.

Yeah, if he's acting like that, then I have to agree.

A shameful end to a wonderful career.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Saint Joseph's got an emotional lift from John Bryant's return to action and Pat Carroll scored 16 points to lead the Hawks to a 53-44 win over Hofstra in the opening round of the NIT Wednesday night.

Bryant was in the starting lineup three weeks after his arm was broken on a hard foul ordered by Temple coach John Chaney. Bryant received a standing ovation from the home crowd when he was introduced as the starting power forward.

www.sportsline.com...@STJOS

OK, Chaney can coach now.

Oh that's right, they lost.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
John Chaney will return to coach Temple for another season, ending speculation about the Hall of Famer's future after a tumultuous conclusion to the season.

The 73-year-old Chaney was suspended for five games last month for ordering rough play by one of his players, who broke an opponent's arm.

"This is just a reaffirmation of an agreement between Temple and John Chaney," athletic director Bill Bradshaw told the Associated Press in a phone interview Monday night. "There really wasn't anything different about this at all. There wasn't an earthshaking event or meeting."

www.sportsline.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well deserved, IMHO, I have never heard of any other coach taking responsibility for his own actions in the way that Chaney did. Hopefully the boo birds don't follow next season. Or the goon birds.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i was hoping that he would be too busy being vice president to even think about coaching next year

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This incident aside, he's not a Dick...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

PHILADELPHIA -- Temple basketball player Nehemiah Ingram, who broke an opponent's arm when ordered to play rough by coach John Chaney, is trying to make the Owls' football team as a defensive lineman.

Ingram, 6-foot-8 and 275 pounds, is a walk-on hoping to become the fourth athlete to play football and basketball during the Chaney era.

Ingram was inserted into the Feb. 22 game against Saint Joseph's and told to commit hard fouls. One foul knocked John Bryant to the floor and broke his arm.

Chaney wanted to "send a message" and referred to Ingram after the game as a "goon." Chaney was suspended for five games, including the conference tournament.

Ingram first practiced with the Owls last week and participated in his first contact session Monday. In 19 games with the basketball team this season, he averaged 1.1 rebounds and 0.7 points.

Ingram last played competitive football in high school in Milledgeville, Ga., where he was a junior varsity tight end as a ninth-grader.

ESPN Story link

top topics

join