It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: J J Reddick - Watch!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- In the first and likely only start of his career, Patrick Davidson set the emotional tone for Duke. He manhandled Wake Forest guard Chris Paul on the opening possession, bumping him wildly before a foul was called.

He left the game after two minutes to a rousing ovation and got a warm embrace from Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski, who left no doubts about how important this game was.

"It's something I'll never forget," Davidson said.

J.J. Redick was pretty memorable himself.

The junior guard scored a career-high 38 points after Coach K shook up the starting lineup, and reserve Lee Melchionni added 15 to lead the Blue Devils past No. 5 Wake Forest 102-92 Sunday night.

Duke (19-4, 9-4 Atlantic Coast Conference), coming off consecutive losses for only the fourth time in the past eight seasons, had its way with the Demon Deacons in the second half. After trailing by two at the break, the Blue Devils (No. 8 ESPN/USA Today; No. 7 AP) shot 61 percent in the final 20 minutes to reach their highest point total of the season.

"It was as good as our offense has looked all year, and it wasn't one guy or just me," Redick said. "It was everybody."

Chris Paul had 27 points and Trent Strickland scored 17 for Wake Forest (22-4, 10-3), which fell out of a first-place tie with North Carolina.

Duke center Shelden Williams more than held his own in the matchup with Eric Williams, finishing with 12 points, nine rebounds and four blocks. And Melchionni, a junior who played very little during his first two seasons, came up with big play after big play when the Blue Devils needed it most.

He came in averaging only 6.8 points a game, but beat that total during a 90-second span of the second half. The left-hander swished a 3-pointer for a five-point lead, jumped in the passing lane for a steal that led to his own dunk, then spun in the paint for a short jumper.

"We feed off our defense as an offensive team," Melchionni said. "We really executed that."

On the other end, he drew a charge from Wake Forest guard Justin Gray, who went to the bench with his fourth foul with 14½ minutes left. Duke eventually went ahead 88-69 before the Deacons staged a furious rally to make the final respectable, getting within seven with 1:15 remaining.

The Blue Devils closed it out at the free throw line to win for only the third time in the past six games. They last lost three in a row to complete the 1995-96 season.

"It was the most competitive game we've been in in maybe a couple of years," Krzyzewski said. "Both teams just wanted it so badly. And they are just outstanding."

This one belonged to Redick, who hit his first six shots after starting the game with some unfamiliar teammates. He and Shelden Williams were with Reggie Love, Patrick Johnson and little-used Davidson, with Daniel Ewing, Sean Dockery and Shavlik Randolph sitting down.

Krzyzewski went to the different lineup based on how his players performed in two practices since a loss at Virginia Tech, with Davidson drawing particular praise.

"He was kind of the captain of that team that started," Krzyzewski said. "I loved how he started us out. Some of the great things that happen in coaching are not just coaching Jason Williams or Grant Hill. They're coaching Patrick Davidson in a moment like that, and I'm glad I was able to share that moment with him."

As expected, Wake Forest coach Skip Prosser had a different view of Davidson's "defense" on Paul.

"Would it have irritated you?" he said in a postgame session with reporters. "You guys make that call, you saw what was going on out there."

So did Paul.

"That's the oldest trick in the book," he said. "I've been seeing that since junior high."

That was the start of a gritty, physical first half during which the teams combined for 24 fouls, a total that included offsetting technicals on Dockery and Wake Forest's Jamaal Levy. Later, the usually unflappable Paul got a technical when he shoved the ball in the face of Melchionni, helping Duke take its big lead.

"He fouled me, and I just reacted when I shouldn't have," Paul said. "It was right in front of the referee. That was my fault."

Through it all, Redick continued making shots. He beat his previous best of 34 points from last season and shot 9-of-15, including 6-of-10 on 3-pointers.

"It doesn't mean anything to me, really," Redick said. "What means something to me is that we won. This team was really struggling, and we've had a rough couple of days. I would have the same feeling right now if we'd won and I'd scored two."

ESPN

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
has JJ picked up a injury, its his fan club on here seem to have vanished

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82
has JJ picked up a injury, its his fan club on here seem to have vanished

I have been a bit busy lately, haven't had time to post his game stats...

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I figured I'd update, if thats okay... Since the 2 losses (Maryland and VaTech), Duke has won 3 in a row, beating Wake, GaTech, and St. Johns. As was posted previously, JJ Redick scored 38 points against Wake (a career high) in 40 min (a full game). In the game against GaTech, he scored 21 points while again playing a full game. Against St. Johns, he scored 13 points in 32 minutes. Both the Wake and GaTech game were really intense, which led to a kinda let down against St. Johns. In the games against GaTech and St. Johns, JJ Redick was visibly tired, which is something that a lot of Duke fans have worried about (the toll that the season takes on the players), especially because of the way JJ plays and the length of time. That is, along with being the ACC leading scorer, he leads in category of minutes played. As of 2/24, he has averaged 37.3 minutes a game (from www.dukebasketballreport.com)
There should be more news about JJ and the team in the near future as this Sunday is the last game before tourney time... and it's against UNC. Which is big. Theres a lot of talk about him being perhaps the ACC Player of the Year (and stuff like that). He's also got poems up somewhere on the Sports Illustrated site. He's one of those players who (despite the JJ Redick boards on this site) is just plain hated in some areas partially cause hes kinda the current figurehead for Duke (which also... usually either hated or loved). Usually most people just see his shot (and it is a beauty), but he has improved his game a lot this year... ballhandling, driving to the basket, and defense (which lots of people say are qualities nonexistant) though, yes he is still comparatively slow. He's been able to play a lot longer as well because of training he did over the summer. I think there are probably a lot of articles still around regarding these things so... yeah. Sorry the post is so long. I just started typing and it kinda went on forever.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Good post wnyc5!

You're so right, you either hate Duke or love Duke.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a hater. I'm a huge Tarheel fan and this Sunday's game in Chapel Hill is huge! I dont know if McCants is ready to play yet or not, he's been out with some intestinal virus or something. I'm not a very big fan of Reddick either, he's mostly a one-dimensional player, but he has improved other aspects of his game this season.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
About UNC/Duke... at www.dukebasketballreport.com (which, obviously criticized for biases, but whatever), theres an article about the rivalry that reads really well by Al Featherstone. I love the part about the fans being amazingly similar. I don't remember hearing about whether or not McCants is ready to play yet... but being that the game is... huge... I would imagine he would want to be playing for that one, but I guess you never know. Although as a Duke fan, its not so much as big loss to me.
I wouldnt wish an illness/injury on anyone, though, and... really I guess I just expect both teams to be ready on Sunday.
Edited to add... I found this from the AP... (although the team has not given official word) "Rashad McCants has missed two games with an intestinal disorder, and could miss Thursday's game against Florida State. His father, James, told The News & Observer of Raleigh that the junior should be back "at least" in time for Sunday's regular-season finale against No. 6 Duke."
To bring more relevance to the post... I'm personally a little worried about how Duke is going to hold up for the last 2 games of the season/the tourneys... Last year they had issues with people, JJ Redick in particular getting really run down and his game went... off. And clearly with the short bench and the amount of time he plays, he are visibly tired right now. The whole team, perhaps, this could be said about. I think that the season takes a lot out of most players. Not to speak to soon, but I kinda think (hard as it is to admit) that Illinois and UNC seem to be in the best shape.

[Edited on 3/3/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wnyc5
I love the part about the fans being amazingly similar.

The fans down there are insane. I went to college down in NC so I know college basketball is like a religion down there. I made a couple of Tarheel games, that was about 15 years ago though.

I hate Duke, but props to the 'Cameron Crazies'.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for the updates, wnyc5!

I'm more partial to Duke than UNC, but I think they are both quality teams and programs, so I don't mind seeingthem succeed.

What's the other game they have before Sunday?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

What's the other game they have before Sunday?

Tonight, Carolina takes on Florida State and Miami is at Duke (ESPN 7pm).

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Yup, they played Miami and it was senior day. They won, 83 to 59, Daniel Ewing had his first career double double (I think). JJ Redick played 32 minutes and scored 29 points, shooting 50% from 3 point range (including some with insane range). It was promising considering how sluggishly he's been playing, but it was frustrating once they were up by 30 because he just wouldnt come out of the game. I definitely started yelling at my tv over how he needed to get out of the game so he would be ready for Sunday.

In other Duke related news (I wasnt sure where to put this), apparently one of the senior partners in the company that's looking to buy the NHL is the father of one of the walkon Duke players. He also is a coowner of the Celtics. Just thought it was an interesting point.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

it was frustrating once they were up by 30 because he just wouldnt come out of the game. I definitely started yelling at my tv over how he needed to get out of the game so he would be ready for Sunday.

I think, as did the commentators, that he wanted to make sure his lead in the ACC scoring race was secure. I agree, when they're up by that much they need to take advantage of the opportunity to rest him. The ACC tournamnet is next week and then the Big Dance right after that so they should want him rested. Then again, he was feeling it tonight and anyone thats played b-ball knows when you get in the zone, the last thing you want to do is come out of the game. So 6th ranked Duke won their game and the 2nd ranked Heels lead the 'Noles by 2 with 2 minutes left in the first half. It's going to be a showdown Sunday in Chapel Hill. We might have to start a thread just for that game.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I tried to post previously, but I'm not sure if it worked... sorry if it ends up a double post. (Not that I remember exactly what I wrote last time)
... It may be because I'm definitely a JJ Redick fan, but I'd like to believe that he didnt stay in the game because he wanted to stay the ACC leading scorer. I mean, the 2nd highest scorer is Diaz and there is a healthy margin... Also, it wasnt like he was shooting at every opportunity; Coach K definitely stresses team, and theyve been a... somewhat surprising one this year... Just as in an article where they discussed JJ and Raymond Felton in terms of bids for POY, they're both seemingly eager to pass along praise to their teammates. JJ seems to want to play no matter what, I remember an article about how he enjoys being able to play longer, even if his shot is off (case in point, 8 points against NC State). And the thing about being in "the zone" actually makes a lot of sense (though it was no less frustrating). I guess in summation... I think he wanted to stay out because he likes to play... and, as we saw during the loss @ Wake, he's has quite the competitive spirit.
Regarding a Duke/UNC thread... I'm definitely intrigued, but a little... nervous (if thats the word). I mean... in most cases they seem to break down to attacks and all out hostility... which is expected but... intense. Either way though.

Also... being that it's a JJ Redick thread, the AP articles about the Miami game (or at least the one on espn.com) focuses focuses a lot on him... I have to say that I was really amused by the JJ's winning chant. Mean, but true. Although not quite despicable like... earlier incidents (whose target was JJ Redick).

[Edited on 3/3/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I tried to post previously, but I'm not sure if it worked... sorry if it ends up a double post.

Regarding a Duke/UNC thread... I'm definitely intrigued, but a little... nervous (if thats the word). I mean... in most cases they seem to break down to attacks and all out hostility... which is expected but... intense.

Your post worked, it's on the first page.

Nothing to be nervous about, we discuss things in a mature manner here usually mixed with some fun humor, nothing personal. Flamers are dealt with swiftly so dont ever be afraid to speak your mind here. BTW, welcome to SportzTawk, nice to have you here, even being a Dukie.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I always look forward to the UNC-Duke matchups, always a great game. You know what's amazing, they've never ever met in the NCAA tournament.

How about those Illini? If they beat Ohio St this weekend, they go undefeated in the regular season.

wnyc5, have you seen the NCAA pool we're doing?

www.sportztawk.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Today is the big UNC-Duke game!

Looks like McCants is going to miss his 4th straight game with that intestinal disorder. He's the Heels' leading scorer.

Should be a great game.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
To update on JJ himself... he's definitely being considered for both ACC POY (and the All ACC team), as well as general POY (and all american team, I think). Both he and Shelden Williams are on the ballot for the "2005 Wooden Award All-American Team and Player of the Year." During the game against Carolina, JJ played 39 minutes, 17 points, had 2 rebounds and 6 assists. He basically stopped scoring after tweaking his ankle in the first half (as well as because of UNC's defense efforts). I dont mean to take anything away from the defense... but the more I think about it... he's such a good shooter... and legitimately a smart player... that it's a little weird to see him to get absolutely nothing after scoring 17 in the first half. I mean... definitely, the defense clamped, but if he was feeling good about it, i think he wouldve at least gotten to the free throw line or something. I guess I'm just a little boggled. Although... yeah. awesome awesome defense by Jackie Manuel for keeping him out of rhythm. That, I'm sure had a lot to do with it.
ETA: JJ is also a finalist for the Rupp award.
um... about jj in the second half... i think im just rationalizing... so never mind. heh. im going to go with... the defense was great and forced him out of a rhythm so he unforunately was unable to impact the 2nd half in terms of point production.
Goodness gracious. there are wayyy too many awards. He's apparently also up for the Naismith award.

[Edited on 3/6/05 by wnyc5]

[Edited on 3/6/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
JJ Redick was unanimously voted to (the) 1st team All ACC. He's joined by Shelden Williams, Raymond Felton, Sean May and Chris Paul. JJ was the only who was voted on unanimously (121 votes)... I think the next person was Chris Paul with something like 113... and then Shelden Williams and Sean May both had 111. (I think).
It is very likely that he will still be playing for Duke next year, as a senior.

ETA... I know a lot of players and teams get a lot of crap said about them, and I'm sure you see this sort of thing echoed to the same extent in other sports... but goodness... sometimes it's hard not to be frustrated as a Duke fan. I mean, yes you either love em or hate em... but... when you see polls where Duke is, by a landslide, the most hated college basketball team in the nation... and then articles where the reporters should have at least a little bit of... tact, or at least sense of reality, there totally isnt... it's utterly frustrating. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to actually be on the team and face that kind of hatred day in and day out.

[Edited on 3/7/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well a big part of the reason they're hated is because they're good, and have been good for a long time. They're like the Yankees of college hoops, they win year after year and unless you're a fan of them, you hate them. Nobody will deny that Coach K is a great coach and runs a model program. I obviously hate them a bit more than most but thats because I'm a Heels fan. If you really like Duke, then you have to hate UNC, thats just the way it is.

CBS Sportsline actually selected Carolina's Sean May as ACC player of the year with Duke's Shelden Williams the runner-up. Do you think Redick should get the nod?

www.sportsline.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I totally understand why Duke is hated... and yes, I'm not particularly fond of UNC either... but its frustrating being that... there are people saying things that they shouldnt, like their attacks go beyond what's reasonable... i mean... maybe its just me, but i feel like dislike is no reason to be rude and mean about things unrelated. I guess what frustrates me is that I sometimes I want so much to respond... but the only way to do so would be to do something equally as rude, which to my own moral compass, is something that I try not to do if I don't know the person. I'm getting tangental, so I'm going to stop there. I honestly do not know how JJ Redick deals with the stuff he faces... especially as it frustrates me on his (and their) behalf.
ETA... because of my own biases, I'm not sure if I would qualify myself to choose the POY. Especially because (with this past season) I would probably choose JJ every time. But Sean May and Shelden Williams certainly did have wonderful seasons as well... It's almost like... no matter who you choose, you cant go wrong... and that someone will disagree no matter what. But I have to tell you, JJ really exceeded my expectations this year, whereas... Sean May and Shelden Williams... you basically expect them to be... forces of nature. But JJ... the knock on him is that he's only a shooter... and this season, he's been the vocal leader on the court, he's adjusted himself to the game and worked on driving, dribbling, defense, passing. He's shown a lot of heart... and I totally point to both Wake games for that one (he was amazing in those two games). I'm not going to say that he deserves it over Shelden Williams and Sean May because of it... goodness knows Shelden Williams pulled the team through a bunch of games as well... and Sean May had a monster game... but... yeah I'm terribly fond of JJ so I'll leave it at that.

[Edited on 3/7/05 by wnyc5]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I have to agree with you there, there has been some really unacceptable behavior towards Redick. It's one thing to cheer and boo and get on players, but personal insults and obscenities are just over the line. I saw a special on ESPN and Redick says he just tries to tune it out but it's got to be distracting. Apparently there were some pretty nasty things said. It seems like he has kept his composure and should be commended for that, but fans need to stay passionate but lose the unsportsmanlike junk.

Forget POY, there are plenty of guys that we could justify winning it. The All-ACC team had 2 Heels and 2 Dukies, fair enough.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join