It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: Penn State Football

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Yeah, i was surprsed ot hear about this when I got on the radio.

Hopefully Joe announces who he wants as his replacement, so the recruits can see where the program is heading.

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
WE ARE...

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
PENN STATE!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Sorry, just getting myself ready for tonight's game, since I'm not there, I still need to give the cheer!

Go Joe!

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
That was a great game last night, and puts the Nittany Lions in the drivers seat for the Big 10 championship. It is still a long season, with games at Michigan and Michigan State to come, and Wisconsin coming to visit. But, they should be able to keep it together for the trip to the Rose Bowl...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Dare I say, we got screwed over the weekend???

Why did they put 2 seconds back on the clock?

And those ball placements, you'd think the refs were on the Wolverines payroll.

Deal with it, though. They are still in the drivers seat for the Big 10 championship.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Penn State hosts Wisconsin this afternoon in what is essentially the Big Ten Championship game, as the winner will have a single loss in the conference with one game remaining. This should be a great game, both teams have identical records, and are ranked 10 and 14 in the AP poll.

Barry Alvarez is in his last season as coach of the Badgers, and is one of the few coaches who has a winning record against JoePa.

Here is a link to an article concerning the game from the Penn State Daily Collegian.

www.collegian.psu.edu...

Love that picture of JoePa!

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
They pulled out the win today, 35-14, and are in the drivers seat for the Big Ten title and an automatic BCS bid. The only thing that stands in thier way is a tough Michigan State team in two weeks. Good luck fellas!

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Michigan State this weekend to wrap up the 2005 regular season. The Spartans have dropped a few game slately, but they always, always play tough against Penn State, especially when they are in East Lansing.

A win, and they have the Big Ten title, and a BCS bowl bid. Even an outside chance at playing for the National Title, if 2 of the 3 teams ahead of them stumble until the end of the season.

Not too shabby for a coach that everyone was saying the game had passed by. Paterno had a bad season back at the end of the '80s. He talked to his buddy John Robinson from USC, and he revitalized the team, and headed on to an undefeated season in 1994.

This time around, the call went out to Texas coach Mack Brown in Austin. Several staff members visited with his staff to learn the spread option offensive scheme. With Michael Robinson in the game, this offense works like magic.

As for that outside chance for the National Title? I wouldn't expect that. But, with the fresh young talent on this team, dont' be surprised if they are in the hunt for the BCS championship over the course of the next few seasons. Maybe win one or two more for JoePa.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Well, they won over the weekend. 10-1, first BCS bid ever (ironically, they where essentially the straw that broke the cames back in creating the BCS), Big Ten CHAMPIONS!!!

Congrats boys, now let's hope that Texas or USC stumble along the way here...

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Gibbs, you are obviously a monster Penn State fan. I got stuck going to a Bridge tourney on the weekend when Notre Dame "lost" to USC and Penn State "lost" to Michigan, but as I understand it, both Notre Dame and Penn State got SCREWED.

Is that true? Is Penn State therefore supposed to still be undefeated? What an awful thing if that's so.

If this is true, do you think they would rank #1 or #2 in the BCS had they not been screwed? And bear this in mind: I live on the West Coast, 1 mile from the ocean, and have seen all but that one of the USC scare games this year. That team is light years from being invincible.

They easily could lose to UCLA, especially since UCLA gets an extra week to study how Fresno State put 42 on the board against the mighty Trojans--including a bunch after USC had recovered at halftime and seemingly started to pull away for a blowout. Fresno State drove down to the USC 25, first and 10, in the final 2 minutes, with a chance to get to overtime if they got 8 more points.

Of course, IF the Trojans lose to UCLA, and if Penn State doesn't take a computer screwing, I suppose it's no harm no foul, huh? But what do you think of all this? DID Penn State get screwed royally on their only loss? I've yet to find out. But I sure don't buy the b.s. notion that B.Z.S. (Blind Zebra Syndrome) is a part of the game and adds the "human element." And I'd hate to think it's going to cost Paterno a shot at a fairy-tale type championship.

B.H.N.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
Gibbs, you are obviously a monster Penn State fan. I got stuck going to a Bridge tourney on the weekend when Notre Dame "lost" to USC and Penn State "lost" to Michigan, but as I understand it, both Notre Dame and Penn State got SCREWED.

Is that true? Is Penn State therefore supposed to still be undefeated? What an awful thing if that's so.

If this is true, do you think they would rank #1 or #2 in the BCS had they not been screwed? And bear this in mind: I live on the West Coast, 1 mile from the ocean, and have seen all but that one of the USC scare games this year. That team is light years from being invincible.

They easily could lose to UCLA, especially since UCLA gets an extra week to study how Fresno State put 42 on the board against the mighty Trojans--including a bunch after USC had recovered at halftime and seemingly started to pull away for a blowout. Fresno State drove down to the USC 25, first and 10, in the final 2 minutes, with a chance to get to overtime if they got 8 more points.

Of course, IF the Trojans lose to UCLA, and if Penn State doesn't take a computer screwing, I suppose it's no harm no foul, huh? But what do you think of all this? DID Penn State get screwed royally on their only loss? I've yet to find out. But I sure don't buy the b.s. notion that B.Z.S. (Blind Zebra Syndrome) is a part of the game and adds the "human element." And I'd hate to think it's going to cost Paterno a shot at a fairy-tale type championship.

B.H.N.

BHN, IMHO, which is admittedly biased, Penn State did get screwed, Lloyd Carr asked for time to be put back on the clock with about 30 seconds left, and they put 2 extra seconds back on the clock.

It would be ironic, really, if they would have won that game, and they were locked out of the championship game. I think that the 1994 donation of a National Title to Tom Osbourne was the straw that broke the camels back in creating a championship series.

Not that it really matters, though. I don't know if the Nittany Lions would hang with either Texas or USC. And I don't honestly expect to find out, either.

posted on Nov, 29 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well....

As a West Coaster, I have seen enough of USC this year, and their several close games, to know that Penn State would for sure have a shot against them. Until a week ago, I'd have thought they'd have no shot against Texas, but I watched an A&M team whose QB had tons of heart but zero passing ability really push Texas, and I watched an A&M defense that's supposed to suck bigtime really limit Texas and its Heisman hotshot.

So, yeah, if one of those games goes your way, I wouldn't rule out Penn State's chances for an upset in the title game, and I'd jump all over it if I could get Penn State plus 14 in the big one.

It would certainly serve Texas right to get upset on Saturday, after the B.S. their coach pulled last year to shaft Cal out of a BCS berth. And USC doesn't deserve to get away with flirting with death a zillion times, either. So maybe Saturday will be like those NFL playoffs in 1979, when 3 of 4 games were shockers: Tampa Bay stunned the great wildcard team, Philly; the Rams shocked Staubach and the Cowboys into retirement; and, in what's almost surely still the biggest upset in NFL playoff history, Houston played WITHOUT Earl Campbell (their whole offense) and Dan Pastorini (their starting QB), against the #1 seed in the AFC, the SD Chargers, with Fouts and Air Coryell and all those weapons. Fouts threw FIVE picks and the impossible happened.

I don't think it will take anywhere near that big an upset for either of those teams to lose this weekend.

Now, do I think one of those two teams will fall? No. But if someone wants to bet the proposition, and wants to give me 5/2 odds that neither of the Big Two will fall this weekend... I'll jump at those odds to the tune of $200. (We're probably not allowed to do that, but if we are....)

I'll be rooting for you on Saturday, Big Guy.

B.H.N.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Of course, since Texas last won a title because Dick Nixon proclaimed it so, when it could just as easily gone to Penn State, it would be fitting to see them play each other in a title game, a generation in a half late...

EDIT- typo

[Edited on 12/3/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Penn State receiver Derrick Williams is doubtful for the Orange Bowl because of an arm injury that sidelined the freshman for two months.

Coach Joe Paterno said Thursday that Williams, who has been out with a broken left arm, will sit out the No. 3 Nittany Lions' game against No. 22 Florida State on Tuesday.

"Derrick Williams is worth a touchdown, but I doubt, really, if he'll play," Paterno said.

source

CBS Sportsline

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
All thing sconsidered, I expect the Orange Bowl to be a classic game. Of course the coaching matchup of Paterno vs. Bowden is getting all the hype, and many are sayign that Florida State shouldn't be in a BCS game ranked #22 in the land. But, the Seminoles have something to prove in this game, they won't just roll over and let the Nittany Lions run up and down the field. This will be a slugfest, but I fully expect the Lions to be the last team standing, and wind up as the #2 team in the land.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
OK, it wasnt' a classic shoot-em-up, but both D's came to play. I don't know how many penalties and injuries there were, but they both played a huge part in last night's game. I was glad for the end, mainly so I could get some friggin sleep...

As my buddy said, I'm gonna send Kevin Kelly the bill for my ulcers...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join