It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: Maurice Clarett

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   

ESPN

Clarett cleared to practice during suspension

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State went 3-0 without Maurice Clarett last year, in its way to a national championship. The Buckeyes may have to double that performance this season, if they want to repeat.

Clarett will miss six games due to suspensions for violating NCAA rules and giving false statements to campus police, an Ohio State source told the Cleveland Plain Dealer for Saturday's editions.

Clarett was suspended from the team for "multiple games" on Friday for his role in the exaggerated theft report. Clarett reported losses of $800 in cash and $9,500 in merchandise after a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo was burglarized in April. Clarett borrowed the car from a local dealership.

Clarett, who rushed for an Ohio State freshman record 1,237 yards last year, helped lead the Buckeyes to the national championship. He scored the winning touchdown in Ohio State's 31-24 double-overtime victory over Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.

This has got to be a blow to the Buckeyes, Clarett was a key factor in their championship last season. Who is going to replace him during his 6 game suspension? How do you think this will affect Ohio State's chances at defending their national championship?

Ben

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
They do have a decent backup to Clarett...but he is no where near the level that Clarett is at. I was hoping that Clarett was going to be able to let go of the charges and go on through the whole season. BUt i guess that isnt going to happen. The Buckeyes are going to have to reley on great defense again and hope that they wont get into to much trouble on the offesne side of the ball...they are the defending champs. The passing game was there at time during the season...and that is going to have to stay if they are wanting a chance to repeat.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
For now, the Buckeyes will go to battle with Lydell Ross, Maurice Hall and Ira Guilford. Ross and Hall showed during Clarett's injury woes last year that they are capable of picking up the ball and carrying the load, so the running game should be fine against Washington and San Diego State in the first two weeks.

Their schedule gets alot tougher as the season progresses, and they cant rely on their defense as much as last year since they lost its leaders in middle linebacker Matt Wilhelm and safeties Mike Doss and Donnie Nickey. All were four-year starters, and that missing element is going to be a huge difference on that side of the ball.

Ohio State will definitely need his services in the NC State game and for the Oct. 11 trip to Wisconsin, and a Nov. 1 date with Penn State in Happy Valley will not be a cakewalk if Clarett is out of the lineup.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Myke Clarett said his son, star running back Maurice, will leave Ohio State after his junior season and enter the NFL draft, according to a report Monday in USA Today.

"Enough's enough. Who needs it? He can do the same thing in the NFL -- get the cars and it's legal," Clarett told the newspaper.

I'm sure that's not what Buckeye fans want to hear.

Ben

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Dont get me wrong he is a great player but i dont think that he is ready for the NFL yet. He has a lot of growing to do..and with this NCAA suspension maybe he will realize that staying in college will help in grow.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   
he is a great player but how stupid can this guy be...why do all the good players get in trouble?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
clarret has been ruled by a judge to be eligable for this years draft.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Not sure I agree with what the judge said. Something about anti-competition or some crap like that. This throws the credibility of the NFLPA out the window. If they agreed with the NFL to not allow players into the NFL until they have been out of high school 3 years, then that is that.

This is going to set a bad precedence. College programs are going to suffer and there are going to be a lot of people getting hurt.

A high schoolers body is not mean to be tackled at full speed by a 12 year veteran safety.

Ben

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
excatly, and he will most likely be spending years on the bench before he spends some good quailty field time. I bet that he might get seriously injuried if he plays in the NFL this year.

Why did the judge rule yes?

Ben

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well the NFL is going to try to appeal the rule is that going to happen?

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well the kid is only played 1 full year of college football, last year he sat out the whole season due to suspenions. This kid is NOT ready to play with the big boys. Come on he is what 20 years old not even, and he has played one year of college football, as soon as he sets into a training camp he is going to get destroyed.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
he isnt ready like you said hawkeye, just that he needs to play more college football and grow, i also dont think he is ready mentally.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
everybody knows that he will be in the draft, and some team is going to take him in the first round, because of his performance in his 1 year in college.

Ben

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
And that team to take him in the first round will most liekly be the Bears who are experssing a need at the RB position and have shown interest in Clarett.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
OSU SUCKS WITH OR WITHOUT HIM SO THERE!

Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
how do they suck? they won a national championship with him, and last season without him they were in the top 10.

top topics

join