It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: Neuheisel says he was in gambling pool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Washington football coach Rick Neuheisel said he took part in a college basketball tournament gambling pool the past two years, and the NCAA is investigating, The Seattle Times reported Thursday.

Two NCAA investigators and one from the Pac-10 Conference questioned Neuheisel on Wednesday after receiving a tip that he put up $5,000 and won about $20,000 by picking Maryland in the 2002 tournament, the newspaper reported.

NCAA officials would not discuss the investigation.

The NCAA manual says coaches, staff members and athletes may not knowingly ``solicit or accept a bet on any intercollegiate competition for any item (e.g., cash, shirt, dinner) that has tangible value.''

``I never in my wildest dreams imagined I was doing anything to jeopardize my employment,'' Neuheisel told the Times after meeting with investigators. ``I don't think I would ever put myself in that situation knowingly, but I'm hopeful I can be the coach at Washington. I'd certainly like to be.''

Link

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   
ARREST HIM!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I dont really know if I think that its that bad...I mean who doesnt bet on an NCAA pool??

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I dont really know if I think that its that bad...I mean who doesnt bet on an NCAA pool??

True true.... but still... ARREST HIM!!

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I never in my wildest dreams imagined I was doing anything to jeopardize my employment.....

Erm betting on the results maybe?
I agree that everyone does it, but still...

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Embattled Washington football coach Rick Neuheisel insisted again Wednesday that he's done nothing wrong by betting on the past two NCAA basketball tournaments.

Neuheisel and three partners reportedly wagered $6,400 on the past two NCAA basketball tournaments and won $12,123, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which said earlier reports of $20,000 in winnings were wrong. Neuheisel said some of his gambling winnings were distributed to schools and youth organizations.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
SEATTLE -- Washington offensive coordinator Keith Gilbertson was appointed Tuesday to supervise the football program while coach Rick Neuheisel's termination process is completed.

The announcement was made by athletic director Barbara Hedges, who said the 55-year-old Gilbertson "will be responsible for supervising the staff and overseeing daily operations of the football program" while Neuheisel is suspended.

Hedges announced last week that Neuheisel will be fired for violating NCAA rules against gambling by his participation in NCAA basketball tournament pools in 2002 and 2003.

She also said Neuheisel wasn't forthcoming with NCAA investigators when initially questioned. Coaches aren't allowed to gamble on college sports under NCAA rules.

Since last week's news conference where Hedges announced Neuheisel's firing, it was disclosed that Gilbertson participated in a $3 NCAA basketball tournament pool inside the football office in 1999.

Hedges has said it wouldn't affect Gilbertson's candidacy as a potential interim coach. Gilbertson acknowledged the matter isn't resolved and said he couldn't recall details.

espn.go.com...

top topics

join