It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golf: To Drive, To Drive

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
TRD, sorry to hear about your accident and delighted to hear you haven't let it slow your golf game down. Good luck to you in recovering and getting your swing back. It is a great idea to use video cameras to view your swing, most PGA professionals use one form or another to aid them.

I don't know what you look for in your swing but here is a tip for the next time you go to the range with your camera. All you need is a dryerase marker, a ruler and a TV.

1) When you get home to view the film on a television, freeze the film at an image of you at address (set-up ready to hit it)

2) Take the ruler and line it up directly over the shaft of your club. Draw a straight line with the ruler on the same line as your club.

3) Now start the film (in slow motion if you can) and watch your club head.

The line you created with the marker is called the "swing plane" and is very important.

If your clubhead is to the right of the line (or above it) you are what we call "steep" and it will normally produce a slice. If you are to the left of the line (or below it) you are what we call laid off of flat and it will normally produce a hook. In order to consistantly hit the ball solid and straight you need to be "on plane". After a while of seeing it on film you will be able to fell the clubhead and understand the movements you need to make to get the club in that position consistantly. Also if your friend you spoke of would be willing another eye is always good. Then if you are not getting the club in the right positions he can tell you and help you get it there.

Making changes to your swing is never comfortable and needs time to feel right. Results may not start to improve immediately and you may even hit it worse to begin with. I hope everything I have said makes sense. Trust me I know it's not an easy game and improving is not easy either, give it a try sometime and really work on taking that club back "on plane". If you can do it consistantly you will hit it better, gauranteed.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I guess I forgot to mention that you need to set the camera up directly behind you. If you are left handed just switch right with left and left with right.

Another thing is that someday I hope to get to golf's birthplace in Scotland. You mentioned links style golf and as you know in the states we play a total different game. Someday I hope to be able to play the game the way it was origanally meant to be played. I actually envy you greatly for being able to play such courses.

TRD

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the tips, one big problem i have is finding the time to go. But i will be trying to go as often as i can....

new topics

<< 1   >>

join