It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golf: GOLF: Buick Invitational

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
After three rounds, "Wild Thing" John Daly is in front by a stroke and trying to win his first tourney since '95. Daly is at -13, he eagled the final hole Saturday to lead Stewart Cink by a stroke and Dennis Paulson by 2.

Daly's last win ws the 1995 British Open.

sports.espn.go.com...

sports.espn.go.com...

Ben

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Can tiger can back and win this tournament?

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Can tiger can back and win this tournament?

I doubt it, but anything can happen. Going into the final round today he trails leader John Daly by 8 strokes. Phil Mickelson trails by 9 shots.

Vijay Singh had 12 consecutive Top-10 finishes until he missed the cut on Friday by one stroke.

Ben

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What happened to Phil he was playing so great a little while ago?

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
What happened to Phil he was playing so great a little while ago?

He's had a good start this year, he's not doing too bad. He's a 4 under par entering today's final round, not great but not too shabby.

Ben

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
yea not to shabby i thought he would be on a confidence streak. But i dont want that much golf at all so i dont know to much about it. but i do konw that i havent heard the name of serigo gracia in a while.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Phil shot a -5 in the final round to end up at -9. That's not bad at all, good enough for 4th place right now. There are still guys playing so it could change but another solid tourney from Phil Mickelson.

posted on Feb, 15 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
After 12 holes, John Daly is a +2 today for a -11 on the tourney. That keeps him in front by just one stroke over Chris Riley who is on the 15th.

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
John Daly wins his first tournament in over nine years and won it in a three way playoff!!

John Daly buried his face in his hands and cried, a winner again thanks to a shot that epitomizes his turbulent career.

With a 100-foot bunker shot that trickled within 4 inches of the cup, Daly birdied the 18th hole Sunday to win the Buick Invitational in a three-man playoff, his first PGA Tour victory in nearly nine years.

''It's the greatest,'' Daly said, fighting back tears. ''I've had a lot of ups and downs. Geez, this is sweet.''

For those who have followed the turmoil in his life, it was simply stunning.

Only six months ago, Daly was down in the dumps when he learned his fourth wife had been indicted on federal drug and gambling charges, just five days after giving birth to his first son.

Daly crashed the PGA Tour scene in 1991 by winning the PGA Championship as the ninth alternate. He picked up his second major on golf's most hallowed grounds, the '95 British Open at St. Andrews.

After both highs, he spiraled into incredible lows -- two divorces, two trips to alcohol rehab, rash behavior on the golf course that led the PGA Tour to suspend him, rumors of gambling and drinking.

Suddenly, it feels like another new start.

''This is the greatest victory,'' Daly said. ''I won two majors. Nothing can take away from that. But I've never won a tournament that Tiger Woods has been in the field. That feels good.''

Woods pulled within two shots until his driver failed him again. He closed with a 69 and tied for 10th, two strokes short of the playoff.

Phil Mickelson also made a big charge, with birdies on eight of his first 11 holes. He birdied the final hole for a 67, then waited nearly an hour to see if he would make the playoff.

Nice to see John Daly win after all he's been through. He had one heck of a tournament.

Ben

posted on Feb, 16 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Seems like he had a great tournament, lets hope he can keep this play up.

new topics

top topics

join