It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golf: Golf: Martha and the Masters protesters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
"As a wave of golf fans shadowed Tiger Woods inside the gates of Augusta National on Saturday, about 40 women's activists gathered in a weedy field a half-mile away and loudly accused the elite, all-male club of sex discrimination."

"Martha Burk, head of the National Council of Women's Organizations, has been publicly pressuring the club for months to accept a woman member."

"But not even her threat of massive protests during The Masters Tournament, now under way, has budged club chairman Hootie Johnson. When Burk went after the tournament's sponsors, Johnson released them from this year's broadcast so they wouldn't be targeted for boycotts."

Burk's protest was much smaller than the 200 demonstrators she had predicted, with about 10 speakers on stage and about 30 supporters. They were outnumbered by police officers sent to keep the peace in a nearly empty field, but they said they had thousands of people behind them.

sports.espn.go.com...

What do you think about this whole protest thing against Augusta? I think it's ridiculous, why can't there be clubs for male members only? How is that discrimination? Women are free to form clubs and make it exclusively for themselves, why would they want to join a mens club? I just think if you form your own private club, you should be entitled to say who can and cannot join your club.

TRD

posted on Apr, 12 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Totally agree if it is all male then too bad.If there is a all women club will they let men join?.Will women have to play off a handicap if they were allowed to join as physically they are not better than the men?

Ben

posted on Apr, 15 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I am completly with you guys on this one, i think that it is ridiculous. The male players should be able to play in their own clubs. If you notice the handicap system is totally different for men's and women golf. If women were to join Augusta it would totally ruin the whole thing, you dont see men players jumping and saying that they should be able to play in the women's tour. If the men did play on that tour they would destroy all the women and win all the events. This Burk person doesnt see that.
Augusta should keep doing what they are doing. Even though i would like to see women people their i just dont think it is the right thing for women to be there.

posted on Apr, 16 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Now the witch says she's targeting every CEO of every corporation that sponsors the PGA. What a joke!

top topics

join