It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
GiantsFan, please don't take this the wrong way, but where have you been living for the last 10 years? The NFL has been #1 in the United States for over 20 years now. Each year, the Super Bowl is by far the highest rated TV show, and the five months of NFL season outshine the rest of the sports on at the time. On sports shows in October, the first thing they talk about is the NFL season, not the baseball playoffs. For the last four years, the NFL has set attendance records--something baseball can't claim.
3. NFL - Is working it's way to the top sport in America, but has a little ways to go yet.
Originally posted by BirdstheBest
How would you rank the sports of the United States in order of popularity and coverage? When you make your list, differentiate between pro and college sports.
1. The National Football League - no doubt about this one; the NFL rules America
2. (but far behind #1)College Football - this one has always been strong, but now it's getting bigger
3. Major League Baseball - got a boost in recent years; we'll see if it can maintain any momentum in the post-steroid era
4. NASCAR - as much as I hate to admit it, NASCAR is huge in the United States and its fan base just keeps growing
5. NBA basketball - last year was exciting and the playoffs were amazing. Another few seasons like 2005-06 and the NBA will be back at #2 where it was in the 1980's and 1990's
6. College Basketball - March Madness dominates the sports world for two weeks, and the regular season is getting more coverage
7. Golf - For many, it's a hate it or love it kind of sport. Tiger Woods is what keeps golf popular in the United States as a spectator sport
8. NHL Hockey - This one is falling fast, and if things continue the way they have been, the NHL could be in dire trouble--even with its loyal fan base
9. Poker - Believe it or not, this one is gaining in popularity at an unbelievable rate
10. Tennis - still has its fans, but this one is diminishing in interest as well, and is being threatened by such sports as cycling and soccer
Lay it on me--what's wrong with this list?