It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Others: Sports Calls: What's Your Favorite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You know, the voices of the announcers who call memorable games are imprinted on our memory forever. We all have our favorites. I like the call for Kirk Gibson's HR in 1988 ("I don't believe what I just saw!"), Larry Bird's steal in 1987 ("Now there's a steal by Bird--underneath to DJ, he lays it in!"), and Doug Flutie's 1984 Hail Mary ("Phelan is at the bottom of that pile!"). But my favorite has to be Joe Starkey's call of The Play in the 1982 Stanford-Cal game:

THE BEARS HAVE WON! THE BEARS HAVE WON! OH, MY GOD! THE MOST AMAZING, SENSATIONAL, DRAMATIC, HEART-RENDING... EXCITING, THRILLING FINISH IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

What's your favorite?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Well, I saw Maz's HR live on TV, as a child, and don't remember the broadcaster's call because I was too enthralled by the enormity of what I'd just witnessed... the very thing all of us kids pretended to do when playing ball in the streets.

So, as cliche as it is, and even though it occurred two years before my birth, my vote has to go to:

"There's a long drive... It's going to be... I believe... THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!! [repeat one million times]"

I heard Starkey's call live, and it actually was a little annoying because I had no idea what was going on, due to his utter hysteria and resulting inability to convey the play to his listeners. Hodges' call got hysterical, too, but I'm quite certain all listeners knew that Bobby Thomson had just hit a pennant-winning 3-run HR in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat the evil Dodgers.

And Hodges' hysteria was to Giants fans was Harry Carey's hysteria was to Cubs' fans: lovable, no matter how many "broadcasting professionals" said otherwise. Joe Starkey was just plain shrill and hysterical, on a regular basis, so that when the call of his lifetime came along--when THE most exciting play in college FB history landed squarely in his lap--radio listeners didn't know the full magnitude of what was happening.

BHN

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I remember when Mad Dog Vachon's brother Butcher got maried at a wrestling match and a big riot broke out (go figure).

The call? "My God! They're body slamming the groom!!!

My favorite.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The only one that stands out for me, I don't know who was calling the play, is. "HENDERSON SCORES FOR CANADA." 72 Summit Series, game 8. Might have been Foster Hewitt.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
A close second for me would be Jack Buck's call of Kirk Gibson's HR in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series: "This is gonna be home run--unbelievable!...I don't believe what I just saw!"

By the way, I wish to point out to yeahright that professional wrestling is NOT a sport. It is merely entertainment--fun to watch sometimes, but entertainment nevertheless--a fact constantly affirmed by Vince McMahon.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The Celtic announcer "Bird steals the ball..." I don't at the moment recall the whole quote or who the guy is...

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That was Johnny Most, and the call was: "Now there's a steal by Bird! Underneath to DJ--he lays it in!"

TRD

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
On the comment that wrestling isnt a sport, i beg to differ. Try saying that to the independant wrestling companys and the wrestlers who get real bad injuries, take real hits and work their butts off day in day out to earn a crust.

We had one posting on here and she will tell you alot different. I'm not talking about Vince and the circus show of the WWE which is fun to watch and is know as sports entertainment as you say.

top topics

join