It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Others: armstrong to race in tour de france

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Armstrong to ride in Tour de France, seek seventh win

February 16, 2005
PARIS (AP) -- Six-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong will attempt his seventh consecutive win in cycling's most prestigious race this summer.

Armstrong's schedule ``will include this summer's Tour de France, where he will go for a seventh straight victory,'' his Discovery Channel team said on its Web site Wednesday.

``I am grateful for the opportunity that Discovery Communications has given the team and look forward to achieving my goal of a seventh Tour de France (victory),'' it quoted the Texan as saying.

The announcement ended speculation about whether Armstrong would skip the race to focus on other events. Last year he became the first cyclist to win the Tour de France six times.

``I am excited to get back on the bike and start racing although my condition is far from perfect,'' Armstrong said in the statement.

Armstrong will start his season with the Paris-Nice stage race in March. He will then race in the Tour of Flanders on April 3, before seeking to defend his title at the Tour de Georgia in the United States later that month, the statement said.

Armstrong added that he and team manager Johan Bruyneel ``will evaluate my fitness later this spring and possibly add some races to the calendar

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Some of the moutain stages and the time trial stages are shorter which could lead to problems for lance. He is used to breaking off big chuncks of time in these stages. But he is lance so he will probably have no problems getting another victory under his belt

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
do they make the route known in advance?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Now if there is any guy who is classed as a true sportsman, it has to be this guy, he is a legend and a half whos name will live in the sport for centuries to come

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
do they make the route known in advance?

I would think so, probably been out for quite a while.

top topics

join