It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Others: 2005 Elk Toss finals set.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I share with you an email I received today -

Greetings Fellow Elk-Tossers,

The Danville German Society would like to invite you to the 2005 Elk Toss and Charity Auction, which will be held February 26. Mark your calendars because it won't be any fun for you if you aren't there.

The location of the events is yet to be determined, but it will definitely be in or near Danville. The events will be similar to previous years: Salad Toss, Scrap Iron Toss, Elk Bugling, Sled Dog Race, Ice Roping, Clog Toss, and the Elk Toss. If there is anything else that we could toss or another event that you have in mind, let us know and we mighe be able to add it to the schedule. If your event involves a catapult, make sure it works before you come to Danville.

For the Charity Auction, try to collect items to donate and ask relatives for donations when you see them over the holidays.

Don't be scared to reply to this email. We like to hear from you, especially if you try to write in German.

See you with your Lederhosen on,
the DGS

P.S. You will be receiving more emails from us between now and February 26. If you want us to stop sending you email, please reply to this email with the subject: "Uncle's Lederhosen are greasy, they make me queasy".

Elk Toss Link - some results from prior years.

Danville German Society

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
is this a for real thing, if so i think it is a great idea, i have an ex and her entire family i would be more than willing to donate, let me know what danville this is in and i will have them on their way pronto!!!!! :party-smiley-018:

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It's Danville, PA. I went last year for the first time, but didn't realize that they had all of the other contests during the day, I'm looking forward to the Elk Bugling...I'm sorry to admit that I really did lousy in the toss itself...

TRD

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Elk toss? WTF!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
check out the links...

TRD

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Man whats thta guy going to do to that rolled up bit of carpet in the 3rd pic down...

TRD

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
GIBBS!! and you dress like this?????

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
GIBBS!! and you dress like this?????

Hey, I'm wearing that right now!

Nah, I felt out of place in jeans and jacket last year...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
An update

Greetings,

As the cold winds begin to blow and snow makes its first appearance of the season, we at the DGS are excitedly thinking about all the upcoming winter traditions. More important than all the holidays (except possibly Groundhog Day), we're thinking about the Elk Toss and how soon it will be here--just over 10 weeks from now if you really have to know.

February 26 is the date, and Danville is the place. We'll be visiting many of the places we've been to before, and some new ones as well. The day will start early at Pappas Restaurant for breakfast. After that, we'll head to the Salvation Army, and then to Jerseytown for the Elk Bugling Competition and Burger Eating Colloquium. Then we'll head to Ken Kremser's farm near Riverside for the competitions, which include Sled Dog Race, Scrap Iron Toss, Salad Toss, Clog Toss, and especially the Elk Toss. there's a good chance that we'll revive some competitions that haven't occurred in years. All of the competitions will be completed before the sun sets, and then we'll have the Annual Charity Auction. This year, the auction will benefit the Thomas Beaver Free Library (Note: the library's name does not mean that there are no beavers in the library). After the auction, we'll all head to downtown Danville to eat, drink, and be merry. A more-detailed, but preliminary, schedule of the day's events can be found at www.geocities.com...

We hope you all can make it to the Elk Toss, but there are a few things that you have to remember if you plan to attend:

* The Elk Toss and Auction is a charity event, so make sure you bring some cash. For the event to succeed, you all need to participate in events and the auction.

* You can bring anything you want to the auction, but try to bring items that someone else might actually want.

* Tossing an elk is a dangerous procedure, with the antlers and hooves and teeth and other pointy appendages. Make sure you practice by tossing smaller animals, such as deer or baby moose.

* We will be collecting cans again for the Danville-Riverside Food Bank. If you bring the most cans, you'll get the special prize of free beer for the day courtesy of the DGS.

If you haven't already responded to say you'll be there, please do so. It makes us feel good when people send us emails.

See you in February.

The DGS

www.geocities.com...

[Edited on 12/15/2004 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Once again, an update -

Guten Tag,

For anyone who has ever had the wonderful experience of tossing an elk, you know the unmistakable, unforgettable, musky odor that emanates from an elk. Although there are obviously no elk near the official DGS computer where this email is being typed, there seems to be a faint elky scent wafting through the air. Maybe it is just phantom odors from memories of previous Elk Tosses, but it more likely appears to be the scent of anticipation, which peculiarly smells a lot like elk. Yes, the 2005 Danville German Society Elk Toss, Winter Festival, and Charity Auction are nearly upon us.

It is only a month away, which means it is time to intensify your training regimen. We’re hoping that this year someone will be able to challenge the legendary Elk Toss Champion Franz Klingermann.

(more info on Franz: www.geocities.com...)

While you are taking a break from your training, there are a few other things you can do to prepare yourself for February 26.

* Check out the 2005 Elk Toss website, (www.geocities.com...), and look at the preliminary schedule so you know what to expect. Don’t pay too much attention to the times, which will be sure to change between now and then. While you are on the website, go to the DGS homepage and sign our guestbook.

* Start collecting auction items for the Charity Auction. Be sure to bring stuff that other people would actually want to bid on.

* Gather cans and other non-perishable foods to donate to the Danville-Riverside Food Bank. There will be a prize for the person who brings the most food to donate.

* Think about booking a room at the Pine Barn Inn for that night, since the beer flows like wine in Danville and we don’t want and drinking and driving.

Please note that like some previous years, there will be a winter music festival that night at the Pine Barn Inn in Danville (another reason to get a room there). There will be several DGS members performing, including Van Wagner and the band Slimfit.

This year, the money raised will be going to the Thomas Beaver Free Library. Additional money will help with the Sidler Hill Cemetery revitalization project, which involves improving access to a neglected cemetery near Danville with tombstones dating in the 1800s.

The DGS will most likely be providing beer (for a small donation) at the events held at the Kremser Farm. Please reply to this email to let us know if you’ll be there, and if you like beer. We want to have enough beer. Nobody should go thirsty in Danville.

Auf Lederhosen,

the DGS

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Final Elk Toss Update

The first and probably most important thing to know is the schedule, which can be found at www.geocities.com... or can be found right here if laziness prevents you from clicking on the link:

8:00 am Pappas Restaurant for Annual ScrappleFest
9:30 am Salvation Army Shopping Trip
11:15 am Ceremony at Jerseytown Schoolhouse for the
Anniversary of the First Elk Toss
11:30 am Second Annual Elk Bugling Competition
12:00 pm Jerseytown Tavern in Jerseytown
(570-437-2251) - Jerseytown Burger Eat-Off
2:00 pm Competitions at Ken Kremser's Farm
(Scrap Iron Toss, Salad Toss, Ice Roping, Sled-Dog Race, etc.)
3:30 pm Charity Auction - Part I (Please Bring Stuff to Donate to the Auction!)
4:00 pm ELK TOSS
5:00 pm Annual meeting and officers reports
5:30 pm Charity Auction Part II (Please Bring Stuff to Donate to the Auction!)
7:00 pm Concert at the American Legion featuring music by Slimfit and Van Wagner, and magic by Fred Iobst
10:00 pm Tour of Danville
Late Cheese Cosmos at Danville Sub Shop

The second important thing to know is what to bring with you:

1- yourself and friends
2- money for the events and auction
3- items to auction
4- non-perishable food to donate to the Danville-Riverside Food Bank
5- a knowledge of French existentialist literature of the mid 20th century

The third and final important thing to know is this: if you expect to be drinking, you should plan to have a place to sleep within walking distance of downtown Danville. Nobody should be drinking and driving, especially since the Pine Barn Inn is so close. Book a room there if you have not already (www.pinebarninn.com).

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Just thought I'd pass on an update to ya'll. Due to family medical situations, I was not able to participate. Which was proabably a good thing, I did horrible last year

Guten Tag,

We apologize for waiting so long to send out an email after the highly successful 2005 Danville German Society Elk Toss, Winter Festival, and Charity Auction. The day's events raised $1000 for the Thomas Beaver Free Library in Danville and $350 for the Sidler Hill Cemetery Revitilization Project. That's over twice the amount that we've raised in previous years. We also collected about two grocery carts full of food that was donated to the Danville-Riverside Food Bank, also a record.

We have to thank a few people that helped to make the day possible:

Ken Kremser - for letting us hold the Elk Toss, Auction, and other events at his farm.

American Legion Post 40 - for opening their doors to the public and providing a great venue for our nighttime fun.

Slimfit - for making the journey to Danville and for having an impromptu CD release party at the Legion.

The Oberdorfs - for all their help and support that they provide during the day and throughout the year.

Franz Klingermann - just for being Franz.

And we would like to thank everyone who attended and helped out the charities, especially those who traveled far to attend. There were people from Lancaster, State College, Philadelphia, Reading, Delaware, New Jersey, and probably other places that we can't think of right now.

There are a few other people that we would like to not thank:

Rick Victor and John Coxworthy.

If you want to read more about the day, including results and photos, see

www.geocities.com...

If you want to read the article about the day that was in the Danville News, see

www.geocities.com...

We hope you all had a good time. We surely did.

We'll see everyone next year, and hopefully sooner.

Thanks again,

The DGS

posted on Dec, 20 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Fo those of you who have been anxiously awaiting the announcement, I apologize, I've had notice of next year's event for well over a month now. The date will be Saturday, Frebruary 25th. I will post more info in a new thread when details make themselves known...

new topics

top topics

join