It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Others: wiffle ball bat factory closes.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
the company that makes wiffle ball bats and plastic footballs has closed down, bad news for kids of all ages

Hedstrom Corporation closing in Ashland
By Joel Moroney
News Journal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASHLAND — The battered Ashland economy suffered a body blow Wednesday when Hedstrom Corporation abruptly announced it was closing its doors.

“We are going to offer whatever support and services we can to the employees,” said Martin Irvine, Ashland’s economic development director on Thursday afternoon.

“A representative from the governor’s office and local officials will meet with the management team tomorrow morning and see if we can organize some sort of management buyout, or do whatever’s possible to retain some jobs, if that’s even possible.”

Irvine said the closing affects about 70 full-time employees. About 150 employees voted on the most recent labor contract in 2001 and a retired employee said the company at one time employed more than 350 employees.

The company makes blow mold whiffle ball bats, plastic footballs and kick balls and balloons.

“They’d been downsizing over the last couple years. I don’t know if they were caught off guard but the call yesterday afternoon was very sudden and abrupt,” Irvine said.
Irvine said the company intends to file for bankruptcy by the end of the week.

The Ashland area has lost more than 1,500 jobs in recent years, with the closings of Landoll, Timken, Bosch Braking Systems, Caraustar Co., Merillat Industries and a recently announced consolidation of Hydromatic Pump.

For more on this story pick up a copy of Friday’s News Journal or check back at www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
They were the only company that made them?

That really sucks, if so!

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
actually this is pretty sweet because i have several "vintage, never used, gem mint" wiffle ball bats that i will be puting up for auction soon. i'll take sealed bids with a reserve price of $100.

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Let me know how that works for ya...

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
There can't just be one!

new topics

top topics

join