It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garden Of Eden

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
For years, I was taught the garden of eden was true. Now I wonder. Was the garden of eden truly a place or just a nice little story with a moral and why our lives suck so badly?

People throughout history have talked about some paradise lost, and this is an interesting one.

What do you guys think?

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well the bible described Eden as being in between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers. Bagdad lies in between those rivers. Doesn't sound like Eden to me.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Well the bible described Eden as being in between the Euphrates and Tigris rivers. Bagdad lies in between those rivers. Doesn't sound like Eden to me.

lol, no it doesnt quite fit my description of Eden either. Perhaps if you added coniferous trees, grass, and plentiful game to hunt it would come closer.

As for our lives sucking, I'd say its a combination of things. Taxes, arseholes, politicians, stress, and most of the things that makeup everyday life create Teh Suk we all hav experienced at one time or another.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BradPimp
For years, I was taught the garden of eden was true. Now I wonder. Was the garden of eden truly a place or just a nice little story with a moral and why our lives suck so badly?

People throughout history have talked about some paradise lost, and this is an interesting one.

What do you guys think?

Its a nice little story. Eden - perfection personified. It never existed, and never will.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

very good point you brought up. IMHO, all of the continets use to be together, I not sure what it was called(i'll get back to you on that.) this would explain why some continets look like the could fit together like a puzzle. I think that something like a major volcano eruption, of the flood perhaps caused the break up in to all the ones we have today. maybe thats what split up the rivers. anyways, just my theroy.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:27 PM
link   
it was called pangea. heres a link to back me up:

volcano.und.nodak.edu...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:32 PM
link   
You have to be careful with the placement of the garden of Eden.

Yes it was between the Tigris and the Euphrates, but those rivers are not the same Tigris and Euphrates mentioned in the Garden of eden part of the bible.

What do I mean?

After the Garden of Eden, there was the great flood, with Noah etal in the boat. After the waters receded and people started to settle the landthen those rivers were named, with the names they remembered from their home pre flood.

Just like where I live we have an "Avon" river, its not the original Avon river in England, we also have a Thames Esturary, not the original at all, not to mention a city called Cambridge, on and on, ...

So the rivers called the Tigris and the Euphrates in the Garden of Eden are different from the rivers today called the Tigris and Euphrates.

And following that through to its logical conclusion, the actual site of Eden could be ANYWHERE on the earth, that would fit the criteria back then. Not in the Iraq region at all.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
A lot of stories are mythical.

That does not mean they are lies or untruths.

The facts may be different than presented but the ideals may be relevant.

since our understanding of world history is not perfect,

eg. what happened to dinosaurs?
where is the human missing link?
when was last ice age and what happened?
and on and on...

then we cannot discount any enduring story.

a myth that exists against the test of time has some merit to it and possibly some validity too.

yes there was a garden of eden of some sort.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
the garden of eden....ah yes...

between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers...you may wonder why its all desert there in Iraq...but the rich oil supplies suggest it was once a very, very verdent place..possibly the most verdant place on planet earth....(hence the oil)

that a place of such tranquility, beauty and peace and paradise on earth could be the source of war in the world today....terrible..it was Eden....i can see it in the mirror

ah dear...i dont know...

the garden was also "a state of mind" between two lovers, you know...the meeting of heaven and earth..the material and the physical came together in the form of two lovers...Gods intention.

ah well.....whatever......

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:14 PM
link   

between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers...you may wonder why its all desert there in Iraq...but the rich oil supplies suggest it was once a very, very verdent place..possibly the most verdant place on planet earth....(hence the oil)

I may be off base here, but is oil also from animals too?

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   
not all lovers either

no..these two were sent by God. Its exciting...the world has kind of been waiting for this..

it needs it. No-one can dispute the world is in need of saving............. and Love, in the form of two lovers, made from God, have come amongst you to do just that...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   

not all lovers either

no..these two were sent by God. Its exciting...the world has kind of been waiting for this..

it needs it. No-one can dispute the world is in need of saving............. and Love, in the form of two lovers, made from God, have come amongst you to do just that...

I am completely lost by what you said. Will you please reiterate what you mean?

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I don't believe in the bible literally. The whole world would have been a nice garden at one time or another however. We're surrounded by worlds on other dimensions and many of them are paradises.

This world sucks because it is supposed to suck. It's a training school for souls who come here to experience struggle and stress.imo

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aztec
I don't believe in the bible literally. The whole world would have been a nice garden at one time or another however. We're surrounded by worlds on other dimensions and many of them are paradises.

This world sucks because it is supposed to suck. It's a training school for souls who come here to experience struggle and stress.imo

Crap! I missed the add/drop date then for this class

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
If (and I stress "if") we can look at the story as being based in truth, and the Garden of Eden lies between the Tigris and Euphrates where Baghdad now sits, that would place the story during an Ice Age.

mystra said:

This coherent part of Mystra's posting is true, as it does explain the oil in the region. (No offense, but you lost me on some of the references.)

I don't know that I'd say that it is because a Garden of Eden was created by a supreme being however. We know that this entire region, the deserts of the Middle East, was covered in lush vegetation during the last ice age. It would have been a landscape that matched the Biblical setting of the Garden Eden.

I believe that the story of the Garden of Eden is much like the story of Noah's Flood however.

It is an echo of sorts of something partly remembered -- a legend passed from generation to generation as a way of preserving some knowledge of what the world was like in what we would term as prehistoric times. We don't have all the details though -- they've been lost to antiquity.

Now we have to wonder if the Garden actually existed, just as we debate whether Noah's flood was real, or if Atlantis really existed. All of these stories, if some divine intervention is used as a rationale for the events, can be viewed as being simply tales of morality.

The flood story comes up in many unrelated cultures around the world, and is one reason so many people point to a previous civilization that was apparently lost in a cataclysm. The loss of Atlantis, for example is another example.

This flooding from the end of the last Ice Age could have been the reasoning behind all of these stories. The loss of the Garden to our searches isn't because we're looking in the wrong area -- we don't have the same climate to look at anymore.

I've explained how that catastrophic flooding is possible in other threads, I think.

So to answer your question, I believe the Garden itself (or at least some similar place) actually existed, but beyond that, I'd say it's been used as a morality tale.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The garden of Eden is synonymous. Just like the tree of knowledge and the tree of live.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Trees are also synonymous as I already said:

5 trees in paradise
For there are five trees in Paradise for you; they do not change, summer or winter, and their leaves do not fall. Whoever knows them will not taste death."

tree mountain Sinai
On the far right peak, there are two extremely large boulders with a solitary tree growing between them.

But there is a reference in a book written about 650 AD, which speaks of a tree on Sinai - and the book from which this is taken, was written by a man who lived and knew western Saudi Arabia. This book is the Koran. The speaker in this passage is supposed to be God, or Allah, who refers to himself in the plural as He states:

"We produced for you...a tree issuing from the Mount of Sinai that bears oil and seasoning..." (`The Koran", translated by Arthur J. Arberry, Chapter (Sura) "The Believers", para. 20.)

The trees of which are spoken are far more then just a myth, the true meaning behind it contains a lot of knowledge.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Also look at this for example:

Site

(�enlightenment�) is remembered as the Tree of the Wisdom of Life of numerous traditions. E.A. is typified as both the pupil in the eye, with wings and a tail, and as the wisdom-bearing serpent who dwelled within the Tree.

The wisdom-bearing serpent dwelled within the tree.

The Garden of Eden is just synonymous to something else, goodluck finding it you guys

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
You have to be careful with the placement of the garden of Eden.

Yes it was between the Tigris and the Euphrates, but those rivers are not the same Tigris and Euphrates mentioned in the Garden of eden part of the bible.

What do I mean?

After the Garden of Eden, there was the great flood, with Noah etal in the boat. After the waters receded and people started to settle the landthen those rivers were named, with the names they remembered from their home pre flood.

Just like where I live we have an "Avon" river, its not the original Avon river in England, we also have a Thames Esturary, not the original at all, not to mention a city called Cambridge, on and on, ...

So the rivers called the Tigris and the Euphrates in the Garden of Eden are different from the rivers today called the Tigris and Euphrates.

And following that through to its logical conclusion, the actual site of Eden could be ANYWHERE on the earth, that would fit the criteria back then. Not in the Iraq region at all.

Netty, I would have to agree with you 200%!! I stronly feel it is somewhere else where no one has look! But when you have secret societies who's only reason for being is to hide that location, it becomes a quagmire of disinformation.........................

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

Netchicken,

Those are baseless claims, unless you have evidence that this happened.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join