It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Andrew Murray to have a storming 2005

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Andrew Murray was never likely to be satisfied with the US Open junior title he claimed at Flushing Meadows this year. The precocious Dunblane 17-year-old is intent on gatecrashing the senior circuit during 2005. And as he prepares to bid farewell to the juniors, Murray sees no reason why his meteoric rise up the ranks should not continue.

"I hate losing," says Murray. "I don't play any tournaments to come second best.

"So I think for me when I go into every tournament I want to win every single match. I believe that I can go right to the top. So I'm really motivated to go and do it."

Lawn Tennis Association chiefs have long had Murray down as their best bet for a future star. The son of Scottish national coach Judy, Murray ignored more traditional north of the border pursuits and had picked up a racket by the age of three.

"My mum was a good player and we've got one senior guy (Alan Mackin) who's around 220 in the world. Apart from him, there's not really anybody who's been any good.

"I think without my mum, Scottish tennis would still be as bad as it was before," Murray admitted.

At the age of 12 he was becoming only one of two British players ever to win a singles title at the prestigious Orange Bowl Championships in Florida. Numerous national titles followed and in 2002, at the age of 15, he was junior Wimbledon's youngest competitor. Last year Murray reached the last eight at Flushing Meadows and hinted at what might lie ahead by winning a senior Futures tournament in Glasgow. Murray ended his brilliant year by being named in the Great Britain Davis Cup squad for their match in Austria.

But it says all you need to know about the attitude of Britain's next top tennis hope that he reacted to his selection with disappointment that he did not play. Murray, as leader of a bright group of prospects which also includes this year's junior Wimbledon finalist Miles Kasiri, will get plenty more chances in the future.

Sportinglife

new topics

join