It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Guy Forget quits Fed Cup role

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Guy Forget has announced that he will not coach France in the 2005 Fed Cup.

Forty-year-old Forget, who was outspoken in his condemnation of Amelie Mauresmo when she withdrew from the Fed Cup semi-final against Spain in November, insists that his decision is due to a clash in the calendar with the Davis Cup.

"I raised this problem with the girls on the telephone but also at l'Alpe-d'Huez, recently, where they were training," Forget, who also leads the Davis Cup side, told L'Equipe.

"There is a chance that I could come back in the future. Nevertheless, if the results are good there will be not any reason to come back.

"Without this calendar problem between the Davis Cup and the Fed Cup, I would have continued for at least another year with the girls."

Sportinglife

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I think this is because Marion Bartoli & Emilie Loit were lost to Nastya (Anastasia Myskina) & Vera Zvonareva in the doubles match at the final (France VS Russia) of FED Cup 2004.

So, I think they should leave the team for this reason.

TRD, what do you think?

TRD

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Are we talking about Forget leaving or you think the girls should quit?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Are we talking about Forget leaving or you think the girls should quit?

TRD, my means are I know why Guy Forget was resigned the leader of France FED Cup team because they have defend their title was failed. I think this is Marion Bartoli & Emilie Loit's fault.

[Edited on 1/3/2005 by PierceCheng]

TRD

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ah i see..

The problem is that there is always going to be a loser.

If Forget saw it as a failure and he couldn't offer no more to them or the girls played well below their best, then yeah you could say it was their fault. Coaches expect the best from their players and if they fail to perform or toe the line then they must think is it worth carrying on. So what can you do? Do what he did and quit or not pick them?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Thats a very difficult decision; one which I think all coaches must face from time to time.
I guess it comes down to self-belief, if you believe you have something to offer players, then I think you should carry on regardless of players performance/attitudes.

But then, if you believe in players who cant quite cut it, then I guess your capability must come into question.

Hopefully, this will not be the end of the matter..

top topics

join