It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: KUZNETSOVA CLINCHES INDONESIA WIN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Just eight days after winning her first Grand Slam title, Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia claimed another singles crown.

Ranked sixth in the world, Kuznetsova extended her winning streak to 11 matches with a 6-1 6-4 triumph over Marlene Weingartner of Germany in the final of the Wismilak International tennis tournament.

The 19-year-old Kuznetsova, who also won here in 2002, jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first set, thwarting several break-point opportunities for Weingartner.

"The key was to just stay in the match," Kuznetsova said. "I didn't play my best, definitely. I played well in the first set, but Marlene couldn't find anything to play against me."

In the second set, Weingartner opened up a 3-2 lead before Kuznetsova rallied to claim her second straight title and 35,000 US dollars in prize money.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Kuznetsova continues streak
25 September 2004

Svetlana Kuznetsova has defeated compatriot Maria Sharapova to extend her winning streak to 13 matches and reach the China Open final.

Kuznetsova beat Sharapova 6-2 6-2 to advance to her third final in as many tournaments, where she will meet Serena Williams.

Top seed Williams had no trouble getting past Russian Vera Zvonareva 6-2 6-3 in her semi-final.

It is only the second time the two have met, with Williams winning their last encounter, in Rome in May.

"When I had my chances, I used them," Kuznetsova told BBC Sport. "Going in, I expected it to be tight. I was determined not to give her any balls to hit."

Sharapova won the opening two games but was simply overpowered in the remainder of the match.

"She was hitting freely," said Sharapova. "Any part of the court, she had a hard deep shot. When somebody plays with so much confidence, there's not much you can do."

"Even though I won Wimbledon, there's a lot of things I have to work on. I'm only 17 and I have a lot of years ahead of me."

inside sports

join