It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Serena's outfit stirs crowd

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Dressed for a night on the town, Serena Williams was all business in her first match in 4 1/2 weeks.

Williams strode into Arthur Ashe Stadium wearing knee-high black boots, a denim miniskirt, a studded black tank top and dangling earrings. A far cry from the tennis attire of days gone by, to be sure, but then again, Williams' powerful strokes bear little resemblance to the way the women's game used to be played.

Showing little sign of her injury-induced layoff, the two-time U.S. Open champion advanced to the second round with ease, overwhelming Sandra Kleinova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 6-3 Monday night.

Williams might have been dressed for a cocktail party or MTV's Video Music Awards, which she attended last year while skipping the Open shortly after left knee surgery.

Her play Monday was definitely Grand Slam-caliber, though, a step above what fellow major champions Jennifer Capriati, Roger Federer and Carlos Moya showed in shaky victories earlier on Day 1.

"Her outfit? I tried not to look at it," said Kleinova, who wore a navy skirt and white shirt. "It's her style. She always wears something special."

Her play was special, too. Williams, seeded No. 3, finished with a remarkable 35-3 edge in winners and saved the only break point she faced with one of her seven aces. That serve was clocked at 108 mph, and she reached 123 mph with another.

"Her serving was pretty good. If she places it really well, like she did tonight, it's hard to return - even for guys," Kleinova said.

Williams said last week she's at 90 to 95 percent, working her way back since pulling out of a tournament at Carlsbad, Calif., in late July because of soreness in her left knee. Williams also missed the Olympics, deciding not to go only hours before the U.S. tennis team's flight to Greece.

"I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to prepare for this event," she said. "I'm taking it a day at a time. I'm just so excited to be out here again in New York. It's been a while."

After warming up, she had to take off the boots - actually, they ran from the top of her black sneakers to her knees - because U.S. Open officials told Williams last month that she couldn't wear them during a match. Like Tommy Haas' sleeveless muscle shirt two years ago, the boots don't meet the "customary tennis attire" rule, tournament referee Brian Earley and tournament director Jim Curley determined.

Williams always seems to have something up her sleeve when it comes to fashion. She won the 2002 Open wearing what she called a catsuit, a skintight black Lycra outfit that caused a stir.

"It's great that Serena has so much confidence to stand out and do something different. She goes beyond tennis," 1979 and 1981 U.S. Open champion Tracy Austin said. "Tennis needs that. We need the Andre Agassis, the Serena Williams, the Maria Sharapovas, the Andy Roddicks that are willing to stand out and be different."

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
i sweear the stuff she wears on the court is not called for. Somebody has to say something

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
awww i dont see a link for the pic lol,

i seen it in the paper though, she got big powerfull looking thighs

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
hehe, i did a wee search and found this

TRD

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
LOL! I see this in the newspaper today and it said she had a matching Jacket and Boots on when she vcame out but was made to take them off and wear trainers.....

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Its not unusual for women to make a fashion statement in sports. The US womens soccer team were opting for helmets. IMO In tennis wearing such outfits would remove it from being a professional sport.

WTF is up with the wrestling boots? lol

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'll bet the crowd wasn't the only thing to get stirred, if you get my meaning.

Ben

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
i know what you mean, but i just dont get why she gets to wear anything she wants

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
i know what you mean, but i just dont get why she gets to wear anything she wants

That's the way it is in sport today. You're a draw, you write your own rules. It's not about the sport, it's all about ME.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
she knows the money the exposure will bring, i'll bet some designer paid her big bucks to wear that outfit ...she looks like she is ready to give a lap dance

Ben

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
thats what i mean thats the style that doesnt belong on this kindof court

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hey I really dont care what she wears.

She could play in a bikini or even a thong! Hell then I would start watching tennis.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

She could play in a bikini or even a thong! Hell then I would start watching tennis.

What if she was wearing:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
What if she was wearing:

ahhh then what would be the fun in that.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

then i would hope anna kournikova comes out of retirement outand the new girl sharopva (copies the style) lol :cool2:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82

then i would hope anna kournikova comes out of retirement outand the new girl sharopva (copies the style) lol :cool2:

Yeah, Anna vs. sharapova in thongs...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
i think she looks gr8
: as a gal myself she shud b able 2 wear wat she wants, look @ football they all wear different colour strips dont they
she is only being herself and wants to impress as i admit all girls do is their a problem with that??

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Thongs is definatly gotta be thought about by the tennis board

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
football can wear strips and stuff, but you dont see a ugly but bouncing around. She should get some length to that at least.

TRD

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thongs now thats an idea lol!!

I think the women look quite sexy in the little skirts and skimpy shorts but Serena pushed it a bit far with the denim look.

new topics

top topics

join