It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Hewitt wins tuneup

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Lleyton Hewitt tuned up for the U.S. Open by defeating Luis Horna of Peru 6-3, 6-1 on Sunday in the TD Waterhouse Cup final for his second straight ATP title.

Hewitt, seeded second and playing as a wild card, won 20 of 22 first-serve points. Horna, seeded ninth and seeking his first ATP title, committed 32 unforced errors.

Hewitt, the 2001 U.S. Open champion, closed the match with his 12th ace.

"My game has come together well, and I'm ready for the Open," Hewitt said. "I know what it takes since I already won it. It's going to be incredible. Seven five-set matches. I am anxious to get going.

The Australian has won 10 consecutive matches and 15 of the last 16. Sunday's victory gave him four titles this year -- last week in Washington, with the others in Sydney and Rotterdam.

"Usually I take off the week before the U.S Open," Hewitt said. "But since I didn't have a tough week in Washington, I gladly accepted the wild card."

The U.S. Open, the year's last major, begins Monday. Hewitt, seeded fourth, will face Wayne Ferreira in the first round. Ferreira, a 34-year-old South African who turned pro in 1989, is retiring.

"That makes the match even tougher," Hewitt said. " Wayne certainly doesn't want to end his career that early."

new topics

join