It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Sharapova wins on return

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Maria Sharapova made a victorious return in her first match since winning Wimbledon, beating Lilia Osterloh in San Diego. The Russian, seeded sixth, came through 6-3 6-3 and goes on to face Mary Pierce or Gisela Dulko.

"I think I did well for not playing for a while and coming off such a big win," said Sharapova.

Top seed Serena Williams edged through 6-7 (3-7) 6-3 6-2 against Jelena Jankovic of Serbia and Montenegro.

The number one seed overcame poor form and a blister.
link

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
good for her, I hope she makes a run at the williams sisters.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
She's better than Kournikova already. She seems to be more steak and less sizzle so to speak.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
She can sizzle me all that she wants!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Williams sisters are done, man. I believe that if Sharapova can pull off the US Open, she will be the next dominant force in women's tennis. Serena and Venus are still talented, but seem to be teeming with injuries. Time for them to peddle product or open a store or something.

Just my opinion....

Ben

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I agree with you that the Williams are done. There injuries are a huge factor and face it that these youngsters coming into the game now like Sharapova are too much for them

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm hoping that there is no dominate force, but rather a fairly even playing field. It's more enjoyable when it's anyone's game...

Ben

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
yea i think that is why a lot of poeple hated the williams because they justed used power all the time. They had hords of uneforced erros but also winners. And this overwhelmed players and thus william sisters won. Now time ahs changed, its more even i think.

new topics

top topics

join