Tennis: Wimbledon...Mens 2003

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
TRD

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The British number one eased into the fourth round and the second week for the eighth successive year by dispatching Swedish teenager Robin Soderling with the minimum of fuss and the maximum of efficiency in just one hour and 34 minutes.

It was quite literally men against boys as 28-year-old Henman lost just eight games to run out a 6-3 6-1 6-4 winner in a match which allowed him to conserve energy for the sterner challenges ahead.

Agassi

Andre Agassi kept alive his hopes of a second Wimbledon title with a hard-fought victory over Younes El Aynaoui.

Agassi was pushed all the way by Moroccan El Aynaoui before eventually securing a 5-7 6-4 7-6 7-6 victory on Centre Court.

The second seed will now face big-serving Australian Mark Philippoussis in the last 16 on Monday as he bids for his ninth Grand Slam title.

TRD

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The French Open champion is looking to become the first person since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to complete the double of winning at both Roland Garros and in SW19 in the same year.

He remained on course to do so with a four-set win over Sargis Sargsian on Saturday evening.

Despite a hiccup in the third set, Ferrero triumphed 6-4 6-4 2-6 6-4 and will now face Queen's Club runner-up Sebastien Grosjean in the last 16 on Monday.

TRD

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Andre Agassi was sent crashing out of Wimbledon 2003 on Monday in the face of a barrage of aces from big-serving Mark Philippoussis.

The Australian, nicknamed 'Scud' produced a stunning performance to win a five-set thriller on Court One.

He slammed down 46 aces as he edged into the last eight with a 6-3 2-6 6-7 6-3 6-4 victory.

Andy Roddick - currently favourite to lift the men's title - dropped his first set of the tournament but still had too much for Paradorn Srichaphan.

The Thai star managed to level the match after dropping the first set.

He also had chances to go a break up in the third, but once Roddick had saved them, the American eased to a 6-4 3-6 6-3 6-2 victory.

TRD

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
In a tea-time special, which displaced the Six O'Clock news on BBC1, delayed Eastenders and prompted more euphoric scenes on Wimbledon's famous Hill, Henman edged through to his seventh quarter-final in eight years with a 6-2 6-7 6-4 6-3 victory against Argentina's David Nalbandian which was yet another late-night thriller in the extraordinary rollercoaster career of the British number one.

TRD

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Roger Federer's Wimbledon title hopes have been threatened by injury after the fourth seed had to fight through the pain barrier to reach the quarter-finals today.

Federer sustained a back injury in the warm-up before his 7-6 6-4 6-4 win over unseeded Spaniard Feliciano Lopez and admitted: "I was always under a lot of pain and I don't know how I won today."

TRD

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well due to the typical british weather it rained today so their wasnt much play but henman and phillapoussis were losing...

TRD

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well i picked the 2 finalist in my eight to watch.......

Federer

Roger Federer proved emphatically he has got the bottle for the big occasion today by routing Andy Roddick to reach his first Grand Slam final.

Ever since he ended Pete Sampras' 31-match Wimbledon winning streak two years ago the Swiss 21-year-old has been earmarked as a star of the future - but had never gone beyond the last eight.

Today Federer finally shattered the doubts for good with a simply magnificent 7-6 6-3 6-3 win over the tournament favourite.

Right from the start Federer leapt aggressively upon the Roddick serve and flung back passing shots which left the American flat-footed.

Federer gave his opponent few glimmers of hope on his own serve and one hour and 43 minutes later Roddick - also still searching for his first Grand Slam final place - had been pummelled into submission.

TRD

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Mark Philippoussis produced some inspired tennis to meet his date with destiny.

The big-serving Australian blew aside the challenge of Sebastien Grosjean to end four years of injury torment and reach his first Wimbledon final.

Unseeded Philippoussis, who had to toil through five sets in each of his two previous matches, blasted the Frenchman off court in under two hours with a 7-6 6-3 6-3 victory and will now meet fourth seed Roger Federer in Sunday's final.

As he turned to acclaim his Greek-born father and newly re-appointed coach Nick, the 26-year-old Philippoussis' mind flashed back two years to the time he was confined to a wheelchair following career-threatening knee surgery.

"After the third operation, I pretty much told myself never to look too far ahead," he said. "I've just taken it a day at a time since then.

"I've been through a lot. But everything in life happens for a reason. I've always said that. So everything's been worthwhile."

Philippoussis almost paid the price for a slow start in his quarter-final win over Alexander Popp but he was quickly out of the blocks on Friday as he raced to his first Grand Slam final since he was runner-up to Pat Rafter in the US Open final in 1998.

He was virtually untouchable on his own serve and, although he came up with just 11 aces to add to the 153 from his previous five matches, he allowed his opponent just two break points and averted the danger each time with booming serves.

TRD

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Roger Federer shattered the Mark Philippoussis Wimbledon fairytale and began a story of his own which might one day end in greatness.

The Swiss 21-year-old finally started to fulfil his enormous potential by taking just one hour and 56 minutes to claim his first Grand Slam title 7-6 6-2 7-6.

A netted Philippoussis backhand completed Federer's 7-3 breeze through the final tie-break and he celebrated his historic moment by sinking to his knees and returning to his chair in tears.

Federer did not have to save a single break point on his own serve en route to becoming the first man in seven years to go through the entire tournament for the loss of just one set.

The Swiss star - who defeated Pete Sampras in Wimbledon's fourth round two years ago but was knocked out in the first round 12 months ago - out-aced his big-serving opponent who was bidding to win the title just two years after being left in a wheelchair by three knee operations.

Ben

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Congrats to Roger he won this tournament and at times he looked like he did it with ease. I wanted Roddick to go into the finals but that didn't happen and i give props to Roger. He is something to watch though.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join