Tennis: Wimbledon...Mens 2003

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Well it will be starting soon so who do you think will win it??

Lleyton Hewitt....There is a big doubt hanging over Hewitts head,has he still got it? He was rocked by his coach Jason Stoltenberg quitting recently so will he be up for the big one.??

Andre Agassi....Agassi might be the veteren now but he has got the most respect,he is supremely fit and talented and has won nearly everything over the years...

Roger Federer...The clown Prince who wants to be King,The swiss master is credited with being the closes you can get to Pete Sampras,The only problem is that the no4 seed has always failed in the grand slams...

Andy Roddick....The American Hotshot must be viewed as a serious threat to the title,He beat Agassi and Rusedski on the way to the Queens title,He is the no5 seed and he has one the best serves in the game right now..

Mark Phillippoussis...Everyone should be wary of unseeded players,look at Goran the other Year...But the Aussie has to be most dangerous as the Wimbledon Grass is suitable for the big hitter..He would have won a grand slam title by now if he wasnt injured so much..

Martin Verkerk....The Dutch giant took the tennis scene by storm by getting to the final of the French open,he may be a rookie but he has shown he has the right stuff...Watch out for his serve..

Tim Henman...Has done well at wimbledon over the past few years,but doesnt seem to have improved a great deal,Known as the nearly man injurys and the lack of real world class about him will find it hard to win the title..

Greg Rusedski....Greg does suprise a lot of people and won his 13th title last week,He has a awesome serve and holds the record with Andy Roddick at 149mph,he has recovered well from injury and is playing really good tennis...A possible dark horse..

The Fastest Serves Of All Time

1...Greg Rusedski.....149mph Indiana Wells 1998.

2...Andy Roddick.....149mph Stella Artois 2003

3...Andy Roddick.....148mph Stella Artois 2003

4...Andy Roddick.....147mph Stella Artois 2003

5...Andy Roddick.....147mph Indianna Wells 2003

6...Andy Roddick.....144mph Wimbledon 2002

7...T Dent.......144mph Wimbledon 2001

8...M.Phillippoussis.....142mph Dusseldorf 1997

Ben

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I am not saying that Andy is going to win Wimmbledon..but he has a real good shot..he recently hired a new coach. Andre's old caoch Brad Gilbret..and they have been getting a long great. I would look for Andy to make a very strong apperance. Look at all the help Brad did for Andre..now its Andy turn. Maybe just Maybe.

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Roddick has all the right credentials to win and the grass court will suit his game,He would be my choice but i just have a sneaky feeling that Hewitt will regain his form and win....

Ben

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hewitt..is always a contender..especailly since he proved last year that a baseliner is able to win Wimbledon. This could give new found confidence to Jaun Carlos Ferrero. He just came off the biggest victory of his career..and this could be the confidence bosster that he needs. Hewitt a baseliner won it last year, and Ferrero has more powerful strokes than Hewitt.

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well Ferrero has proved himself as the world's leading claycourter with victory in the recent French Open...But that may well have taken its toll on a player who has not really had that much success on grass... However, as the baseliners have done well in recent years he may have a slight chance.... Also he wont get the time to wind up his booming forehand....

Ben

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Thats true about Ferrero. But we still have to give the serve and vollyers a chance. I mean it is still a vollerys court. Timmy should do well...like every year. Dent should do well with his serves and nice volleys.

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think you are talking about Taylor Dent well thats one tennis player i dont know much about...

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Greg Rusedski was given a taste of his own medicine before finally taking the opening set of his first round clash at Wimbledon.

Rusedski dropped just three points on his serve during the set on Court One, but Alexander Waske was equally dominant on his own delivery.

The German dropped just four points, three of them double faults, and it was a relief when the tie-break arrived to settle the outcome of the set.

Rusedski saved one set point with a superb backhand volley before the crowd finally came to life, giving Waske a slow hand clap as he took his time changing ends at six all.

The British number two then thumped down two more massive serves and took advantage of his first set point, a backhand winner giving him the set 8-6.

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Qualifier Ivo Karlovic created one of the biggest Wimbledon upsets of all time to defeat defending champion Lleyton Hewitt on Centre Court on Monday.

The 6ft 10ins Croat - ranked 203 in the world - stormed back from a set behind to secure an incredible 1-6 7-6 6-3 6-4 win over the Australian.

Hewitt is the first defending male champion to lose in the first round since Manuel Santana in 1967.

Only three weeks ago Karlovic had been beaten by Briton Alex Bogdanovic in a Challenger tournament in Surbiton.

But once he found his range with his booming serve and sleek volleys he managed to secure a remarkable win.

Well i said earlier on in the thread in the First Post that their was a doubt about if Hewitt still had it......!!!!!

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Greg Rusedski feels he has finally put his injury nightmare behind him after setting up a mouth-watering Wimbledon showdown with Andy Roddick.

Rusedski briefly contemplated quitting the game after operations on his foot and knee kept him out for nine months.

But the British number two eventually made a comeback last month and claimed his 13th career title in Nottingham on Saturday to complete the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.

And the 29-year-old enjoyed the ideal warm-up for Wednesday's clash with championship favourite Roddick by overcoming another big server, Germany's Alexander Waske, in straight sets in the first round on Monday.

TRD

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Tim Henman progressed to the Wimbledon second round on Tuesday afternoon after fending off an ambush by the luckiest man in the tournament.

The British number one eventually beat Tomas Zib of the Czech Republic 6-2 7-6 3-6 6-1 but it was much tougher than most experts predicted.

Zib had never won a Grand Slam match. He had got into the tournament as a lucky loser from the qualifiers. He is ranked 154 in the world, 125 places below Henman.

Yet it did not look that way for huge swathes of a match on Court One, played in sparkling sunshine but in which Henman struggled to produce the form which has seen him contest four Wimbledon semi-finals......

TRD

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Andre Agassi saw off a spirited challenge by British number seven Jamie Delgado to get his campaign for a second Wimbledon title up and running on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old world number one was given a useful workout before triumphing 6-4 6-0 5-7 6-4 against a man he had beaten in straight sets in the second round two years ago.

Since then Delgado has slumped to his current 456 in the world and enjoyed no main tour wins.

But the 26-year-old from Maidenhead performed way above expectations and broke his illustrious opponent twice on his way to winning the third set.

Unfortunately for Delgado, Agassi was made of much sterner stuff than Lleyton Hewitt, who crashed to Ivo Karlovic on the same Centre Court yesterday.....

TRD

posted on Jun, 24 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Greg Rusedski feels he and Andy Roddick could spur each other on to break the 150mph barrier at Wimbledon.

Rusedski takes on the fifth seed in the second round on Wednesday in one of the most eagerly anticipated clashes of the championships.

The pair already share the world record for the fastest serve at 149mph, Rusedski's coming five years ago at Indian Wells and Roddick equalling it a fortnight ago on his way to winning the Stella Artois Championships at Queen's.

Roddick has already hit one serve at 141mph in his first round win over Italy's Davide Sanguinetti, and Rusedski believes hot weather tomorrow could have the Centre Court speed gun working overtime.

"If the weather's hot, if we can get 27 or 28 degrees, it's possible," said Rusedski. "It could maybe happen on Wednesday.

"But he can have the record as long as I continue in the tournament, that would be nice.

TRD

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Todd Martin, who might be referenced as evergreen were it not for his shock of grey hair, thrust past seeded Brazilian Gustavo Kuerten and booked his place in Wimbledon's third round on Wednesday. Martin's hair is all-over grey rather than silver-streaked these days, and his 33rd birthday is coming up on July 8, but the US veteran's grass-court play disguised his advancing years well as he triumphed 7-6 (7/4) 6-4 6-4.

He is here after fighting off a chest injury which, when it was sustained a fortnight ago and forced his withdrawal from Queen's, was expected to keep him out of the game for four weeks.

But Martin is determined to savour the Championships, which will be one of his last, if not the end of his association with the All-England Club.

And 17th seed Kuerten was a victim in waiting.

TRD

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Greg Rusedski crashed out of Wimbledon amid an ugly stream of expletives after one of the most controversial incidents in the tournament's history.

The British number two had lost the first two sets of his match against American Andy Roddick.

But he had broken back in the third and was leading 5-2 when at 15-30 a spectator called a Roddick forehand out.

Rusedski hit the ball back but turned away believing the decision to have been called by a linesman and Roddick planted the winner. to The score was called by umpire Lars Graff as 15-40 and an incensed Rusedski called for the point to be replayed.

His appeal was refused and when he lost his serve he turned and smashed a ball into the back canvas, narrowly missing a lineswoman.

He then returned to his chair at the changeover and launched an Anglo-Saxon volley of abuse at the umpire which prompted commentator Barry Davies to apologise for the content to viewers watching events unfold on BBC2.

``I can't do anything if the crowd ****** calls it,'' fumed Rusedski. ``It's ******* ridiculous. A ****** in the crowd changes the whole match and you allow it to happen. It's absolute ****''.

Rusedski did not win another game as Roddick seized on his loss of concentration to blast his way to a straight sets victory 7-6 7-6 7-5.

posted on Jun, 25 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Greg Rusedski crashed out of Wimbledon amid an ugly stream of expletives after one of the most controversial incidents in the tournament's history.

The British number two had lost the first two sets of his match against American Andy Roddick.

But he had broken back in the third and was leading 5-2 when at 15-30 a spectator called a Roddick forehand out.

Rusedski hit the ball back but turned away believing the decision to have been called by a linesman and Roddick planted the winner. to The score was called by umpire Lars Graff as 15-40 and an incensed Rusedski called for the point to be replayed.

His appeal was refused and when he lost his serve he turned and smashed a ball into the back canvas, narrowly missing a lineswoman.

He then returned to his chair at the changeover and launched an Anglo-Saxon volley of abuse at the umpire which prompted commentator Barry Davies to apologise for the content to viewers watching events unfold on BBC2.

``I can't do anything if the crowd ****** calls it,'' fumed Rusedski. ``It's ******* ridiculous. A ****** in the crowd changes the whole match and you allow it to happen. It's absolute ****''.

Rusedski did not win another game as Roddick seized on his loss of concentration to blast his way to a straight sets victory 7-6 7-6 7-5.

I watched the whole match today and it was unbelievable....wow pure excitement. That whole ordeal was pretty unfair though. While watching it I even thought thtat the linesman called it and I was confused. I am really happy for todd martin too as he is from michigan. He usually goes to like the quarters and loses, but I hope he does better this year.

TRD

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hey Osobad i watched it aswell and i thought the same that the line judge had called it out,the point should have been replayed.I don't think it would have really changed the outcome,but it would have only been fair...

As far as i know Rudeski has been fined £1,500 for his outburst...

Ben

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I watched that match...i thought that it was great...i love the way that Roddick is playing now under his new coahc. Roddick always seemed like he had the weapons but the mental part of his game had to catch up...but now under brad seems like andy cant be beaten.

TRD

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Well i dont know about being unbeatable.The match with Rusedski was 7-6 7-6 7-5,so it was a close match..

He is still learning but he is looking on top form...

TRD

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Andy Roddick will step into the unknown in the second week of Wimbledon - but warned that holds no fears for the tournament favourite.

Roddick moved into the last 16 for the first time at the All England Club with a hard-fought victory over Tommy Robredo.

The fifth seed won 7-6 6-4 6-4 to make it five wins out of five against the highly-rated young Spaniard and is yet to drop a set in the Championships.

Swiss starlet Roger Federer eased into the fourth round at the expense of Mardy Fish late on Friday evening.

In a rain delayed match Federer, seeded four at SW19 this year, showed maturity beyond his years to dispose of his big-serving American opponent.

Federer took the first set 6-3 and looked to be cruising when he cantered to the next 6-1.

To his credit however Fish battled back and edged the third after Federer lost his serve with the scores at 4-4.

The crowd were firmly behind Fish by this stage but Federer remained calm as he played some sublime shots in the fourth to eventually close out 6-3 6-1 4-6 6-1 as the light began to fade.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join