Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Tennis: Rusedski..

page: 1

join
TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Greg Rusedski continued to relish his pressure-free tennis by storming into the third round of the Stella Artois Championships at Queen's Club.

The British number two overcame Moroccan Hicham Arazi 6-4 6-4 to carry on his successful comeback after a nine-month injury absence.

It was the sixth match since he returned to action and he insisted he had come into the tournament with no expectations following his lay-off.

But his game looked strong and consistent and he did not drop his serve once in setting up a third-round meeting with young American Andy Roddick.

Rusedski said: "For me there is no pressure at the moment and every day still feels special because I am back playing again.

Well about time he seems to have got his serve back to its best..He has reverted back to his original way of serving after making slight adjustments and it seems to be working...
A tough 3rd round against Roddick so it will be interesting to see the outcome..

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
doesnt he hold the serving record? 141 mph I thought

TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Osobad i know he used to but i thought Philapousis or someone else may have beaten it but i cant remember...

TRD

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Greg Rusedski staged a superb fightback from the brink of defeat to book his place in the semi-finals of the Samsung Open.

Rusedski recovered from a set down and 5-2 deficit in the decider to beat former Wimbledon semi-finalist Vladimir Voltchkov 4-6 7-6 7-6 in Nottingham.

The British number two struggled to cope with the strong wind but battled back bravely to record his seventh win in 10 matches on his comeback after knee and foot operations kept him out for nine months.

Rusedski won the title here in 1997 when the final was played indoors because of bad weather, and he must have been wishing he had a roof over his head again after losing the opening set.

TRD

posted on Jun, 21 2003 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Greg Rusedski claimed his 13th career title with a straight-sets demolition of American Mardy Fish in the Samsung Open.

Rusedski needed just 54 minutes to defeat the eighth seed 6-3 6-2 in Nottingham and complete the perfect preparations ahead of Wimbledon.

The British number two was in superb form as he overwhelmed his 21-year-old opponent, who looked a shadow of the player who had beaten defending champion Jonas Bjorkman in the semi-finals.

Rusedski claimed the 35,000 first prize which will go a long way to making up for the theft of his wallet and mobile phone from the locker rooms during his semi-final win over Hicham Arazi.

Fish, the eighth seed, held his opening service game but was broken in his second, a double fault gifting Rusedski a 3-1 lead.

The 29-year-old needed no further help from his young opponent and closed out the set with his third ace.

Rusedski was beginning to find his rhythm on serve and another two aces and a love service game saw him stay on level terms in the second set.

Fish could do nothing about it and was his own worst enemy as four unforced errors gave Rusedski the break of serve he needed.

The American's frustrations were obvious and his most powerful shot of the day came when he broke his racket by smashing it into his bag at the change of ends after losing that game to go 3-2 behind.

The 21-year-old also gifted Rusedski another break in the seventh game and the world number 68 fired down his sixth ace as he completed a resounding victory.

top topics

join