It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Tiger Tim can win Wimbledon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 4 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Tim Henman has been told to forget about winning Wimbledon until he improves his game considerably.

That is the view of three-time winner Boris Becker after the British number one's tame quarter-final exit.

Henman's dreams of becoming the first home winner at the All England Club since 1936 died at the hands of France's Sebastien Grosjean on Centre Court.

The 28-year-old lost in four sets in a match played out over two days because of rain, and admitted his chances of fulfilling his life-long ambition of winning Wimbledon were fading.

All four of the semi-finalists are younger than Henman, with 20-year-old Andy Roddick and 21-year-old Roger Federer likely to be around for years to come.

Even Mark Philippoussis, who was told he may never play again after a third operation on his left knee in the space of 14 months left him in a wheelchair for two-and-a-half months, is only 26.

And last year's winner Lleyton Hewitt, 22, is certain to be a strong challenger despite his shock first-round exit last week.

Before this year, Henman had reached the semi-finals four times in five years and he has made it into the second week for eight years in a row.

But he has never been past the fourth round in any other Grand Slam and Becker feels he has to improve his all-round game before he can challenge for a Wimbledon title.

"He shouldn't be thinking about winning Wimbledon, he should think about how to improve as a player," said Becker, who won the title in 1985, 1986 and 1989.

"This was the first time he won four matches in a row since last year's Wimbledon.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 04:05 AM
link   
well I know this is long after the fact but the guy just does n`t have the "balls" to win a major competion. I had the displeasure of watching Tims fourth round match this year and to be honest he sucks big time. He is obviously a fairly accomplished player but when push comes to shove Tim will just fall over.

TRD

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Well i have to agree with you their Cassini...Henman just isnt good enough he has got ability but mentally he just hasnt got it amd when push comes to shove he raises the white flag....

British Tennis hasn't been good for years and i cant see it getting any better unless they do something drastic...

Ben

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have been watching Timmy for a while...i think what would help him out is if he finds the gym...he might now where it is and goes to it...but he needs the big weights. He desperatlly needs to add some muscle.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
its really the fault of the national association they have made millions off the back of tim but failed to use it properly. Theres just not the chances to play the game that there are in other countries

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassini
its really the fault of the national association they have made millions off the back of tim but failed to use it properly. Theres just not the chances to play the game that there are in other countries

ehh i dont really know about that....tim has the chances to improve his ablilities just as much as any other athlete, or even more so because of the national pride that is shoved his way.

TRD

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osobad28

Originally posted by Cassini

ehh i dont really know about that....tim has the chances to improve his ablilities just as much as any other athlete, or even more so because of the national pride that is shoved his way.

Well the thing is that in england we dont have the facilities and people to train future tennis stars like other countries have...As Cassini said they make a fortune from the game and from the few decent players we have and they dont put it back into the sport,most of the training centers rely on local goverment grants and Money from the National Lottery Sports Fund.....

posted on Jul, 15 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
"ehh i dont really know about that....tim has the chances to improve his ablilities just as much as any other athlete, or even more so because of the national pride that is shoved his way."

Sorry let me just re-iterate,

"its really the fault of the national association they have made millions off the back of tim but failed to use it properly. Theres just not the chances to play the game that there are in other countries"

Completely different point old horse. I`m saying that the National Tennis association has failed to capitalize on the success of Tim and we will have no stars after him.

Going back to your point when you are the focus of a nations hopes and dreams it can also work negatively which is what I think has happened in Tims case. Pressure from your parents can be extreme imagine what its like with a nation on your back.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join