Tennis: Becker and Edberg

page: 1

join
TRD

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This Should Be Good

Grass-court legends Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg will play an exhibition match at Queen's Club on finals day at the Stella Artois Championships to celebrate the tournament's 25th year.

The June 15 first-to-eight-games match will be their first encounter since they met in the London event's 1996 final.

"It will be an honour to play Stefan at the 25th anniversary of the Stella Artois Championships," said German Becker.

"Having won the tournament four times, the Queen's Club holds many special memories for me. My career really took off when I won the Stella Artois title in 1985 and then Wimbledon three weeks later as a 17-year-old.

"Stefan and I enjoyed a great rivalry, playing many big matches over the years including my victory in that 1996 final at Queen's. I am planning a similar outcome this time."

Swede Edberg won at Queen's Club in 1991 and reached the final on two other occasions, while Becker was champion there four times.

They contested three consecutive Wimbledon finals between 1988 and 1990 with Edberg winning the 1988 and 1990 titles and Becker triumphing in 1989.

Both have since retired from the professional ranks.

Tournament director Ian Wight said: "Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg have been great ambassadors for tennis, for sport and for the Stella Artois and we were absolutely delighted when they both jumped at the chance 'for one more go at each other' to mark our 25th anniversary."

With all their rivalry over the years this should be a good match i think they will both take it quite seriously!!!

Ben

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
That should be amazing to watch i dont think that they will be going all out like old times. But boy i wish i could be their that would be some fun to watch.

TRD

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think it will be good,they usually have the Stella Artois on T.V BBC1 and BBC2 so i will definatly watch it...It's the warm up before Wimbledon which should be really good this year with so many players playing well,it should be wide open...

Ben

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
they had some pretty good matchs agasnt each other who won the most between the two of them?

TRD

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Do you know what i'm not sure..For once

IF i was to take a guess i would go for Becker...

Ben

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 08:53 AM
link   
yea i would go for Becker also how come McEnroe isnt envolved in this stuff. I got to hit with him last year. He was at the tennis courts i play at, and he was just hitting with anybody and i went up and got to rally with him very cool got some complements from him. Very nice guy
. His son's were their also but i could so take them in a match. lol

TRD

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I got to hit with him last year. He was at the tennis courts i play at, and he was just hitting with anybody and i went up and got to rally with him very cool got some complements from him. Very nice guy
His son's were their also but i could so take them in a match. lol

That was lucky must have been a good moment getting to play a rally with a pro!

Is his son's any good....

Ben

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Yea it was a great experince his sons arnt that good but they are decent i dont expect to see them winning any pros tournaments, unless John tips off the officals or something. Acutally TRD i have hit with a couple of different pro's, i hit with Albert Costa, as he helped me with my backhand a little. I got to hit with Juan Carlos Ferreo, Xaiver Malisse, and Matina Navatorliva. What happened with me getting to hit with these players was at the US. Open these players went to the courts at Central Park the day before the tournament and were hitting with kids and afterward they were hitting with people i got to hope in and gettting about 15 to 20 minutes with each player. They held private lessons afterwards also. Good Stuff.

TRD

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Good job you was their
Bet you was well pleased,Me and playing Tennis don't agree with each other in other word's i'm crap
More of a spectator!

Ben

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I love watching tennis. Watching tennis and football are the two best things alive to me. I love going to the U.S. Open for a whole day and just sit their and watch them, and learn from them. Last year when I went I got to see my favorite players play. Andy Roddick and I got to see Guga and Safin go at it. Do you go to any live tournaments TRD?

TRD

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yes been to wimbledon
and a few minor ones...My mum is a tennis nut so she made me watch it all the time when i was a kid..B Borg,Jimmy Conners,Ille Nastasie,Mcenroe,Ivan lendal,Lloydd etc...Funny hairdo's,Wooden Rackets,Fila BJ worn by Borg..Sergio Tacchini worn by Mcenroe,Women wearing frilly knickers,Mcenroe and Conners losing their tempers all the time AHHH the memories...at first i hated it but the more i watched the more i liked....I havn't been for a few years now...Soccer is my thing now absolutely mad about it! but i enjoy watching most sports..

Ben

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Woah you have been to wimbledon how was that? I have seen a lot of those matches with the guys you talk about on ESPN Classic ahhh thats the way to go. And plus sometimes during the majors they run those matches on rain delays. Those are some great matches. You go to love the wooden raquets those are hard to play with but they are cool.

TRD

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wimbeldon is the major event over here in tennis,so what can you say..The atmosphere get's electric when you used to get a long rally(a few years back) you'd here oohh,ahhhh,ohhhh,ahhh each shot.I see the 1980 semi final Conners v Mcenroe it was superb,Mcenroe won if i remember 3 sets to 1...He was beat in the final by Bjon Borg...It's changed alot now with all the shouting out you see on the T.V i think people were alot more reserved in them days!!!

Ben

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Wimbeldon is a huge event in london. But at Wimbeldon now you don't really see that many long rallys cause of the quickness of the surface. The serve and volleyers have a big shot here or anybody with big serves. Hewitt won it last year but I dont expect him to win it again this year. There is a lot of shouting on T.V. but if you notice they refraim from doing it during the points so that they don't disturb the concentration of the players. I remember watching a couple of years ago the Agassi and Sampras match at the Open now that was a great match. I wasn't there but watching it on T.V. you could just feel the atmosphere. I was getting ghosebumps just watching it. When you were watching this match you knew it was going to be a classic and it was. The standing ovations the match had everything you could ask for. I am sadden though that I could never see Borg and McEnroe or Conners play in person when they were in their prime would have really enjoyed that.

TRD

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
That's what i meant when i said" used to get a long rally" Your right today's game is so quick with the hugh serve's and the volley's.It's played at alot faster Tempo aswell.I like the backhand down the line that's a hard shot...Their was some great player's in them day's but the game was so different i think it was a lot harder with the longer rallies,thinking out the shot's etc etc than today's game,today's game is played much more on reaction,power...

Ben

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I love the backhand down the line very hard shot to hit but once you get it is a beautiful weapon sometime when i hit that shot it brings a tear to my eye. Yeah your right TRD the reaction time is very quick now espically with a 140 mph serve coming at you. Sometimes it seems like people just go out there and smack the ball as hard as they can and don't think about anything. I really hate playing agaisnt those players.

I like to play shots out and use high percentage and play smart tennis I enjoy watching that more than anything. The game has gotten so fast that people are retiring at an early age just because they can't keep up.

new topics
top topics

join