It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Pete Sampras

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Well ihavnt seen or heard anything on pete only that he continues to pull out of tournaments..I dont know what he is going to do..

I have a feeling that he wont retire but will just continue to practice and will eventually come out to play when the time is right and he feels that he can do some damage.

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I think his time has come and past their are to many good players about now...He has had his injurys and i dont think he has what it takes anymore but we shall see...

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Mercury News Wire Services

Pete Sampras is making his retirement official, and he will be honored with a ceremony at the U.S. Open in Flushing, N.Y.

Sampras hasn't played a match since winning his record 14th major title at the 2002 U.S. Open, although he never came out and formally said he was retiring.

That will change Monday at a news conference he will hold before a tribute at Arthur Ashe Stadium on the first night of this year's Open, Sampras' representatives said in an e-mailed release.

Sampras was a great player but I think its time he retires. He just had a child and isnt focuse on tennis anymore. I saw an interview with Chris Evert yesterday and they asked her if she thought Pete was the best male player ever. She said she didn't think so because he wasn't able to win on all surfaces, for instance he never won the French Open. That's the clay right??

TRD

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Its about time he hung up his racket and called it a day he was a great champion but i never really liked him..

Yeah french open is clay PA..

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
pete is my favorite player of all time. I am very sad to see him retire. I think he is the best ever regardless of not winning on clay. His grand slam titles speak for themselves. He was practically godlike on grass and hard courts.

TRD

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ok Osobad just for you.....

PETE SAMPRAS FACTFILE

1971: Born Washington DC, United States, August 12.

1988: Turns professional.

1989: Upsets Mats Wilander to reach fourth round of US Open.

1990: Reaches fourth round at Australian Open and a month later wins first Tour title in Philadelphia. In September, wins first Grand Slam title at US Open, becoming youngest player to enter world's top 10 at age of 19. Wins inaugural Grand Slam Cup. Finishes the year at world number five.

1991: Suffers string of injuries early in year. Best Grand Slam performance is at US Open where he reaches quarter-finals. Finishes the year on a high note, winning ATP World Championship in Frankfurt.

1992: Leaps to number two, reaches Wimbledon semi-finals and loses US Open final to Stefan Edberg.

1993: Reaches number one on April 12 and completes his best ever year with wins at Wimbledon and US Open. Also wins six other tour titles. Runner-up at ATP World Championship.

1994: Wins first Australian Open, and second Wimbledon and ATP World Championship as well as another seven tournaments. Holds number one ranking all year.

1995: Wins third Wimbledon and US Open crowns, but his year is overshadowed by illness of his coach and mentor Tim Gullikson who receives treatment for four brain tumours. Sampras breaks down in tears at Australian Open - at which he later finishes runner-up - when he learns of the diagnosis. Loses number one ranking to Andre Agassi after 82 weeks at top. Regains top spot when Agassi is sidelined through injury.

1996: Sampras takes a short break from tennis after Gullikson's death. He falls to number three after a shock third-round exit at Australian Open, but returns to number one less than a month later. Battles against vomiting and dehydration to win US Open. Finishes year by lifting ATP World Championship.

Loses to eventual winner Richard Krajicek in straight sets in Wimbledon semi-finals.

1997: Wins second Australian Open crown, crushing Spain's Carlos Moya in straight sets in final. Loses in third round of French Open to unseeded Magnus Norman but bounces back to capture fourth Wimbledon title, beating Cedric Pioline 6-4 6-2 6-4 in final. Loses US Open crown when beaten by Petr Korda in fourth round.

1998: Loses to Karol Kucera in quarter-finals of Australian Open, and to Ramon Delgado in French Open second round. Leaves his indifferent form behind to beat Goran Ivanisevic in five-set final and emulate Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg by winning his fifth Wimbledon title. Creates tennis history by finishing 1998 as world number one for sixth consecutive year.

1999: Withdraws from Australian Open, citing fatigue. Fails to capture French Open - only Grand Slam title to elude him - but beats Britain's Tim Henman in final at Queen's Club, enters Wimbledon as number one seed. Loses first set and appears to be in trouble against Mark Philippoussis in quarter-finals of Wimbledon, but the Australian injures knee and retires. Sampras advances to final with four-set win over Henman, and defeats Agassi in final 6-3 6-4 7-5 - his sixth Wimbledon title - equalling Roy Emerson's record of 12 career Grand Slam titles. Sidelined with back injury. Withdraws before start of US Open because of injury, but returns to the court and wins World Championship in Hanover in November.

2000: Injures hip in five-set Australian Open loss to Agassi, forcing him out of Davis Cup tie with Zimbabwe. American captain John McEnroe publicly questions injury, straining relationship with player.

In March pledges to make Davis Cup a top priority for rest of year. Aggravates back injury at ATP Tour event in Scottsdale and withdraws before second round match. Returns next week at Indian Wells and loses quarter-final in three sets to Thomas Enqvist. Beats Gustavo Kuerten in Tennis Masters Series event at Miami.

In May loses two of three matches for United States in ATP World Team Cup on clay in Dusseldorf. After overcoming thigh strain to lead USA into Davis Cup semi by beating Czech Slava Dosedel in Los Angeles, French Open jinx continues with first round defeat by Philippoussis.

Loses to another Australian, Lleyton Hewitt, in Stella Artois Championships final.

Seeded first at Wimbledon, Sampras aggravates foot injury against Karol Kucera in second round, but without having to play a seeded player, cruises into final where he beats Pat Rafter to win his seventh Wimbledon title and a record 13th Grand Slam. Hints he may cut back his hectic schedule.

Loses in straight sets to Henman in Cincinnati. Reaches the final of the US Open, but is beaten in straight sets by Marat Safin of Russia. Finishes third in the ATP Champions Race and reaches the semi-final stage of the Masters Cup in Lisbon where he is beaten by Gustavo Kuerten.

2001: Reaches the last 16 of the Australian Open, losing in four sets to fellow countryman Todd Martin. Beaten by Andre Agassi in the final at Indian Wells. Crashes out in the second round of the French Open to Spaniard Galo Blanco.

Makes it through to the last four at Queen's, but is no match for Australian Hewitt, who wins in straight sets. Named top seed for Wimbledon but suffers a shock defeat over five sets to 19-year-old Roger Federer in the fourth round.

2002: June 26: Recovers from two sets down in second round match against Switzerland's George Bastl but bows out of Wimbledon 3-6 2-6 6-4 6-3 4-6.

September 8: Wins 14th Grand Slam title after beating compatriot Andre Agassi 6-3 6-4 5-7 6-4 in final of the US Open. Sampras has not played a competitive match since.

2003: May 16: Announces he will not be taking part at this year's Wimbledon and French Open tournaments.

August 25: Sampras announces his retirement at the place where he won his first and last Grand Slam title, the US Open in Flushing Meadows, New York.

Career Wins-Losses: 762-222

Career Prize Money: �27,445,000

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
thanks TRD!

TRD

posted on Aug, 26 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hey no prob Osobad...I must admit though his record looks mighty impressive..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join