It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Analysis of Past NBA Drafts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This year's NBA draft had some great talent and some good potential, but didn't appear to have any future superstars. I went scurrying for the records of past drafts to see which one was the biggest--which draft produced the most superstars, Hall of Famers, great players, or even consistently good players. I only checked back to 1980, because I was only looking at my own lifetime (what I could remember, that is--I was born in 1972). A few jumped out at me as being especially stellar.

1996 - Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant are no brainer Hall of Famers once they are eligible. I feel Steve Nash is HOF as well, although he may need to pull off one or two years like the past two he has had. Also in that draft were Stephon Marbury, Ray Allen, Antoine Walker, Jermaine O'Neal, and Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

1987 - David Robinson, Scottie Pippen, and Reggie Miller are all first ballot Hall of Famers. Also in that draft were Armon Gilliam (check the stats--much better than you remember), Horace Grant, Derrick McKey (check his stats too), Reggie Lewis, Danny Manning, and Muggsy Bogues.

1985 - Joe Dumars has already been voted in the HOF, and Patrick Ewing and Karl Malone are slam dunk first ballotters. Chris Mullin should probably get in as well, although it will take a few years. Also in that draft were Wayman Tisdale, Xavier McDaniel, Detlef Schrempf, Charles Oakley, A.C. Green, Terry Porter, Michael Adams, and shot-blocking extraordinaire Manute Bol.

1984 - The motherlode of all drafts. Here are just the good to great players: Sam Perkins, Alvin Robertson, Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Jay Humphries, Michael Cage, Vern Fleming, and Jerome Kersey. It is these these four, however, that set this draft apart: Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Charles Barkley, and John Stockton. Seven regular season MVPs, 12 NBA Finals appearances, eight NBA titles, eight Finals MVPs. The accolades are just the start, however. Jordan is the all time leader in PPG. Olajuwon is the all time leader in blocked shots. Stockton is the all time leader in assists (a virtually unbreakable record) and steals. They made first or second team All-NBA a total of 37 times and were named to the first or second team All-Defenseive Team 23 times. Barkley has already been voted into the HOF. I believe Olajuwon will make it in come 2008 while Jordan and Stockton will be voted in the next year.

Only time will tell how the 2003 draft will pan out. We already have three big stars in LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Carmelo Antony.

[Edited on 7/3/06 by BirdstheBest]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It will be hard to beat the class of '84 in the NBA, kinda like the class of '83 for NFL quarterbacks. With players dropping out of the NCAA, or even skipping college, there won't be developed players, and likely won't be polished enough before the team that drafted them drops them like yesterday's garbage.

As far as this year's draft, I don't know that any of these guys will be that great. I think Morrison has the best chance, maybe the Europeans (who I don't know much about)

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I noticed the draft of 1981, which was a sort of sleeper draft. Isiah Thomas was in that one; he's in the HOF. A potential Hall of Famer is Mark Aguirre, and there were several other excellent players in that draft: Rolando Blackman, Tom Chambers, Orlando Woolridge, and Buck Williams. Kelly Tripucka was also picked that year; he had several good seasons with Detroit. Danny Ainge joined the league then as well. He would become a good player, but a terrible crybaby.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdstheBest
He would become a good player, but a terrible crybaby.

LOL!!!

That brings up an interesting point, too. I think that the Celtics of the '80s have produced the most front-ofice types of any team, with Bird in Indy, Ainge back in Boston (after a terrrible turn in Pheonix), and Mchale in Minnesota. Where has Parish turned up?

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Last thing I remember, he was a consultant somewhere, although he does want to get into coaching. For some reason, though, there has not been much of a demand for big black guys. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has been trying to break into the coaching ranks for years, but with no luck.

I agree that those Boston guys were pretty smart, and now they have some good positions. Bird has esepcially impressed me. He was a great coach, then went to the front office where he is doing well again.

new topics

top topics

join