It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: 2005-06 NBA Playoffs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Giants Fan, you missed the Heat's comeback. While the first three quarters were cruising for the Nets, the final quarter was all Miami. They came back from a 28-point deficit, cutting the margin to nine with four minutes to go. They were very much in position to pull off an amazing comeback, but couldn't follow through. The Nets won because of their blazing start. Don't expect that kind of shooting to become routine.

I always remember Pat Riley's comments after the Memorial Day Massacre. For those of you who don't remember what that was, the Celtics slaughtered the Lakers 148-114 in Game 1 of the 1985 finals. After the game, Riley was asked how the Lakers planned to regroup. He answered that they didn't need to regroup because this was just an unusual performance by Boston. He stressed that Boston had shot 60% in that game and firmly stated, "They're not going to shoot 60% every game". He was right, because LA would win that series in six games. New Jersey shot 49% tonight, which is quite high for them. That isn't going to happen every game.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yea, I just read about the comeback a few minutes ago on ESPN. I just had to go based off of stats, and I can only assume the Heat came back because some of the Nets starters were on the Bench? But then I also have to assume the Nets put them back in once they started getting in trouble. I'll have to watch the highlights tonight on EPSN or online somewhere.

The Clippers are hanging in there... only down by 4 midway into the 2nd quarter.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdstheBest
Giants Fan, you missed the Heat's comeback. While the first three quarters were cruising for the Nets, the final quarter was all Miami. They came back from a 28-point deficit, cutting the margin to nine with four minutes to go.

That game was a perfect example of my wife's opinion that it's only necessary to watch the last 5 minutes (or less) of any NBA game.

Women.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Perhaps the CLippers Suns series will be a little more entertaining than I thought. But I still see a sweep here. Won't be but maybe 1 blowout, but I think they'll mostly be close games.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Just a quick sidenote... Chris Paul of the Hjornets will win the Rookie of the year award Unanimously. I thought Bogut did quite well, better thanI expected.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
Chris Paul of the Hjornets...

There's a Scandanavian team? Is that the one Bjork co-owns?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yepper... He co-owns it with me! I wanted the hornets, but it was already taken as a team name,so we just took the Scand pronunciation of it. Like it?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
"He"? In that dead swan dress, I thought Bjork was a chick! Who knew?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Whoops... I had to type that fast as I was in class when I did it... but hey, you never know what "it" really is

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The first half is over in Game 2 of the Pistons-Cavaliers series. Again, Detroit is dominating, leading 52-36. You know, as I watch LeBron James in this series, I am reminded of another #23 who once had problems with a certain Pistons team. In the 1988, 1989, and 1990 playoffs, the Chicago Bulls lost to the Detroit Pistons. Each year they did better, as the series went five, six, and finally seven games. Even back then, the Pistons were renowned for their defense, with Rick Mahorn, John Salley, Dennis Rodman, and Joe Dumars providing the smothering coverage. Michael Jordan had lost his first three playoff series in his first three seasons with the Bulls. In 1988 they finally won the first round series, but in that second round they were trashed by Detroit. I always remember Jordan doing everything he could, yet the Bulls couldn't win. By working against the Jordan Rules defense of the Pistons, the Bulls continued to improve, though. By 1991, the core of Jordan, Scottie Pippen, and Horace Grant had been together for four years, and that year the swept Detroit in the conference finals. I think LeBron is getting the same initiation into the big boys fraternity. The Cavs are still three seasons away from being a great playoff team.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I see that the Mavs schooled the Spurs last night, I wouldn't expect that to happen again this series, but they did let them know that they are for real, and with the series heading to Dallas, it will play in thier favor.

As for the Cavs, they showed up to play, but proved that they just aren't as polished as the Pistons are. Another year or two, they'll be in it. Hopefully I have cable again by then...

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
With three of the 4 series tied at 1-1, you have to think that we are in store for some great games coming up this weekend. I find it hard to believe that they actually took a day off tonight.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Yeah, you'd think they would be having games every night, especially after forcing San Antonio to play on 36 hours rest.

Tonight is Game 3 of the SA-Dallas series. In my view, this is the crucial game. Whoever wins this one wins the series. Dallas handled them easily in Game 2, and only their atrocious collapse in Game 1 kept them from now leading 2-0. The Spurs are tough, though, and they always seem to come through in the clutch. Let me predict a score of Spurs 103, Mavericks 95.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
LeBron James is playing the best game of this post-season tonight. And he only has 16 poinbts, 10 coming in this final quarter. How can he have his best game entering the 4th with only 6 points? The first thing you can note, is the Cavs are up 74-70 with about 3 minutes left. Next you can take the 10 rebounds he has. And the 9 assists he has. And the 3 Steals he has. In the first 3 quarters of the game, he had 4 points in the 1st, 0 in the second, and 2 in the 3rd, because he was getting his teammates involved in the game. That unslefishness- 7 assists at half-time- has kept the Cavs in the game, and is giving the Cavs bench players some confidence against the Pistons. Now that the 4th quarter is here, starting 3 points down, LeBron is taking over. Has 10 points, and is 1 assist away from a triple-double, and is 3 minutes away from a win. The Cavs may have found how they can beat the Pistons. I think this series will be a little more surprising than I expected.

[Edited on 5/13/2006 by GiantsFan]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Cavs pulled off a 86-77 in over the Pistons to make the series 2-1. LeBron finished with a Triple-double, 10 rebounds/assist and 21 points, 15 points coming in the fourth quarter. They dedicated it to Hughes, who's younger brother was killed.

The way LeBron played this game was simply amazing, though he didn't have the 40 point night, and a fairly quiet one overall, I think this was his and the Cavs team most impressive win this year.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The heat took a 3-1 series lead with a 102-92 win at New Jersey. Jason Kidd put up his 9th playoff TRiple-Double with 17 points, 13 rebounds, and 12 assists. it wasn't enough to fend off the Heat and Wade's near Triple DOuble, with 31 points. The Nets will now have to travel to play at the Heat's home court, where they will most likely end their season.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
An absolutely amazing game is taking place right now. The Cavs are leading the Pistons 63-60 with 5:37 left in the 4th. They have held the Pistons to 1 point this quarter, and 1 point for the last 7:15 minutes. LeBron has been fairly quiet, but this quiet night has him with 18 points, 7 assists, and 8 rebound. He's well within reach of getting back-to-back triple doubles here against the Pistons. with a win, the Cavs will tie the series at 2, and give them a HUGE confidence boost, that could allow them to prolong the series, and even have a chance at taking it.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Cleveland Cavaliers tied the series with a 72-74 win over the Pistons. They hel the Pistons scoreless in the last 3:30 of the 4th quarter. LeBron finished 2 rebounds and 1 assist short of a triple-double, leading the Cavs in all three categories. Hamilton put in 30, scoring the Pistons last two points with two free throws to even the score at 72. But good defense, and poor free-throw shooting saved the game for the Cavs.

But who was the hero of this game? It wasn't LeBron, with 30 seconds remaining, back-up center Anderson Varejao took an offensive foul from Billups, giving the CAvs possession. That play is what quite possibly won the game for the Cavs. They will travel to Detroit and try to take a win there. Both teams are unefeated at home in this series, so a win is improbable, but not too far-fetched, and a 7 game series may be heading our way.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The Mavs came away with a 118-123 OT win against the Spurs to lead the series 3-1. The Spurs had 3 players with at least 26 points, Tony Parker having 33 and Duncan with 31. The Mavs also had 3 with at least 26, with Terry leading the way with 32. Harris neared 20 with 18 also. Dirk had 28 points and 9 rebounds in the game, despite rolling his ankle 2 nights ago.

I would have thought the series would have been much tighter. The Spurs still have a chance, but it looks like the Mavs are clearly the better team.

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I was surprised to see that the Mavs are up 3-1 now, I fully expect to see that the Spurs take the next one, especially since it's at San Antonio.

And great job by the Cavs to be even with Detroit. I dont' see them pulling it out, but that is a great way to go!

Have the Nets just given up?

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join