It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: 2005-06 NBA Playoffs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
I had the lakers over the suns, because I thought that they would give them a hard-fought series, which they did.

Nothing personal, jus tglad to see you're wrong, dude.
I didn't see any of the game until I got to the bar, and the score was something like 110-86 at that time.
Not exactly what you'd expect in a game 7.

That shot by Arenas to send Friday night's gamr into OT was ana mazing shot, IMO.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It was an amazing shot, and I meant a hard-fought overall series. In Game 7, the Lakers just gave up. They played their asses off in the first 4 games, which is why they led the series 3-1. They then lost another game in over-time, aand after that, their spirits were shot. After Phoenix tied the series, I knew that pick was going to be be wrong... you could just tell by the Lakers attitude.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Round One for me this year,wasn't too bad... better than last years, record wise. Every pick from the Eastern Conference was correct, but the Western Conference Killed me. The Sacramento series was the onnly one I expected to get wrong. Thge Nuggets and lakers however, dissapointed me. The nuggets especially for letting the Clippers run all over them. I live in Colorado, so have the chance to watch the nuggets play numerous amounts of time, and I "KNew" they were going to be a force against the Clippers. Looks like I was wrong. I had a tremendous amount of confidence in the Lakers, and many had them out before the series began. They led 3-1, and I though for sure this pick was a good one. That is, up until last night.

So this year I went 5-3 in the First-round, 1 win better than last, but could have, and should have, been more. I only had two perfect picks, both the Cavs and Nets in 6. And I didn't have any perfect last year, so that's a sign of improvement. I also ha 2 or 3 that were a game more or less, so I hope to be get 100% accurate in the years to come here on SportzTawk

Anwyway, on to the Second Round:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The Second Round of the Playoffs are here, and here is my analysius of the Second-Round, as well as my picks:.

Eastern Conference

(1) Detroit Pistons face the (4) Cleveland Cavaliers

1st game tips off May 7th at 1:00 PM ET on ABC

Thi will be an interesting match-up I believe. The Pistons lead the seasonal series 3-1, the last win being by a 23 point margin. Since that time, the Cavs have matured more, especially after winning a playoff series. Game 1 should be interesting I think. While many believe that having rest will allow them to be fresh and ready to go, I think the opposite. Since the Cavs have been playing, they are still in their rythm, but the Pistons, because of rest, risk having lost the rythm of their own. But that will be only for game 1, and they will be back to themselves in game 2 on. The Cavs only have one hope and prayer, and that is LeBron James. he doesn't need to score 50 a night, which isn't really possible against the Pistons, but needs to score in the 30's, while getting his teammates involved with 7-10 assists every night. There is no need to explain what the Pistons must do, because everyone knows if they play Detroit basketball, they are nearly invincible. However, that doesn't make me cancel out the Cavs just yet. The Milwaukee Bucks slaughtered the Pistons in one of their games, and the cavs are a MUCH better team than that, so seeing the Cavs actually win this series isn't much of a long-shot. I think this series will end in 6 games. I also think that it could be either team winning this game to advance, but the Pistons are the Pistons, so they are my pick.

Pick: Detroit in 6

(2) Miami Heat face the (3) New Jersey Nets

1st game tips off May 8th at 8:00 PM ET on TNT

I think this is going to be another great series. The heat have the advantage in Walker, Shaq, and Wade... but the nets also have Kidd, Jefforson, and Vinsanity. I think it's going to come down to who wants it more. The Heat struggled playing with the "Baby Bulls", a team many thought were going to get swept. Turns out they were a team that could have taken that series had the Heat not suddenly stepped it up. Seeing this, I think it boosted the Nets confidence. However, the Nets shouldn't have won their series. The pacers had injuries, namely Peja Stojakovic, who in the two games he played in, they won. The Pacers were clearly the better team, but as usual, was plagued with injury and could not close out the series. The heat knowing this, should also have their confidence up. So both teams will be playing with high confidence, calling for a long, heated series. I think the deciding factor in this one is this: Shaq. Who on the nets can really guard him? If Shaq has a few big games, it will be the deciding factor in this series.

Pick: Heat in 6

For those interested, he is a link to the ESPN brackets: ESPN Brackets

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Western Conference

(1) San Antonio Spurs face the (4) Dallas Mavericks

1st game tips off May 7th at 1:00 PM ET on ABC

This will be the best match-up of the playoffs, I believe. A highly confident Mavericks team, who swept a good Memphis team will com in looking to advance to the conference finals. In contradiction to another pick, I think the rest here does play an important factor. Not for the Mavericks, but for the Spurs. The Spurs-Kings battle was a highly physical one, and the Spurs need more than just 2 days rest to be back in shape. Ginobili took numerous hard fouls, Tony Parker will be playing with a highly bruised right leg, with which he played and scored a career high 31 playoff points, and Tim Duncan has had a bad foot all season. I don't think the Spurs have much of an answer for Dirk Nowitzki, and the Mavs noone to really gaurd Ginobili, so I think this is going to be a really good series, that will go to the last second.

Pick: Mavericks in 7

(2) Phoenix Suns face the (6) Los Angeles Clippers

1st game tips off May 8th at 10:30 PM ET on TNT

I only see this becoming a good series if the Clippers actually play like a playoff team here. They were the only low-seeded team to advance in the playoffs this year, and that was only due to highly disappointing play from the Nuggets. The Clippers are a great team, but the Suns are an Excellent Team. After the Lakers series, their confidence is back, and they have been playing better than ever. I don't see this one going past 5 games, and it should be a fairly easy sweep for the Suns.

Pick: Phoenix in 4

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Thanks for your insight, GF, and glad to see your prognostications are getting better as you mature

Anyway, I'll throw my picks in here, too. In the East, I'll say Detroit in 7. They are the older team, and, as you say, the rest will hurt them. The Cavs are on a roll at the moment, but that won't carry them through this series, and the better team will prevail.

As for that other series in the East, I'm looking for the Nets to pull it out, and in just 5 games. I have a sneaky feeling that Shaq will get injured, (he's no spring chicken anymore!) and thier hopes will o down with the big guy.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
In the West, I'm gonna agree with you that the Mavs/Spurs will be the most exciting series. And also with yoru pick. I think this just may be thier year.

And I'll agree with you that the Suns will be victorious over the Clippers, but there won't be a sweep. They'll get it in 6...

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Well... In a quarter and a half, Duncan already has 20 points. Over half of the Spurs 38. The good news? Duncan is playing extremely well, showing that the ankle may not be a factor at all, at least in the earlier games. The bad news? The rest of the team is shooting 5-16. Duncan can't do it all alone, the Spurs need to start spreading out the scoring, or the mavericks will take this series. It's now 40-38, Dallas up.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The Spurs did much better in the 3rd quarter allowing them to stay in the game, being down 72-71. Duncan scored 7 in the quarter, to have 27 heading into the 4th. He had only scored 1 point in the quarter about mid-way through, but picked it back up in the second half. Parker picked up his scoring also, and now has 17. But beyond Parker and Duncan, the next closest scorer is Manu with 10. All three of them need to score in the upper teens to win this series. The mavericks are balancing their scoring very well. They have 4 guys in double-digits, 3 having at least 16. I think they, the mavericks, will pull off tonights game 1 win. This is what will lead them to the game 7 win, as it will take away home court from the Spurs.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The Spurs have taken the lead now, 81-79, but the Mavs look like they won't just fold in.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Some sloppy play, but the home crowd is getting into it...the Spurs are still up, by 3...

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
In a close game all the way through, the Spurs came out on top, mostly due to poor offensive trips in the closing minute of the game by the mavericks. This game should be in over-time right now. Now could be, but SHOULD be. Why? Jerry Stackhouse regained control of a pass from Dirk that was tipped, and stepped back to the three point line, even though they were only down by two. Now, if he had been paying attention at all, he would have seen that Dampier had the lane boxed out, and Stackhouse would have had an easy lay-in off the glass to send it to overtime. It was a mental mistake by Stackhouse, and caused them the game.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The Cavs and Pistons are underway, and even though it's early in the game, the cavs are already doing better than I expected. I figured they'd be more patient, but they are being aggressive and are already in a 12-7 lead, and they seem to be getting to the rim fairly easily so far. The announcers noted that James has only averaged about 18 ppg there this season, wich is why I think the Cavs fell 3-1 in the season series to them. I think if leBron continues stepping up, especially against the Pistons where he struggled this season, this will be a very interestng series.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I figure this to be a tight gaem the whole way, but look for game 2 in the series to be a blowout by the Pistons.
Offensive foul on Gooden...

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The Pistons surprised me with their hot start. Lindsey hunter just hit his 4th of 5 attempts from 3-point, and the Pistons are 10-11 on 3-pt fg. So practically half their points have come from the 3. With 27 seconds left, the Pistons lead 67-46.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
At halftime, the Pistons lead 69-48. The Pistons have been hitting nearly every shot they put up. They are shooting 91% (10-11) from 3-point, and 64% overall. They already have 4 players with at least 12, and Prince leads the pack with 16. As for the Cavs, LeBron is playing well like usual, with 22 first-half points. The rest of his team, however, is failing him. They are not playing as they have been against the Wizards. The Wizards were more of an offensive threat, yet the Cavs are letting a defensive team score 69 first half points on them. I think from this game it's clear that the Pistons will take the series, but I still believe Cleveland will get at least one or two.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The Detroit Piston won a 113-86 route of the Cleveland cavaliers. It was Pistons from the very get-go, and was surely as sign of things to come in this series. I'm pretty sure the fact that LeBron James scored not a single point in the second-half of the game was an indicator to why they lost, and how well the Pistons played.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well, well, the Spurs won Game 1 even though they only had 36 hours rest. San Antonio has found a way to step it up in the playoffs again and again. I just don't see Dallas winning this series, especially when SA has home court advantage. My pick is the Spurs in six. As for the Phoenix-LA Clippers series, look for the Suns to wrap this one up really quick. Not a sweep--I say the Clippers win one game. The Lakers just caused so many problems with their height and overall quickness; the Clippers just don't have that.

In the East, don't expect the Cavs to do too much damage. Maybe they'll win two, but don't be surprised if the Pistons take it in five. Now the Nets-Heat series is really interesting, with so many X factors in play. Yeah, this one is so hard to pick. I'm basing my choice in Shaq's Game 6 performance (30 pts, 20 reb) and picking the Heat in seven.

I still cannot believe the Lakers blew that series! They had that ridiculous opportunity in Game 6. Raja Bell was out, the game was in Los Angeles. They blew it! Ugh, I still am sick over that one.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I was unable to watch the Nets game tonight, so I must go based off of stats right now. And based off of that, it looks like the Nets dominated this one, scoring 38 in the first quarter. The final score was 100-88, but the stats from 3 of the Nets players show how easily they took on the Heat. Jason Kidd had 22 Points, 7 Assists, 9 Rebounds, and 4 Steals. Huge numbers, but not to be outdone... Vince Carter put up 27 Points, 6 assists, 8 Rebounds, and 3 Steals. Richard Jefforson also pitched in 20 Points, 5 assist, and 4 Rebounds.

With such amazing balanced play as displayed tonight, the Nets can, and most likely will, take this series fairly easily. Shaq and Wade both need to pick up their game. Wade had 25 Points along with Shaq's 10 Rebounds in the loss.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Also, Phoenix is already off to a good start against the Clippers. It is 23-12 with 3 minutes left in the first, of what will be one of the least entertaining second-round match-ups in a few years.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join