It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: NBA banishes drugs offence star

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Just came across this on a well known UK news site. I'm quite amazed with how much the US has been cracking down on drugs in sports that he is the only one...

New Orleans forward Chris Andersen has become the first player for 10 years to be thrown out of the NBA for drug use.
The NBA said Andersen was "dismissed and disqualified" for violating the anti-drugs programme agreed to by the league and the NBA Players Association.

BBC Sport

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I find it ludicrous that their players can be thus banished, and effectively have their NBA careers end unless they are enormously talented, for a drug like codeine. I read the drug list in the story on espn.com, and I'm in total agreement with having that penalty for methamphetamine (crank), coke, heroin, etc., but codeine??? What genius decided a man's life should be ruined over THAT one?

I sure hope that wasn't what got Anderson.

B.H.N.

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Dear All:

MAN!!!! I looked over and saw that I made a post on the NBA on 1/28, AND that it was the most recent thread (!?!??!?) on the NBA!!

As I said several weeks ago, it appears that nobody on this site is any more interested in pro hoops than I am. That is to say, nobody here gives any more of a s--- than I do, in which case we're all severely constipated on the NBA.

If you think back just 10 years, that's a huge comment on how the mighty have fallen. Like everyone else here, I think the wounds are self-inflicted. The fact all the best players graduate from high school and go straight to the NBA, without developing a fan base in college, surely has hurt. But if these young players played like teammates--the way Jordan, Bird, Dr. J, Stockton and above all Magic did--instead of revelling in "the glory of me"--they could develop a great following without the benefits of NCAA stardom.

And yeah, like you guys insinuated, it probably would help if they didn't act like most of my ex-clients... quick to perceive the most grievous disrespect where none was intended, to resort to violence that turns the stomach of almost all hoops fans and their families, and acting like punks whose murder convictions I've occasionally (and very sadly) gotten overturned in appeals.

I have a nephew who is much bigger--built like a linebacker--than his schoolmates in junior high. And he's a mean-spirited bully. He's long delighted in pushing his classmates around. One day, I'm happy to report, he bullied the wrong small kid... one with training in some kind of self-defense. And he got his @ss kicked real good. He'll never do it again--which is good for him, because that lesson was much better learned at age 12 than at age 17--because he'll never again assume his size edge means he automatically wins.

That's what these NBA players need, no?

Or maybe they need a commissioner who accepts the fact that in American culture--NOT just black culture, but young white American culture, too--men don't accept serious physical provocations without fighting back.

DID YOU GUYS when young? I am almost 53 and have degenerative arthritis and sciatica, so against an NBA player, I'd probably have to settle for filing a lawsuit, but 25 years ago, I'd have clobbered him and taken my @ss-kicking, just like many of you guys would, right?

So here is what I think:

STERN needs to spend more time VERY CAREFULLY REVIEWING the tapes of these fights and near-fights, where pushing and shoving breaks out, or where someone throws a missed punch, or where one player lands a punch, or where each lands one and it's broken up right away.

And where it's OBVIOUS one guy started the whole thing--especially by throwing the first punch or hard shove--THAT GUY should get a month off, minimum. And I mean it. No pay. Zilch.

The other guy? Unless he went completely overboard in response, he was just acting like all of us have been conditioned to act, as proud men who won't let someone spit on us without doing something. So let him off with a small fine or a one-day suspension, if that, because he only acted as mainstream American society dictates we're all supposed to act when physically assaulted.

In fact, I saw a football game several weeks ago where one player spat on another player, and the second player threw a very obvious hard punch. The zebra flagged and expelled the first player, and did nothing to the second one. THAT is the approach I am advocating.

But just flat crucify the first punk, and next time, I'll bet anything it doesn't happen.

What do y'all think? Would THAT help clean up the league, make players behave like humans, and maybe revive interest in the NBA? I mean, they DO have a guy who's scoring like a modern-day Chamberlain, and how many thought they'd ever have that? Yeah, I know what the guy is, but Jim Brown's record with women was just as atrocious and for a great deal longer period of time....

B.H.N.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hi Basketballhistory nut,

Hope you don't mind a few follow up questions to your post.

The fact all the best players graduate from high school and go straight to the NBA, without developing a fan base in college, surely has hurt. But if these young players played like teammates--the way Jordan, Bird, Dr. J, Stockton and above all Magic did--instead of revelling in "the glory of me"--they could develop a great following without the benefits of NCAA stardom.

A lot of great players have come out of high school straight to the NBA. Off the top of my head theres Lebron, Garnet, Kobe, Jermaine O'neal, and the classic Darryl Dawkins. I know there might have been others that slid under that radar and should've gone to college, however, can you blaim these kids for going straight to the NBA to make big money rather than risk getting injured in the NCAA and losing it all?

I always felt that "the glory of me" started with Michael Jordan, who did attend college for 3 (?) years. He took the focus of the game from team oriented to individual oriented (at least until the 90's when the Bulls destroyed everyone). What I mean is most players are looking for their own shot and the team aspect has fallen by the wayside (for most teams, maybe not Detroit). Anyway, I blame the whole be like Mike thing for kids trying to achieve personal glory over team glory, which I think made the NBA less exciting and is slowly killing off the NBA fan base. Also just so you know I have bad feelings toward Jordan since he obviously pushed of on Byron Russel against Utah in 98 (?). Utah should've won that series but they're a small market team, but then again I'm very biased.

Anyway, excellent post and I hope I somewhat expressed what I was going for here.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Kwyjibo, great point about the "Be Like Mike" promo, and that was about the time that the "stars" of the NBA now were at an impressionable age...you are on to something, my man! The selfish attitude of modern players (most, that is, there are some exceptions to the rule) is what is ruining the game, the American team, and the lague.

The root cause of this should be determined, and you may have just hit the nail on the head. "I want to 'Be like Mike' and have a sneaker named after me! I want to hang my toungue out when I dunk!" etc. It's all "Me, me, me"

That being said, I think that overall, MJ was a a good teammate. He just didn't have much of a team surrounding him when he was younger. Or after that second comeback from retirement. He helped those around him become better players. He's not my all-time pick for greatest player in the NBA, though.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hey Gibbs Baby!!!

I'm glad my post my made sense to you. The NBA got huge after Jordan got all commercialized (not to discredit Bird and Johnson). I grew up wanting to be like Mike, and after 90-91 he proved himself a team champion.

Just out of curiousity, who is your pick for best of all time? I see you got a Jazz logo. I lived in Utah when I first got into basketball and my pick is Stockton, but I'm wicked bias.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Dear Kwyjibo,

No, I can't and don't blame the great high school players for skipping college. I don't remember the name of the college football player who got his knee torn apart in his senior year bowl game, but it cost him a fortune--even with his Lloyds of London policy, and even though he did make the NFL. And sure, if these high school students had the manners I had when I graduated from high school--manners I had no choice but to have--they might well develop a prompt fan base in the NBA.

I will admit that when I wrote that post, I was thinking Jordan is not a perfect parallel to Magic and Bird. I also recall being amazed, the first time Jordan retired, at how good an offensive player Pippin suddenly was. If that blind or corrupt official hadn't called that ridiculous foul on him against the Knicks in the final two seconds of Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals, Pippin probably takes an otherwise mediocre (except for Cartwright) Bulls team to the finals. And I had NEVER perceived he had that kind of offensive talent while Jordan was there. So you may well have a point.

About the pushoff... We all know there are special rules for special players. Mark Eaton was allowed to play illegal defense for many years, thereby infuriating other teams, because the result was that their inside offensive game was just flat destroyed. But it was the same for every team who played against them.

And no, I don't think that's nearly as egregious as letting the greatest player of all time push off to get open for the NBA Finals-winning shot. I saw the same thing you did, and was stunned they didn't whistle it. It was obviously a case of letting the king go out on top. If they'd known he was coming back AGAIN, I wonder if they'd have blown the whistle. My guess is yes.

BHN

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
BaseballHistoryNut,

I always thought the Jordan/Pippen combo was the 2nd best next to Stockton/Malone. Pippen was a superstar in his own right and I think he suffered from sharing the spotlight with Toni Kucok (sp?) after Jordan first retired.

The pushoff thing will haunt me to the end of my life. Malone and Stockton deserved that ring. Also I lost a bet with a friend of mine when I was in High School and that that irked me to no end. The refs would never call that on Jordan, especially at the end of an intense game like that

-Kwyjibo

[Edited on 4/6/06 by Kwyjibo]

top topics

join