It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: nba pioneer george mikan dead at 80

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
the first of the nba "big men" is dead, george mikan lead the minneapolis lakers to 5 nba titles in 6 years, he set the standard in the early years of the league, college basetball put in the goaltending rule because of him and the pros widened the foul line

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
This has to be one of the greatest players that has played in the NBA (tall men that is). He had a great jumpshot and I think that is what he is most known for! R.I.P.

[Edited on 6/3/05 by travy51]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The world has lost a great pioneer and an even better man. I saw a show about him not too long ago and how the NBA isn't really taking care of the pre-1965 players despite the lucrative revenue it now generates because of guys like him. The NBA wouldn't be the multi-billion dollar business it is without the likes of Mikan and others and he didnt get treated the way he deserved to be, especially in the later years. I hope that the NBA comes to their senses as there are still alot of living men who were a big part of the NBA's early success who are barely getting by.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Shaq says arrangements are made for Mikan's funeral expenses

The family of George Mikan accepted Shaquille O'Neal's offer to pay for the late center's funeral expenses.

O'Neal said arrangements were finalized Friday. ``Everything's going to be handled,'' O'Neal said.

Mikan, the NBA's first dominant big man, died Wednesday night at a rehabilitation center in Scottsdale, Ariz., following a long fight with diabetes and kidney ailments. He was 80.

O'Neal said he greatly enjoyed getting to know and speak with Mikan on several occasions. Shortly after the Heat beat Detroit 88-76 in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference finals on Thursday night, O'Neal said he would like to handle the funeral costs.

``I heard they were having some trouble, some problems, so if you contact the Heat office, I would like to pay for the funeral,'' O'Neal said.

O'Neal and Mikan are linked by leading the Lakers franchise to multiple NBA championships; Mikan carried the Minneapolis Lakers to five titles in a six-year span. O'Neal led the Los Angeles Lakers to three consecutive championships from 2000-2002.

sports.yahoo.com...

Although this hardly even puts a dent in Shaq's bank account, it's the thought that counts here and thats nice to see out of one of the league's premier players. Its nice to know that some players havent forgotten those that make these opportunites possible. Its also nice to know that Mikan's family will be without the financial worry of burying him while they grieve. A big thumbs up to the Diesel.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I had read the history of the NBA years and years ago, and Mikan saved this sport nearly single handedly. It was surprising to see him several year's ago at the 50 greatest players reunion. at the time, there was only one of the 50 not living, Pistol Pete. Now, there are 3, they could have thier own Mount Rushmore.

It is really great of Shaq to pay for the funeral expenses, my hat's off to the big guy.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I thought I'd share the link for NBA.com's peice on Mikan.

Mikan LINK

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Thanx for that link Gibbs. That was awesome. Shaq has to be one of the most generous big guys that I have heard of in the NBA. He is an all around good guy.

top topics

join