It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: NBA awards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
OK, Bobby Simmons own Most Improved. And it looks like Gordon is getting the 6th man award. And Okafor will get the rookie.

What about MVP? Will Nash nab it?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Okafor, later today, will be presented with Rookie of the Year. He deserves it. We have to honourably remember Howard though for his contribution to Orlando. Only player in history to play in all 82, starting, as a rookie. Go Dwight!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Okafur played in all 82 games!?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Nope, only 73. travy is talking about Dwight Howard, from orlando. Impressive stat find, man!

So, what do you guys think of the MVP, who will take that?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Well it is already taken. Okafor is a respectable player but the thing is that Dwight should have been awarded it for he lead his team all season. He was more of a leader than Francis because if he (as in Francis) didn't get his way, he would not play to his fullest and complain. Dwight though, played to his best capabilities and he played 100% every night. He is going to be a star in Orlando and I definately think he will re-sign when it comes to that time.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It looks like the MVP award is a two-man race with Nash and Shaq. I think they're both deserving as look at the turnaround by both the Heat and Suns when these players arrived. It's hard to compare them though as they are totally opposite type players. There's no doubt that both players make everyone else on their respective teams better. The argument they were making on one show I was watching is if you were to take Nash and Shaq off their teams, who would be a better team? I'd definitely have to say that the Nash-less Suns would be better than the Shaq-less Heat, so does that make Shaq the MVP? I think it's going to be a tight vote either way.

Arizona Republic
The Suns' Steve Nash or the Miami Heat's Shaquille O'Neal will win the NBA's Most Valuable Player award, to be announced next week.

The race for the NBA's 50th MVP is too close to call. The Republic surveyed 104 of the 127 writers and broadcasters with MVP votes and found that Nash and O'Neal each received 51 first-place votes. Amare Stoudemire of the Suns and Tim Duncan of the San Antonio Spurs received the other two.

Based upon the 10-7-5-3-1 points system (10 points for a first-place vote, seven for second, etc.), Nash holds an 875-869 lead over O'Neal. When the announcement comes (likely Tuesday or Wednesday), it could produce the smallest margin ever between the winner and runner-up. Since writers took over the voting from players in 1981, the tightest races were when Magic Johnson edged Charles Barkley by 22 points in 1990 - despite Barkley having 11 more first-place votes - and when Karl Malone edged Michael Jordan by 29 in 1997.

For the sake of Nash's chances, it is a good thing his opinion won't count. Nash believes O'Neal should get the award.

Nash would be the first point guard to win the award since Magic Johnson's 1990 victory and only the sixth guard overall.

www.azcentral.com...

I think if the Sixers had a bit more success this year that Allen Iverson would also be in the running, he had an awesome year and basically carried that team. He became the first player ever to finish in top five in points, assists and steals per game in the same season. He averaged 30.7 points per game and 7.9 assists per contest, only Jerry West, Nate Archibald, Michael Jordan and Oscar Robertson have averaged 30-plus points and seven-plus assists in a campaign in NBA history. That's pretty good company.

[Edited on 5-5-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I didn't know that about Iverson, that's an impressive set of stats.

I think Shaq was always going to be in the running if they had a decent season.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Another thing that Shaz has going fo rhim is how bad the Lake show was this season. In the finals last year, remove Shaz, now they don't even make the playoffs???

IMHO, though, it shold go to Nash.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Looks like the voters agree with me -

Nash has edged Miami center Shaquille O'Neal to become just the fourth point in MVP history to win the league's highest individual honor, according to sources familiar with the results. The others are Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson and Bob Cousy.

source

ESPN

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Just heard it on SportsCenter too, although the NBA wont announce it until Sunday, ESPN reports that Nash has won the MVP.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Watching Washington's series-clinching win over Chicago on television with his Miami teammates, Shaquille O'Neal heard Wizards fans chanting, "We want Shaq! We want Shaq!"

Bad move.

"Be careful what you ask for," O'Neal said Saturday. "We'll be ready."

So, while Phoenix guard Steve Nash formally is named the NBA's Most Valuable Player on Sunday, O'Neal insists all his attention will be on the Wizards, whom the Miami Heat host in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals.

O'Neal said he didn't consider losing the MVP race to be a snub. Others strongly disagreed; Heat coach Stan Van Gundy called the result "beyond ludicrous."

"If you went and asked any general manager in the league for the past dozen years who's the one player they'd want to have, they'd say Shaquille O'Neal," Van Gundy said. "And he's been selected by you brilliant people in the media, selected as the most valuable player in the league one time. Once? Only once?"

www.sportsline.com...

Nash actually said that he would have voted for Shaq if he had a vote.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
As much as I hate to admit it, but shaz is actually seemingly a nice guy, especially with those comments. And Nash is, of course, an all-around great dude.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yeah, I`ve heard Shaq is a great guy as well. As much as Van Gundy can say Shaq has only been voted MVP once in 12 potentially winnable years, the award goes to the player who is the most valuable to his team during one NBA regular season. And that player this year was Allen Iverson. Let`s not kid ourselves, he was absolutely outstanding and as ProudAmerican said - the only player to ever be in the top 5 for scoring, assists and steals, with a 30-plus average to boot. I`m a Magic fan so my beef is with ROY not MVP so I`d like to think I`m relatively unbiased.

As far as Shaq v Nash goes, Nash gets my vote because of the way Phoenix played without him, plus the way Wade carried the Heat multiple times while Shaq was contained. Not that my vote matters, especially now.

Well done Nashy!

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
We should have saw this coming, Dan Le Batard wrote a column in Sunday's Miami Herald wondering if race had anything to do with the MVP voting outcome. I think it's pretty sad that the issue was even brought up, but I guess whatever it takes to sell newspapers.

Dan LeBatard, Miami Herald, Sunday May 9, 2005

Unprecedented choice for MVP begs question

How much of this has to do with race?

A lot?

A little?

Or ''zero,'' as Miami Heat president Pat Riley said before the little white guy beat the big black guy for MVP?

I don't pretend to know these answers. There is no good way to do these measurements with science or math. And I, too, am tired of seeing racism thrown like a Molotov cocktail into discussions where racism doesn't exist.

But don't you have to ask these questions when confronted with something unprecedented?

Or do we just continue laughing and making noise at our playoff cocktail party while ignoring the pinkish elephant standing in the middle of the room in a Nash jersey?

No one who looks or plays like Steve Nash has ever been basketball's MVP. Ever. In the history of the award, a tiny, one-dimensional point guard who plays no defense and averages fewer than 16 points a game never has won it. But Nash just stole Shaquille O'Neal's trophy, even though O'Neal had much better numbers than Nash in just about every individual statistical measurement except assists, so it begs the question:

Is this as black and white as the boxscores that usually decide these things?

Nobody is suggesting voters made their selection while wearing Klan hoods. Today's racism rarely is that overt. It tends to be hidden better than that, as it is with the NBA's proposed age restriction, a rule that would ostensibly affect all creeds and colors but really affects only one.

Does that mean commissioner David Stern is racist? Of course not. But, in that age restriction, he is proposing something that basically affects only black people until the age of 20.

And you can see why blacks might see the prejudice in that, just like Jews might object if there was suddenly a $2,000 tax placed on all flights to Israel.

The rule might apply to everyone flying to Israel, but one group is more likely to see and feel the anti-Semitism in it more than others.

Does it mean that a prejudice exists? Maybe. Maybe not. There are usually other valid explanations, too. But if only one group feels it, it might as well exist. And that's where this MVP discussion gets tricky:

Voters might have simply chosen Nash because he was different and the underdog. And being white is part of what made him those things.

www.miami.com...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I believe Nash was a great MVP for this league. He is also Canadian so that works. He makes Phoenix the best they can be. Play to their best capabilities. See the blowout yesterday. That is what I mean!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

After unleashing the Phoenix Suns to a frenetic pace and guiding them to a league-best 62 wins, Mike D'Antoni is the NBA's coach of the year, according to several sources.

source

ESPN

I think this may be redundant, giving both MVP and coach of the year to the same team. It's like they are saying Nash was MVP, but couldn't have been with out D'Antoni there.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Agreeing with you totally, I think Nate McMillan should have received it because he brought a team that was last year not the greatest team up and to a great winning record.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yeah, I didn't really think about who should get it last night, but you make an excellent point. Nate's been a good coach for a ahile now, but he really showed it this season.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
It all seems a bit too much this time around, I'm not saying they didn't deserve it beacuse they did but wouldn't have been my choice.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Their are lots of people who deserve a lot in this league who don't get it. That is just how it goes though

new topics

top topics

join