It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: What do you think about a real draft for NBA players?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
What would you think to see Garnett in a LA Clippers uniform, or Bryant in a Raptors uniform......I would think it would be a big change if the NBA did a draft and mixed up players to different teams. It would take a lot of work though. Finding the right people for the right team is a thing that might show interest to non-watching NBA people!

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Are you saying redistributing the players in the NBA?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well, I am not saying that it would happen, I thought it would be a change for players to join a different team. It was a suggestion. Things would be mixed up and some of the teams that cannot afford the players might have a better chance.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You don't think that the salary cap does a good job re-distibuting the players?

Actually, I'm with you on that, there are some flwas in the current system, but it's not that horrible, there is competition out there, if only in the west...

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Don't you think there is enough of a lack of dedication in the NBA without needing to do an entire league draft? It's not like back in the day when players stuck with franchises... *sigh*

Apart from Garnett, Duncan & Iverson, there's really no franchise players that seem particularly dedicated to their teams...not counting Kobe as he drove a fellow franchisee out.

Hopefully LeBron, D-Wade, Melo etc. are the new generation of players that stick to teams - and here's hoping that GM's put their faith in players like that as well.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by massivmickyd
Hopefully LeBron, D-Wade, Melo etc. are the new generation of players that stick to teams - and here's hoping that GM's put their faith in players like that as well.

Great point, that is something that isn't looked at too much in the media. Not that many GM's are around that long, either...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Salary Cap really sucks. They need to do something with it. Stick with one salary cap for the whole league!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by travy51
Salary Cap really sucks. They need to do something with it. Stick with one salary cap for the whole league!

Exactly, like the NFL does. I remember reading a listing of player salaries several years ago. Jordan's was higher than some teams entire payroll...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Why do the NBA have a lottery pick for the No1 pick
why is it just not like the NFL draft

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by travy51
What do you think about a real draft for NBA players?

Are you suggesting doing this every year? Because thats more or less what they did when they started the NBA and then you draft each year based on where you finished in the standings. The teams probably wouldn't be as good either as the better temas in the league right now are good because they have chemistry and have played with the same players for a while and know how each other plays.

It's an interesting idea though, I actually redrafted the whole league on my NBA Live 2005 for PS2. It's strange seeing Shaq on the Warriors.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Not every year, maybe every ten years. Well that is kind of where I got my idea. But in my NBA ESPN nasketball game, Vince and Shaq always get paired together. I would just find it interesting for a team to have better chemistry because as we all know, the past few years Detroit, San Antonio, and LA Lakers have basically controlled the league. I think that at the least, the salary cap should be set at one, simple salary. And like someone else said, there are players salaries that are bigger than a whole teams. For instince, O'Neal has a payoff this year of 29 million alone. The Raptors have a salary of around 50 someodd at the beginning of the year. I find it stranger that players like Garnett have payrolls of 120 over the next I think 7 years and it makes me think that it is not about the game anymore, it is about the money and what they can do with it!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Do you think any of the players are worht that kind of coin?

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I don't think they are. If one player goes out with injury, who do you think will step up? Oh yeah, the players that aren't payed as much. I think there are players out there that could be great players but don't get that much time. Trade them, at least do something with them. I am a Raptors fan myself, and there have been many star that have came out of Toronto. For instince, McGrady, Camby, Stoudamire, Arroyo, etc.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I don't like the way that players in the NBA move from team to team so often, I'd prefer if more players stayed wiht one team for thier entire career, like in the old days. I know that's not in the near future, but that's how I think it should be...

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well this might sounds weird after I said the whole draft thing but I agree. If you get a good player you should think they should play hard for you and stay with it. Not go off and try to make a dynasty. I think that it is all about the money. No doubt about it.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
yeah, sports seem to get more an d more dissappointing as we go on....

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I find it pitiful!

new topics

top topics

join