It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Ron Artest suspended for the rest of the year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
NBA suspends Artest for rest of season; eight players get shorter bans

November 21, 2004

NEW YORK (AP) -- Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday as the NBA came down hard on three members of the Indiana Pacers for fighting with fans when a melee broke out at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Overall, nine players from the teams were banned for 143 games, including some of the harshest penalties the league ever issued. Artest is the first player to be suspended for nearly an entire season for a fight during a game.

Indiana's Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace -- whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the 5-minute fracas -- drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

Four players were suspended for a game apiece: Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson -- who all threw punches at fans in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game Friday night -- began serving their suspensions Saturday. Indiana, limited to just six players because of the suspensions and injuries, dropped an 86-83 decision to Orlando.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sounds about right to me...now how about the penalties for the fans?

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon

You are kidding arn't you i was expecting him to get 30 games not bloody 73

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
hopefully the fans that were involved will be identified and charges pressed. i think it will be a long time before this mess is behind us

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
hopefully the fans that were involved will be identified and charges pressed. i think it will be a long time before this mess is behind us

In a similar situation, they used videos of a riot in State College, PA a few years back to prosecute the revelers. I'm sure it will be easier to get the people that were invovled in this mess, and, hopefully, deal with them apropriately.

And yeah, that is a fair punishment for Artest. This should start to help control the actions of these athletes.

Wasn't there a guy several years ago who went into the stands in Seattle?

Ben

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
This is not the end, expect lawsuits to be handed out to the NBA players, A fan has a right to be on a court, cause well were was the person to stop him, not around, and since when did it become legal to throw a punch at somebody for talking.

Expect millinos of dollars to go towards some of the pistons fans that were hurt in this incident.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
wether there is someone around or not a fan has no right to onto the court, just as he has no right to on a baseball field or a soccer pitch...when he goes there then he is fair game, those are the atheletes areas, just like the stands are the fans areas....both the players AND the fans were wrong in this case, i believe that if the nba is serious about the safety of their players and fans what they need to do is keep all the seats behind the hockey boards and glass....this would at least provide some barrier between the players and the crowd....of course this will never be done, it would mean that the big bucks seats around the benches would be eliminated,

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
here is david sterns' statement on the suspensions....the director of the players association says they will appeal on monday...

NBA Commissioner David Stern's statement on suspensions

November 21, 2004
NBA Commissioner David Stern's statement accompanying the announcement of suspensions for Friday night's Pacers-Pistons brawl:

``The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident -- that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self-control that should fairly be expected from NBA players. We must affirm that the NBA will strive to exemplify the best that can be offered by professional sports, and not allow our sport to be debased by what seem to be declining expectations for behavior of fans and athletes alike.

``There are other issues that the NBA must urgently focus on at this time. First, we must redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds. Participants in and around the court must be assured complete protection from unacceptable fan behavior. Second, we must re-examine the adequacy of our current security procedures in Detroit and our other 28 arenas. The actions at Friday's game, though unprecedented, must now be factored into all efforts to guarantee the well-being of our fans. Third, we must develop and implement new NBA rules to assure that the unavoidable confrontations likely to occur in the heat of competition are not allowed to escalate to the level we witnessed on Friday even prior to the egregious behavior by individuals in the stands.''

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdyBaby

Originally posted by Cannon

You are kidding arn't you i was expecting him to get 30 games not bloody 73

I'm not kidding. Artest rushed the stands and could have potentially hurt more fans who had nothing to do with the incident. Jesus, there were children in that stadium. Banning him for a year seems especially tame considering his earlier audacity to ask for a month off earlier, and undermine his team's chemistry, no to mention his past history of anger problems.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with the severity of the suspension either.

They are making an example out of him most likely but I'll be really surprised if another player ever goes into the stands when they are facing forfeiting their entire season pay and that's alot of money.

And I agree with tj that if a fan enters the field of play, regardless of the sport, he is fair game. It's like an unwritten law in sports and you should know this before you think of making an appearance on the field/court/etc.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I wish he would be gone a tee wee bit longer, this behavior is not for the NBA, it shouldnt be tolerated there is no need for a bad boy image in the nba, all it is now is rappers

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I suppose Stern has done this to make sure it never happens again which in a way is the best thing in the long run

Still dont agree with the length of the ban for any of them i mean Wallace gets 6 games (for what!!!!!)

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
i hate david stern. this suspension is absolute crap.

Ben

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The suspension in my mind is not long enough by far because, 1. Why did he start the fight o because somebody threw a bear cup at him, and since when did it become right for somebody to fight somebody over that. 2. it is right for jermain o'neal to come out of no where, and throw a punch to break a guys vertebrae, and put him in the hostpital, when he wasnt doing anything wrong but just yelling at a player. We all yell at players so does that give them the right to hit us out of no where.

These NBA players think that they are holyer than anybody else in the stands, and that they can get away with more things, these punishments are not by far long enough especially to Ron Artest, Jermain O'Neal and the other pacer. I do agree with the fact that Wallace shouldnt be banned that long.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdyBaby
I suppose Stern has done this to make sure it never happens again which in a way is the best thing in the long run

Still dont agree with the length of the ban for any of them i mean Wallace gets 6 games (for what!!!!!)

Darn tootin, he's setting an example to kep this from happening again...

And Wallace was involved from the get-go. He and Artest. I think he should get more games!

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yeah but lets say for arguement sake if the incident in the seats did not happen what sort of punishment would Big Ben of got because as far as i can make out Wallace pushed Artest on court I guess Wallace may have got ejected but not banned

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I think, in that situation, the suspension may not have hapened. But, we'll never know.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's a tough situation to call. It's very easy to be biased on this but the simple answer is everybody was at fault.

To me, Wallace needs to be suspended for starting an on-court brawl which then escalated - 6 games seems about right, maybe a touch harsh. Artest's suspension is just right - I think a year without pay is very appropriate for actions like that.

The two that seem a bit odd to me are Jackson's and O'Neal's suspensions. Jackson went into the stands punching as well - surely he should be out as long as Artest was? Yet O'Neal, who got suspended for around the same length of time, only took actions on the court - which as many of you have said, is fair game. Any fan rushing the court to challenge players deserves punishment. Likewise, any NBA player rushing the stands to challenge fans is worthy of punishment - these areas need to be kept separate.

Im sorry but I cannot condone these people sticking up for the fans. Both sides were at fault, but to throw things onto a court and rush the court is asking for trouble. To claim that 'no security means fans can go on the court' is just plain stupid.

The Pacers are sure going to feel the ramifications of this one for a while...and hopefully several hundred idiot Pistons fans as well.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
what has been bothering me about this today is that artest has been banned "for the rest of the season" does this mean that if the pacers make the playoffs he will then be eligible....i certainly hope not

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
what has been bothering me about this today is that artest has been banned "for the rest of the season" does this mean that if the pacers make the playoffs he will then be eligible....i certainly hope not

I think that he will be, at least that's what I get from ESPN's interpretation, I beleive they said "the rest of the regular season"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join