It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Basketball: Pistons - Pacers Brawl !!!!!

page: 3
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
An arbitrator ruled Friday that he has jurisdiction to decide whether the brawl-related suspensions given to Ron Artest and other NBA players can be appealed to someone other than commissioner David Stern. Mediator Roger Kaplan set a hearing for next Wednesday, although the league quickly filed a lawsuit challenging Kaplan's authority.

The NBA's suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan, named the National Basketball Players Association, Artest, Stephen Jackson, Anthony Johnson and Jermaine O'Neal as defendants and said they improperly tried to require the NBA to litigate the propriety of the suspensions before a grievance arbitrator.

The suit seeks a declaration that Kaplan has no authority. Also, the Oakland County prosecutor's office said it believes authorities have identified each of the Indiana Pacers players and fans who violated state law in a brawl last month at The Palace, though it will not release identities until charges are filed. The NBA contends the commissioner has sole authority under collective bargaining rules for imposing discipline on players for on-court behavior.

The players' union argues it never agreed to the spirit of any rule that would give the commissioner unchecked power to levy suspensions of the length he gave to Artest (the remainder of the 2003-04 season), Jackson (30 games), O'Neal (25 games) and Anthony Johnson (five games) for fighting with fans during a wild melee at the end of an Indiana Pacers-Detroit Pistons game two weeks ago.

"Ultimately, one way or another, that issue is likely to get decided in federal court," NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik said. "Our view was (the arbitrator) should not even look at it, so we didn't submit anything."

In his ruling, Kaplan indicated next Wednesday's hearing would first decide the arbitability of the union's attempt to challenge Stern's penalties.

If he were to rule in the union's favor, he would then hear arguments on whether the commissioner had just cause to levy some of the longest fight-related suspensions in league history. The union said the suspended players would travel to New York for the hearing, although the league could ask for a temporary restraining order halting any such proceeding. Union director Billy Hunter issued a statement saying he was pleased with Kaplan's ruling.

Associated Press




posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
By the time this gets sorted out all of the suspensions will have been served except Artest's.


TRD

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Indiana Pacers guard Fred Jones and a brother of Detroit Pistons center Ben Wallace were identified by police as participants in last month's NBA brawl, the Detroit Free Press reported Saturday.

Videotape of the brawl shows David Wallace, 33, of Selma, Ala., in the midst of the melee at The Palace in Auburn Hills on Nov. 19, the newspaper reported, citing an unidentified source close to the police investigation.

Ben Wallace, who rejoined the Pistons on Friday in San Antonio after a six-game suspension for shoving and throwing a wristband at Indiana forward Ron Artest, said he was unaware his brother had been identified by police.

A woman who answered the phone at David Wallace's home Saturday said he would have no comment. Last month, he denied being involved in the mayhem.

Rest Of Story Click Here!



posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Indiana Pacers guard Fred Jones and a brother of Detroit Pistons center Ben Wallace were identified by police as participants in last month's NBA brawl, the Detroit Free Press reported Saturday.


I sure hope Ben pays for hi sbrothers legal fees...



posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Police hand Detroit brawl case to prosecutors

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Police turned the findings from their investigation of the Pacers-Pistons brawl over to the Oakland County prosecutor on Monday, and charges are expected to be announced Wednesday.

"While the investigation will continue, all of the major suspects have been identified and are now under review for possible criminal charges," prosecutor David Gorcyca's office said in a release.

The fight among spectators and players broke out after an on-court dispute over a foul during the game on Nov. 19. A fan hurled a drink at Indiana's Ron Artest, who then charged into the stands. Other Pacers players and fans joined the melee. Several people, including a police officer, were hit with a chair that was thrown.

Gorcyca has said players and fans could be charged with misdemeanor assault and battery. The only possible felony charge under consideration would be against whoever threw the chair.

"Warrants will be issued based largely upon the numerous and lengthy video tape, as well as approximately 1,000 pages of reports. Everyone involved in the violation of a state law will be held accountable, regardless of their stature at the game," Gorcyca said.

CBS Sportsline



posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Police turned the findings from their investigation of the Pacers-Pistons brawl over to the Oakland County prosecutor on Monday, and charges are expected to be announced Wednesday.

Sources have told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith that the district attorney's office in Auburn Hills, Mich., will formally announce charges against five Pacers players. According to Smith, Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson, David Harrison, and Anthony Johnson will all be charged for their roles in the Nov. 19 brawl with fans attending the game against the Pistons.

Specifics of the charges are not yet known.

Prosecutor David Gorcyca has said the players and fans could be charged with misdemeanor assault and battery. The only possible felony charge under consideration would be against whoever threw the chair.

sports.espn.go.com...


TRD

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Five Indiana Pacers players were charged Wednesday for fighting with fans in the stands and on the court at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons last month.

Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, David Harrison and Anthony Johnson were all charged with one count of assault and battery, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of about three months in jail and a fine of up to $500. Jermaine O'Neal was charged with two counts of assault and battery.

Police requested arrest warrants for the five players.

Five fans also were charged, according to WXYZ-TV.

Oakland County Prosecutor David Gorcyca said he would announce the charges at a news conference later Wednesday.

Associated Press



posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Jermaine O'Neal has been cleared to play on Christmas Day -

ESPN article



posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Artest can practice

No word on shorter suspension, but Walsh hopeful

Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest will return to practice next week for the first time since being suspended for the remainder of the season after fighting with Detroit fans on Nov. 19.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Friday that the team has been working with commissioner David Stern and the league to get Artest to practice but stressed that he has not been reinstated.

"The league has allowed us to bring him back to practice," Walsh said. "I'm sure he will return sometime next week."

Depending on the team's practice schedule, the All-Star could be back with his teammates as early as Monday. Walsh said the team received the go-ahead to allow Artest to practice about two weeks ago, but the Pacers' glut of road games prevented them from doing so until now.

"He looks really good," Walsh told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. "He's kept himself in shape. He's hungry. He's got a lot of energy."

"We've got two games to play before he practices," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said before his team played in Miami on Friday night. "I know Ron's been looking forward to coming back. We'll see. We'll see. We plan to get him involved in a way that will help the team."

Having Artest back in practice will make the Pacers better, said reserve guard Anthony Johnson.

"It will definitely increase our intensity and the execution level in practice having an All-Star player return," Johnson said. "It brings in a player with a high skill level who really likes to get into guys, a great defender. ... I know he's really going to elevate our play as a whole team."

Walsh said it was important to get Artest back with the team in some way so he did not feel abandoned while sitting out the entire season.

"He's isolated," Walsh said. "I think it'll be good for him and it will be good for the team."

Artest has spent some time in Conseco Fieldhouse working out on his own, and Walsh said he is eager to rejoin his teammates. He will not be able to attend games or go on road trips.

"I don't think it's good for him to just be out there," Walsh said. "He is our player. I think it would be good for him to get back. He wants to practice."

It was Artest who bolted into the stands after being hit in the face by a cup thrown by a Pistons fan, touching off a nasty brawl between players and fans. Artest exchanged punches with several fans, as did Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal.

Jackson was suspended for 30 games and is due to return Wednesday at Boston. O'Neal's 25-game suspension was reduced to 15 by an arbitrator and he has been back since Dec. 25.

Walsh said the league also did not allow O'Neal or Jackson to practice initially but relented as their return dates grew closer.

With Artest back in practice, the Pacers will have their full team back together for the first time since the November brawl. Jackson has been practicing and traveling with the team for about 10 days, according to Walsh.

On Tuesday, Artest and other Pacers players must be in Detroit for a preliminary hearing on criminal charges filed. On Thursday, the team is back home for a game against the Pistons. That means Friday may be the first time Artest has a chance to practice with the team.

Though he still holds out hope, Walsh made it clear on Friday that Artest's return to practice should not be confused with his return to game action.

"This in no way should be taken as an indication that he will return this season," Walsh said. "It has nothing to do with him being reinstated."

However, the Pacers and NBPA have made separate pleas to Stern, asking him to reduce Artest's suspension.

"I have no assurances of anything," Walsh told Ford. "I wouldn't take this as any indication that he's going to play again this season. But we did talk to Stern and made our case. We received no commitments from the league that they're going to reduce the suspension."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ESPN



posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
I've seen the video at least 100 times as I watch SportsCenter about 5 times a day and I'm sure most of you have seen it over and over and most likely tired of seeing it. But in case anyone has missed it (or lives under a rock
), here is the footage broken into three segments.



Pistons - Pacers brawl Pt 1
Pistons - Pacers brawl Pt 2
Pistons - Pacers brawl Pt 3




thanks PA, i have only seen a wee bit of it before on the tv. eurosport i think it was. just watched the first video clip and woah! and hehe. looks like chaos, i'l check out the other parts later on

good stuff



posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You know, hearing that he might return soon made me think.

That wasn't a penalty he served. Just two weeks before the brawl he was asking for a couple months off because he was tired and wanted to promote the new cd he produced. Everyone said he was crazy and a bad teammate because he wanted to take time off. So one night he loses his mind and goes into the stands swinging at fans and what is the result? He gets his two months off.


Ironic I'd say.



posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Maybe he's smarter than wew think



posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Yea, that did get out of hand, and even though i live in mighigan i do not agree with some of the choices that the pistons players made, yet, artest did some silly little things to. Ben Wallace #3, was going though a harsh time with him mom and all, but one of the guys that fought and is not aloud back in the Palace of Aburn Hills is his brother! they were both used for pertection. and yes, artest was for pertection, but him going up into the stands...i think not...



posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Prosecutor recommends no jail for Shackelford

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. -- A fan changed his mind and pleaded no contest Friday to a charge of walking onto the court during a November brawl at an NBA game.

Alvin Shackelford Jr. pleaded no contest to the charge of violating an ordinance barring spectators from entering a performance space. Joan Bacon, who represents the city of Auburn Hills, recommended no jail time for the 21-year-old spectator.

A no-contest plea is not an admission of guilt but is treated the same as a guilty plea for sentencing purposes. Sentencing is March 16.

Shackelford was hit by Indiana Pacers forward Ron Artest after approaching the player on the court during the Nov. 19 melee at The Palace. The charge is punishable by up to 90 days in jail or a $500 fine.

Earlier, Richard Alger, Shackelford's lawyer, chose to go to trial after the judge refused to guarantee she would not sentence his client to jail.

Asked about the day's developments, Shackelford said: "We'll see how I feel later after sentencing."

Charlie Haddad, 21, also is to be sentenced March 16; he pleaded no contest last month to the same charge. Four other Pistons fans and five Indiana players are charged with assault and battery in the fight. Another fan, Bryant Jackson, has been ordered to stand trial on a charge of felony assault for throwing a chair.

ESPN



posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
an interesting twist -

PONTIAC, Mich. -- A lawyer for the man charged with throwing a chair during the Nov. 19 brawl at the game between the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons must testify for the prosecution, a judge has ruled.

Kenneth Karasick had sought a court order to keep prosecutors from calling him to testify against his client, Bryant Jackson.

Charges were filed against five Pacers players and seven Pistons fans, including the 35-year-old Jackson.

Prosecutors say that when Karasick met with Auburn Hills police to review a videotape of the fight, he told a detective, "That's our boy," when the chair thrower appeared on the screen.

On Wednesday, attorneys for Karasick argued that forcing him to testify would violate attorney-client privilege. Oakland County assistant prosecutor Paul Walton said that the privilege applied only to conversations Karasick had with Jackson, not those with the Auburn Hills detective.

Circuit Judge Rae Lee Chabot agreed with prosecutors but said they would have to limit their questioning of Karasick to what he said to police about the video, according to the Detroit Free Press and The Daily Oakland Press.

Karasick has denied making the statement to police and has said, through his attorney, that if he is called to the stand, he will repeat his denial under oath.

A pretrial hearing is scheduled for March 23.

ESPN



posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I thought the whole fight was funny and look what happened to them after it they all got suspended .... maybe they'll get better draft picks now haha_javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')



posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   


After leaving the door open for Ron Artest's possible return to the NBA this season, commissioner David Stern closed off that possibility on Monday.

"Our goal is to do everything we possibly can to ensure Ron's return to the NBA next season is as smooth as it can possibly be," Stern told The Indianapolis Star.


ESPN

Appropriate. Hopefully the fans involved can't return, either.



posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   


AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- The bomb threat that delayed the matchup between the Detroit Pistons and the Indiana Pacers for 1 hour, 25 minutes Friday was one of four received that night regarding the game, police said.



Story link



posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I ran accross this little nugget just now. Anmd guess what, he's going to appeal!



The man accused of sparking the brawl between players and fans at The Palace of Auburn Hills in 2004 was convicted of assault Monday for punching Ron Artest.

John Green was acquitted, however, of throwing a cup at Artest -- who was playing for the Pacers at the time -- before the forward charged into the stands and began fighting with Detroit Pistons fans.

Green was the last person with a case pending after the brawl, one of the worst in U.S. sports history.


Source link -

CBS Sportsline



posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
And it might be a perfectly righteous appeal. You don't have to wait until a man of Artest's colossal size actually clobbers you before you throw a retaliatory punch--as if you could, at that point. Not knowing what the appeal is based on, nor what all of the relevant facts are, I wouldn't dismiss the appeal so lightly. Having ice cubes thrown on you is not an excuse for running directly at someone a foot or more shorter than you with fire in your eyes and your fists clenched.

B.H.N.

[Edited on 3/30/06 by BaseballHistoryNut]

[Edited on 3/30/06 by BaseballHistoryNut]



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join